PDA

View Full Version : When is reverse thrust activated upon landing?

colsie
25th Jul 2008, 11:03
Hi all I have another question!

On another forum I am a member of a member of it has stated the following "I also forgot to say that you should have engaged reverse thrust before your front wheel was on the ground.". This si advice obviously upon landing.

My question is simple is that really true? Do aircraft activate the Reverse thrust before all wheels are on the ground?

My common held belief is all wheels have to be on the ground before any form of breaking is initiated.

Thanks,
Colin

I will add the forum is a simulation forum.

Piltdown Man
25th Jul 2008, 14:06
Or on a F70/F100, reverse thrust selection is blocked until both mains are on the ground. When permitted, reverse thrust is inititated by firstly selecting idle thrust (where the thrust levers should already be) and then by lifting the "reversers" on the thrust levers. This action will manually deploy the lift dumpers, if not automatically deployed, and then give you idle reverse. Pulling the "reversers" will increase the reverse thrust until you reach "emergency" reverse.

PM

md-100
25th Jul 2008, 14:23
Mostly, the reverser interlock is unlock upon main landing gear tochdown, some a/c below RA 10ft.
But becarefull with bucket reversers if you have a high pitch up nose, you can touch the ground!!

TWApilot
27th Jul 2008, 04:46
With tail-mounted engines, such as on the MD-80, I was trained to make certain the nose is being lowered before selected reverse thrust, to prevent further pitch-up and striking a reverser bucket on the runway. As long as the nose was in the process of being lowered, then you could select reverse thrust without any problem.

On wing-mounted engines with cascade reversers, I usually select reverse as soon as the main wheels are rolling on the runway.

Capt Claret
27th Jul 2008, 06:44
I fly the B717 and select reverse coincident with main gear touchdown. The reversers will not (should not) deploy until the ground sensing mechanism on the nose gear moves into ground mode, that is, the nose wheel is on the ground.

The 717 is the only jet I've operated that has reverse. I have observed the reversers of various wing mounted jet transports open prior to the nose wheel being on the ground.

Fil
27th Jul 2008, 11:00
On some large aircraft you've really got to 'fly' the nose wheel down to the runway and this takes a few seconds whereas Reverse will have been selected on main gear touchdown so you see the reversers out with the nose wheel still in the air.