PDA

View Full Version : CASA Reviewing Qantas

Sunfish
3rd Aug 2008, 20:44
CASA is apparently reviewing QF's Engineering activities.

The phrase "being savaged by a dead sheep" comes to mind. I also wonder where he is going to find the labor for the "additional checks" Cox mentioned?

From The ABC:

Qantas says a review of its operations by the Civil and Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) is unlikely to unearth any unpleasant surprises.

The review was announced by the regulatory body in the wake of a series of incidents on Qantas planes, the latest being an hydraulic fluid leak en-route to the Philippines.

CASA says it has no evidence that safety standards have dropped at Qantas, but extra checks will be carried out to make certain.

It says additional checks on top of the normal routine will be carried out over the next two weeks.

The executive general manager of Qantas engineering David Cox says the airline has a long and respected history of safety and he welcomes the review. (no thanks to you, buddy)

"CASA is just doing their job and as I said we would encourage them to do that and we would always wants to be transparent and open about what we are doing," he said.

Mr Cox says Qantas will fully cooperate with the CASA while it carries out a review of its operations.

woollcott
4th Aug 2008, 01:47
I just hope they start at management level first......................

Never seen such poor management in 25+ years in the airline.

And just wait for a certain ATSB report to be made public.................

acslame
4th Aug 2008, 02:14
CASA says they have no evidence that safety standards have
dropped at QANTAS.
What a crock!!!!!!!
How many CAIR reports, ASIR's , form 2000/500"s
does it take?
CASA are more interested in collecting fee's than
actually regulating.
Everytime I deal with those doddering old fools
I feel like I am on the set of DAD's Army.

We have been telling CASA for years what is
going on and yet I have never seen them take
any action against QANTAS. In fact they
give greater self regulatory powers to QANTAS
as a reward.

As I recall they had no problems with grounding ANSETT
for maintenance issues, but QF get away with blue
murder.
One would almost be excused for thinking that someone
in CASA was getting looked after.
Looks to me like QANTAS calls the shots and CASA just
nods its head.
License payments and red tape is all CASA is good for.
I wonder what needs to happen before the toothless tiger
springs into action?

drshmoo
4th Aug 2008, 03:02
Unfortunately the answer is Hull Loss. This unfortunately will be the only catalyst for change after the usual smoke and mirrors. Change not only with the regulator but the companies own version of affordable safety. Its a shame we are seeing QF go so far down this road.

I'll bet we wont see much change in any work practices after this week regardless of outcomes of investigations. But we will see more spin and advertising.

RU/16
4th Aug 2008, 05:55
It seems the answer is as easy as what was done to Ansett 8 years ago! Oh thats right we couldnt ground part of the fleet of the flag carrier could we. Hate to be a conspiracy theorist but seems to be differnt rules for different parts of the industry.

Boratous
4th Aug 2008, 06:15
ACSLAME

We have been telling CASA for years what is
going on and yet I have never seen them take
any action against QANTAS. In fact they
give greater self regulatory powers to QANTAS
as a reward.

You're absolutely correct. CASA has for years ignored breaches by QF and let then regulate themselves - too timid to take regulatory action lest it offend QF. QF whistleblowers have been shamefully let down time and again by CASA who, rather than taking action itself, has let QF investigate itself and then CASA just accepts the findings of QFs "internal" investigations (which obviously never find any problems). Similar breaches by smaller operators would result in some form of action by CASA. But clearly QF is a special case and CASA management would prefer not to take action against its most valued "customer". As was mentioned in evidence before the Senate there has never been one regulatory sanction taken against QF - not even an infringement notice for fear of offending QF.

QF seems to have become untouchable - even to the point that it can delay and delay prosecution action in the Launceston incident (an action brought against its pilots not QF itself - but which is being funded by QF) to the point that they can then argue than the case should be permanently stayed because of delays!!!! The DPP itself does not come out of the Launcestion incident looking too flash either as it has allowed QF to employ such tactics for several years while the matter was before the courts.

Scooter
4th Aug 2008, 06:24
You said it - but I disagree with the different rules things for different companies.

Wasn't it a low cost carrier that had a huge problem some years ago when they were exposed as not even having a maintenance system to track what parts were on what aircraft and Boeing had to intervene?
Talk about hazardous!!!
This sort of thing should have resulted in grounding of their fleet until that problem was resolved.
CASA is a toothless and gutless tiger that failed to intervene.

Also there was mention of a fairly new jet (same airline apparently) that was flying around for 6 months without the standby (emergency) hydraulic system even connected!
The Captain had to even point out the bleeding obvious to an engineer, who, along with the unwitting previous pilots that flew this aircraft never even noticed this potentially hazardous and simple oversight!!! :=:=

In both of these cases this airline should have been grounded or reprimanded until the problems were rectified.

Also the maintenance organisations in Asia that seem keen on stapling together emergency evacuation lighting wiring and lock wiring closed pilots emergency oxygen supplies should be severly scrutinised by CASA and have their maintenance accreditation reviewed.

Hell - wasn't it a Qantas A330 that was delivered from Toulouse direct to Melbourne and arrived with all of its paint having peeled off the roof of the aircraft?
A quick 180 back to the culprits at Airbus was in order in this case.

I wonder whether CASA has the guts to take on a major manufacturer?

Clipped
4th Aug 2008, 06:33
CASA reviewing Qantas - over a few luncheons, I suspect.

Gibson and Cox, putting on the illusion of action because of the media scrutiny.

Will that be red or white, gents?

bdflight
4th Aug 2008, 06:37
AN embarrassing series of mechanical problems continues to plague Qantas, which has grounded a Tokyo-bound jet at the last minute so it can change a faulty part.However the airline's engineering boss David Cox has said the CASA probe would allow Qantas to prove that some incidents are just part of running a major airline. Outgoing airline chief Geoff Dixon has said there are no "systemic problems" (http://www.news.com.au/business/story/0,27753,24124376-31037,00.html) with the carrier.Just reading an article relating to a 4th incident, and the CASA probe.
I wonder how many airlines have had 4 problems in 10days, its probably happened? and the medias overplaying it?

Full article here: Another Qantas flight grounded as safety probe announced | NEWS.com.au (http://www.news.com.au/travel/story/0,26058,24120975-5014090,00.html)

Stationair8
4th Aug 2008, 07:38
If you were RPT operator with a couple of piston twins, and you had a an engine shutdown in flight, missed an AD or an incorecctly fill in maintenance release, CASA would be all over you like a rash, with threats of your AOC being pulled etc.

Lets see what MR Byron does to protect the travelling public?

Ngineer
4th Aug 2008, 09:10
Something CASA will be investigating is the inadequate staffing levels of LAME's on duty at the SDT, SIT and Servicing crews. Saving money by not training is one thing, but then not having enough type rated LAME's on shift for adequate supervision (skimping on labor costs) and expecting to work per company procedures, thats asking for trouble. How can you run a crew with 1 or 2 LAME's, and possibly work by Qantas's engineering PM?
Hopefully CASA will realise that the Engineering policy manual that we work by is unworkable due management's pocketbooks.

Ngineer
4th Aug 2008, 09:17
Everytime I deal with those doddering old fools
I feel like I am on the set of DAD's Army.

ACSLAME, I sometimes feel like that too mate. I remember recently almost giving up on a safety issue I was trying to raise with CASA, mainly because the old fella I was dealing with had no idea and was not interested. He eventually tried to pass the buck to BASI. It was a complete waste of time and a joke.

Green gorilla
4th Aug 2008, 09:38
Thats right nothing is wrong because they are the national carrier.

ruprecht
4th Aug 2008, 11:35
As a "new Australian", one of the things that I marvel at in an otherwise wonderful country is the way that the general public and - more significantly -the beurocracy, both revere and are driven by the media.

In most places that I have lived (including places where the media is heavily "controlled"), sensible people have a healthy scepticism of print and TV news. In Australia, rather sadly, news and news programmes (including so called "investigative journalism") have mutated into a cross between "infomercials" and outright sensationalism clearly designed with the main aim being to sell more newspapers / improve TV ratings etc. Journalists thrive on "patterns" with the serial killer being much more juicy and newsworthy than an equal number of singular murders. If patterns don't really exist, pretending that they do is the next best thing.

If you're a new Australian, then this should be compulsory viewing.:ok:

http://shop.abc.net.au/multimediaitems/images/product_images/7/741100.jpg

ruprecht.

neville_nobody
4th Aug 2008, 12:19
I suggest that they look at what was a MEL item 20 years ago and see what has been whittled away. Given they are going to the same destinations over the same routes in either a 747-400 or 300 it is amazing how light on todays requirements are......but there's been no change in QF's standards.... :rolleyes:

clapton
5th Aug 2008, 10:52
All we need now is for someone to properly review CASA...........

Jabawocky
5th Aug 2008, 11:02
Did someone whisper lunatics running the assylum?:uhoh:

The Mr Fixit
5th Aug 2008, 12:03
'Being savaged by a dead sheep' ;)

Beautiful Sunfish Beautiful :D

Gibson, Australia's answer to Parkinson 'asking all the HARD questions' :eek:

Pedota
5th Aug 2008, 23:07
The "unprecedented" investigation as reported in Airline Transport World . . .

Qantas faces special safety audit
Tuesday August 5, 2008

In an unprecedented move, Australia's Civil Aviation Safety Authority launched a two-week special audit of Qantas, which said it welcomed the move, hoping to put an end to the publicity that has resulted from incidents it labeled as largely normal, everyday airline events.

CASA said yesterday that there was no evidence to suggest safety standards had fallen at QF but that it is it taking additional precautions following the latest incident, which involved hydraulic fluid leaking from a 767. The carrier's safety record came under intense scrutiny after a decompression explosion forced the diversion of a 747-400 to Manila late last month (ATWOnline, July 31).

"I wouldn't say we're concerned about Qantas's safety at all. In fact, we've found no evidence of safety slipping within the airline or safety standards being allowed to drop at all," a CASA spokesperson said. "However, we need to be flexible and proactive and respond to those [concerns] and that's what we're doing."

CASA told media that the special investigation team will examine in greater depth a range of issues such as safety systems and maintenance over the next two weeks. The spokesperson added that there is no reason for the Australian public to lose confidence in QF.

The airline promised it will work with CASA on the review. "Our operations are first class and are continually subject to the scrutiny of Australian and overseas regulators as well as our own internal audits," Executive GM-Qantas Engineering David Cox said. "We have no issue with this latest review and CASA says it has no evidence to suggest that safety standards at Qantas have fallen. We agree and are totally confident these checks will confirm the integrity of our engineering and maintenance operations and our commitment to safety."

Last year QF underwent 13 CASA audits as part of regular checks along with 159 internal audits and 75 external audits by foreign regulators and various manufacturers and airlines.

by Geoffrey Thomas

packrat
5th Aug 2008, 23:26
There are none so blind as those who do not wish to see.

Mstr Caution
6th Aug 2008, 00:53
Last year QF underwent 13 CASA audits as part of regular checks along with 159 internal audits and 75 external audits by foreign regulators and various manufacturers and airlines.

Now that Joyce will be the CEO of Qantas, will he now pick & choose which safety audits to complete.

I seem to remember that the Qantas Group has all aircraft fleets audited via means of the LOSA audit, except the Jetstar fleet that is.

MC:8

6th Aug 2008, 04:19
Then, Mstr Caution, your memory might well be wrong.

And in many years of aviation, have not often met someone as safety conscious as AJ.

Mstr Caution
6th Aug 2008, 05:29

Being safety conscious doesnt mean the audits were done.

I'd be interested to hear when exactly the LOSA audit was conducted by auditors from the parent company.

And when were such results provided to the crew after such audit?

The buck stops with the CEO, recall the July 21st 2007 missed approach incident at Melbourne airport involving a J* A320.

The ATSB contacted J* on the 11th September 2007 only after media reports of a potentially serious incident.

Further information was provided to the ATSB & the ATSB re-assessed it to be sufficiently serious to warrant the immediate initiation of an investigation.

The actions at the time of the above incident dont highlight your "safety conscious" culture.

Ngineer
6th Aug 2008, 08:00
GD's latest announcement re "CASA review" shows he is either the worlds greatest bullsh*t artist, or has his head seriously lodged in his backside.

Recent suggestions, for example, that Qantas engineering has cut back on training......

WTF!!!?

Unfortunately, media interest in our operations also attracts ill-informed and, at times, totally incorrect commentary, some from people pursuing a range of agendas.

Too bloody right! Agendas such as $$$mill bonuses.

Capt Kremin
6th Aug 2008, 08:17
AJ safety conscious? You mean the man who is on record as saying he expects to burn-out his pilots in 6-7 years, but that's ok because there are plenty more of them to be found? That AJ?:=

Bad Hat Harry
6th Aug 2008, 09:06
Some of the stuff that AJ said to ingratiate himself is now coming back to bite him in the bum.
He will most likely laugh it off when reminded.
Vee haf longue memorees littel ****emeister

Captain Sherm
6th Aug 2008, 12:01
Captain Kremin,

Did AJ actually make that "burn out" statement? Really? If he did that's enough to cast serious doubt on his suitability as an AOC post-holder. If you have actual court-room level first hand evidence of his having said that in front of witnesses then could you post that please? I have friends at JQ who deserve to know the truth and other friends considering going there.

Otherwise, and I say this with kindly sincerity, withdraw that post and the comment therein, lest you be labelled by some less generous than me as a mindless and rabid JQ hater who doesn't care to let the facts (or absence of them) get in the way of a good sledge. I have no idea whether AJ is the litigious type, but a post like that is a good way to find out.

Mstr Caution
7th Aug 2008, 00:57
Captain Sherm.

Here's a cut & paste from a thread title Jetstar Pilot life expectancy.
Sounds like Captain Kremin was referring to this thread.

Jetstar pilot life expectancy

I have just completed my medical. Apparently little Alan was quite outspoken at a recent forum attended by a number of DAMEs. He said he expects JQ pilots to burn out in 6 to 7 years, but he is not worried, they will be easy to replace. Aussies overseas are becoming more desperate to return home. The most recent 330 recruiteing program has proved this. He also confirmed AWA's will be introduced at JQ.

JQ International pilots will all be doing 930 hours per annum

I called another DAME mate who confirmed the statements were made.

Nice to know he is thinking of the welfare of his pilots and doing something positive about it!!!

And for the lawyers, no I didnt make this post. Only reproduced it here.

The Blurr
7th Aug 2008, 12:36
I wonder if CASA will talk to any LAMES or just QRSM box tickers?

blow.n.gasket
8th Aug 2008, 01:57
Why not let the engineer's union become observers to the audit?
Then there could be no doubt whatsoever as to the credibility of the audit results.