PDA

View Full Version : TGA Limits

dustypfd
26th Jul 2008, 09:22
Hi, wondered if someone could tell me what the letters TGA stand for first of all! Secondly, I understand it provides a gradient of 2.1% under certain conditions which I have a list of. What I need help with is what relevance 2.1% has. I have been told its a certification limit. Any references would be useful. Thanks.

TruBlu351
26th Jul 2008, 10:08
You may be referring to TOGA? "TakeOff and Go-Around" thrust.

Basically your maximum power available for takeoffs or "going around" (aborting a landing).

There are certain climb gradients an aircraft must achieve when taking off etc to avoid hitting terrain and obstacles. These are based on using max power.........not always, but generally speaking.

Does that answer your question?

The gradient expressed in a % can be converted to a climb angle and also a rate of climb (based on your ground speed).

ie: a 5% gradient is approximately 3 degrees. If you multiply your ground speed by the % number you get a rough required rate of climb to clear obstacles...........eg: 5 x 120kts = 600fpm (feet per minute).

The various certified minimum limits vary WRT how many engines you have 2, 3 or 4 and at what stage you are during the takeoff.

Abacus
26th Jul 2008, 12:53
TGA stands for Temperature Go Around.

If, for example, your doing a single engine approach above a certain weight and/or high OAT and/or high altitude airport, you may not have sufficient performance to carry out a go-around safely in the 'normal' go-around config. In this case there is a TGA performance chart (usually in the QRH) which will guide you to the appropriate single engine approach config and go-around flap setting in the event of a missed approach.

As an example, in the case of the A330 the normal single engine approach config is config 3 and config 2 selected for the go-around. If you are above a certain weight and/or environmental conditions then the approach would be in config 3 (as normal) but config 1+F used for any subsequent go-around.

Hope that answers your question.

dustypfd
26th Jul 2008, 15:15
Thanks very much for your replies. Any idea why 2.1% though?

Old Smokey
26th Jul 2008, 16:22
2.1% OEI Climb Gradient, 2.4% Gross and 1.6% Net for Second Segment climb, 35 foot screen heights for Takeoff.............Lines drawn in the sand:uhoh:

Comforting isn't it. 2.1% achievable during a OEI missed approach, when the PANS-OPS missed approach obstacle-clear gradient requirement is 2.5%:eek:

Best Regards,

Old Smokey

VinRouge
26th Jul 2008, 16:59
:} They are gross figures though?

Last type I flew, (we called them WAT Graphs), the figures were net not gross, which was a bit disturbing.

Are the go-around graphs always NET or are they typically Gross?