PDA

View Full Version : Qantas makes emergency landing ADL (Adelaide)

staplefordheli
28th Jul 2008, 15:21
AFP reporting loss of door on Qantas forcing emergency landing at ADL Adelaide. Also being reported on Sky. Incident reported Late monday night Aus time

Goffee
28th Jul 2008, 15:30
Coo, its all go here, isn't it!

Hoping that this was a false alarm, in heightened circumstances.

If not, hope all are safe and am sure that the crew did a fine job. One that will be misrepresented by the bumbling hacks rushing to generate some sales/page views/whatever.

Let the speculators commence

wrenchbender
28th Jul 2008, 15:32
Fresh scare over Qantas flight
BY CLAIRE LOW AND KATELYN JOHN
28/07/2008 11:24:00 PM
Qantas authorities were investigating last night another in-flight emergency which saw one of its aircraft forced out of the sky.
Passengers on board a Melbourne-bound Qantas flight from Adelaide told the ABC the aircraft had to return to Adelaide Airport because of a mechanical problem.

Passenger Rocco Russo said he heard a rattling noise about 10 minutes after take-off.

The pilot told passengers there was a problem with a door closing above the plane's wheel.

A Qantas spokeswoman said last night that flight number 692 from Adelaide to Melbourne performed a routine air turnback shortly after take-off because of an indication of one of the landing gear doors failing to retract.

The plane landed without incident and all passengers were accommodated on other flights.

"There was no risk to safety at any time," she said.

Taildragger67
28th Jul 2008, 15:37
QANTAS

Queensland
And
Northern
Territory
Aerial
Service

There is no 'U' in Qantas... :E

BBC saying it's Melbourne.

Oh well, it's all one place, really: 'South Eastern Australia' according to the wine bottles.

pasoundman
28th Jul 2008, 16:30
Who is they subcontracted their maintenance out to again ?

scrunchthecat
28th Jul 2008, 16:45
The US cable news network MSNBC is reporting this event. The anchors claim that passengers said there was "chaos" on board.

11Fan
28th Jul 2008, 17:11
I love how they were "forced out of the sky".

How does that work actually?

Phil1980's
28th Jul 2008, 17:31
Quit Anal Negligence To Air Safety

I can't think of anything else, I've searched every "Q" in the dictionary:p

Rawrawhammer
28th Jul 2008, 17:33
QF is loosing more doh then they're making these days..shame..shame..shame..well not really who cares they kind of earned it.They had a choice so can't be sympathetic.
Anyway..anyone noticed the CH9 morning news background picture is a constant QF logo even when they are talking about something totally irrelevant to QF or flying itself.It's been like that for the past few days or longer.Some ones gotta personal grudge I say...

Shady q4 08

Finn47
28th Jul 2008, 17:51
Apparently the nose gear door of the 767 did not close properly.

AdelaideNow... Qantas flight returns to Adelaide after undercarriage problem (http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,24092268-5006301,00.html)

Passengers speak of "terrible vibrations" and "absolute chaos on board" (so what else is new?)

Riccardo
28th Jul 2008, 18:17
Sounds to me like a press sensationalised air turn back. Air turn backs are quite commonplace. I doubt it would have been of any interest whatsoever had the 747 thing not happened beforehand.

PC767
28th Jul 2008, 18:36
From parts of the hull parting company with the rest of the aircraft, to laughing gas in oxygen tanks, total electrical failures and now dodgy under-carrage doors. Is this just a case of increased reporting and awareness, are incidents such as these going on elsewhere with aviation or has something fundamentally gone wrong with Qantas.

barit1
28th Jul 2008, 18:50
PC767 indicates to me a total lack of awareness of the redundancy-upon-redundancy built into the commercial aviation system. Of the many many thousands of parts in an airliner, despite the best attention of the wrenchbenders, occasionally something doesn't work quite right and the journos shove a microphone & camera in an inconvenienced pax's face and ask "How does that make you feel?" (That's what they're trained to do!)

If journalism had 1% of the professional integrity of a good airline, you'd see a HUGE difference in its product. :ugh:

PC767
28th Jul 2008, 18:57
No, I understand all that barit, my point was has Qantas traded its reputation to save some cash or is the press hounding and picking on the company.

lomapaseo
28th Jul 2008, 19:14
From parts of the hull parting company with the rest of the aircraft, to laughing gas in oxygen tanks, total electrical failures and now dodgy under-carrage doors. Is this just a case of increased reporting and awareness, are incidents such as these going on elsewhere with aviation or has something fundamentally gone wrong with Qantas.

yes, I believe that you have hit the nail on the head

MarkD
28th Jul 2008, 19:57
does Proon still filter "bad" words, and if so can we make "Quantas" one of them?

QF22
28th Jul 2008, 21:34
Video footage shows VH-TJU but we all know how the media get it wrong !

If it was TJU it is just got back from C check at MAS in KL.

carbonneutral
28th Jul 2008, 21:47
QF692 OGK B767 ADL MEL 28/7. Left main gear failed to retract after takeoff, returned to adl for an ops normal landing. Some noise and vibrations associated with flying around with the gear down. Not sure where they got "chaos on board", pax and crew were calm and collected at all times...

TWT
28th Jul 2008, 21:49
Do any QF people know whether QF692 was a 738,a 734 (VH-TJU) or a 767 as has been alleged elsewhere ?

lowerlobe
28th Jul 2008, 22:06
I think it's a timely reminder that the media look at forums such as this and for all we know get most of their info from them...and possibly start these threads to get some more info for the morning editions (QUANTAS :ugh:)

On TV this morning while showing video footage of a 737 reported that it was a 767 that had problems.

It is this sort of journalistic inaccuracy that annoys most of us...and personally makes me wonder how many other stories are just as erroneous.

llondel
28th Jul 2008, 22:18
It is this sort of journalistic inaccuracy that annoys most of us...and personally makes me wonder how many other stories are just as erroneous.

Having been near the action on some news items (not aviation-related), I can assure you that the errors aren't confined to aviation. Indeed, a group of us were collecting press reports after one event and laughing at how many reporters had totally misunderstood things, focussed on irrelevant bits or had apparently just copied someone else's story and reworded it slightly. A friend who was at a ManU football game somewhere in Europe once had a totally different story on "crowd trouble" to what was reported in the press. Basically apply a pinch of salt to whatever you read and note that in some cases a much bigger pinch is required.

HotDog
28th Jul 2008, 22:25
From parts of the hull parting company with the rest of the aircraft, to laughing gas in oxygen tanks, total electrical failures and now dodgy under-carrage doors

Laughing gas in oxygen tanks.:confused: PC767, are you sure you're not a journo? I guess you meant to say Nitrogen?

lowerlobe
28th Jul 2008, 22:44
Laughing gas in oxygen tanks.
....Exactly my point HotDog....

You never know who is coming up with these posts.

Flaps_Five
28th Jul 2008, 23:07
The QF time-table indicates that 692 is a scheduled evening Adelaide to Melbourne flight as a 767-300......usual press confusion with photo of 767-300 but caption of 737-800.

lowerlobe
28th Jul 2008, 23:18
Nope...Video was of a 737 but journo was talking about it being a 767....but I guess a space shuttle is a Cessna is a 747 is a nuclear sub is a public bus....they're all the same....:oh:

I also forgot to mention people who have never posted before or suddenly turn up after a long absence when considering who might be behind posts and threads....

mole1948
28th Jul 2008, 23:19
Some years ago I remember a media report from, "our aviation correspondent" of an incident where the aircraft was having trouble with it's "tail flaps". What the bloody hell are tail flaps ? I think most media reports have to be treated with a pinch of salt.

Desert Dingo
28th Jul 2008, 23:52
I have a rule to read only as far as the first "plummet" or "I thought we were going to die". :yuk:

Pera
29th Jul 2008, 00:08
this is not news, let alone an emergency landing. :ugh::ugh:

Little_Red_Hat
29th Jul 2008, 17:37
Just wondering... we all know the press go crazy about things like this... but some of the early reports said things like "a door blew open mid-flight, causing chaos in the cabin", implying it was a cabin door/explosive decompression/yada yada yada...

Just wondering... if said paper didnt actually 'retract' that statement (i.e., saying 'it was a landing gear door, not a cabin door as previously stated') - could Qantas take legal action over it?? As in, its incorrect and damages reputation? (Not that it could really be damaged more this week it seems!)

staplefordheli
1st Aug 2008, 21:45
If you were refering to my typo on Quantas
I appologise but it was not posted for that reason, it was just for info as it came in live on Sky
I am not a journo perish the thought!
These things are often either under or over reported until the true facts get established, often on here
regards