PDA

View Full Version : N reg with CPL

Scottishflyer182
26th Jul 2008, 19:54
Hi,

I own or at least am the Trustee of a Cessna 182 N Reg based in the UK.
I plan on doing my CPL and IR FAA in January 2009.

My question is:- once I have both these ratings and the nessecary insuarance cover will I be able to charge for flying services?

SF.

IO540
26th Jul 2008, 20:10
ANO Article 140 prohibits "aerial work" in foreign reg planes, unless you have the permission of the Secy of State (actually the Dept for Transport).

So... what kinds of things will they give permission for?

Certainly the owner(s) receiving training in the plane - I've had that one a few times, enabling me to pay the instructor. (If the instructor did not charge me for the flight, no permission is required). Last time I looked at the DfT website, they gave detailed guidelines on what classes of owners they will give the permission to (e.g. max 4 owners, etc).

The rest is a grey area which they don't advertise. However loads of commercial ops very visibly take place using foreign reg planes, and whole airlines operate with foreign reg planes. This is outside my area of experience but I believe that if you have an AOC then you can do "anything" - the CAA is keen to get the AOC fee, and an AOC ensures that you are not operating with a lower cost base than a G-reg operator doing the same work. "AOC busting" is always vigorously enforced by the CAA anyway. I also vaguely recall reading some stuff on the DfT website that UK G-reg operators have the right to object to another UK operator doing the same thing with say an N-reg.

However, there is one thing you can do with a CPL/IR, with no permission being required: be a paid pilot for the plane's owner (individual or a business). No AOC is required for this, and this is the basis of corporate / executive jet ops worldwide.

julian_storey
28th Jul 2008, 19:27
The DOT will usually give permission for things falling within the definition of 'Aerial Work' in an 'N' reg aeroplane. They won't as a general rule allow public transport.

I've know people get DOT permissions for dropping skydivers and for aerial photography.