View Full Version : flying training while pregnant

flyingmogul
26th Jul 2008, 09:13
Hi,

can someone give me some guidance please. Until how many weeks pregnant will a student pilot be allowed, or is advised, to continue pilot training towards a PPL?

thanks
FM

NorthRider
27th Jul 2008, 07:16
I belive that when pregnant one must stop flying at once and can only continue after a AMS clears her to do so.

mixture
27th Jul 2008, 09:53
Under the Air Navigation Order, a female holder of a medical certificate who has reason to believe that she is pregnant must inform the CAA in writing as soon as possible. The medical certificate is deemed to have been suspended upon confirmation of pregnancy.

(Section 1 Part 4 ANO)

So basically, if you insisted, I guess you could theoretically continue doing all your dual training as long as you wanted (assuming school/instructor are OK with it) .... but you won't be able to log any solo time because you would have lost your medical, per the above.

fernytickles
27th Jul 2008, 11:52
I guess it also depends on which country. I have a friend who took her ATP checkride in the US when the bump was so large, she was wary of restricting the "full & free" check. The "bump" survived the checkride just fine and is now a teenager.

IO540
27th Jul 2008, 15:55
Surely the answer depends on whether the instructor is the father (usually he would be, of course).

flyingmogul
30th Jul 2008, 12:34
I am the father, of course, luckily it is my wife!!
FM