PDA

View Full Version : ATPL/CPL/IR(airline) Training - Advice

TakeTwo
30th Jul 2008, 20:20
Hi

This is my first post on here although I have visited this site for a good number of years. Thank you in advance for taking the time to read my post.

To cut a long story short I would I would like to tell you where I was, where I am and where I want to be.

It all started out with having the boyhood dream of wanting to be a pilot. I started flying at 13 and when I was 18 I got my PPL. I then went on to university(to get a good educational backgorund) but I somehow managed to talk my parents and girlfriend(now officially the wife) to support me financially in persuing modular training at OAT starting with the ATPL element. Along side my training with OAT for the ATPLs I was hour building at my local flying school where I put up in advance £XK to benefit from reduced cost of flying hours. Unfortunately this company went down the drain and so did all the hard earned money that was supposed to be invested in me. Whilst this was happening I had passed 13 of the 14 ATPL exams and failed the 14th at 72%(due to a revision/training method I had at the time this was my 6th sitting so it resulted in me having to the whole lot again which looking back I deeply regret). Overnight I effectively went from trainee airline pilot to aircraft enthusiast. I could not even maintain my PPL although I still maintain my Class One medical.

The bulk of the financing came from my parents remortgaging the family home and a good portion of my wifes inheritance money. You see, our family is not rich and all they did was to try and make my dream into reality.

So, a good few years at 29 I have no degree, no flying career(yet!!) and I am only educated(on paper) to A-Level standard. Nowadays, me and the wife own our own home, are financially doing 'ok' and are now in the next year or so(perhaps sooner) able to finance another crack at the big time.

I am just a tad worried about my age(29!!!) and my subsequent background fell within insurance so not exactly great in terms of a technical background. What I do have is a drive to succeed and the passion to get the dream I always wanted. Would an airline be interested in what I have to offer having spent a significant amount of money?

Thank you if you managed to read this far and I would be extreme grateful for any advice you wish to give and I am sorry for starting a novel.

thanks

TakeTwo
(Pun intended)

FlyingIsFun
31st Jul 2008, 19:52
I dont think your age is a problem at all. I know plenty of people who set off down this road well into their 30's. I even know one chap who got taken on by a regional at age 53.

The biggest concern right now for you may be the general state of the economy. There are many current discussions and opinions on this site, you need to make up your own mind whether pilot recruitment is likely to decline or not.

If you are working, why dont you go down a modular route and train when time permits. You can certainly get CPL and Multi training on a part time basis. IR is a bit more difficult but it can be done if you really want to.

Its not clear from your post whether you need to do the ground exams again...again.. If so, you will probably find you have retained a fair bit of knowledge in your long term memory once you start getting into it again.

cheers
FIF