View Full Version : Conditional route question

Charley
29th Jul 2008, 20:44
May I ask for some advice?

There are some CDRs that can fall into more than one CDR category. I have come across one which is both a CDR1 and CDR3. How do I flight plan this route? Is it even possible?

A (plannable) CDR1 seems to be mutually exclusive from the CDR3s, which are 'not plannable per se' and used tactically by ATC, so I'm confused.

The supreme irony of it all is I don't even want to use the airway as it's an upper and I'll be too low, but the direct routing I'd hoped to exploit is only available when this particular upper airway is also available.

And even this is only because my original route didn't comply with the RAD, the RAD-friendly alternatives go somewhat around the houses and add a few too many track miles.

Any insight gratefully received. Ta :)

ayrprox
30th Jul 2008, 00:07
ok, im assuming the CDR you are using is taking you through a danger area. It will be plannable (i.e CDR1) outside the hours of activity of that area. however , we as ATC may also make use of that same route if the danger area closes early or is closed for a period of time notified to us (CDR3) , i.e tactically.

So in your case you may only only flight plan this route during the times it is notified as being available, otherwise flightplan around. There is nothing to stop you asking in the air if the danger area affecting the CDR has, or is closed early and whether the route is available. the worst we can do is say no!

Charley
30th Jul 2008, 12:36
Makes sense, thank you very much.

:ok:

StillDark&Hungry
30th Jul 2008, 13:24
On the subject of CDR's is everyone aware that a certain Irish budget airline won't flight plan on CDR's as their ops department have, a) no link to receive NOTAM's and, b) too few staff to file individual plans!

Therefore, they decide to flight plan 10's, even 100's miles further than they need to to save staffing costs! and then rely on the goodwill of ATC to give them direct routes even though they're carrying excess fuel!

In these times of high fuel costs is it any wonder that they're now making a loss!