PDA

View Full Version : JFK Incident July 22nd?

Emceezee
23rd Jul 2008, 23:28
I was flying out of Kennedy yesterday and there were major delays due to what the flight crew called "a disabled aircraft on the runway". I didn't get a chance to ask them the details. Anyone have any information?

Thanks
Simon

Link removed.

Duck

Avman
24th Jul 2008, 07:38
Most likely an a/c with burst tyres.

bobmij
24th Jul 2008, 17:30
I was flying out of JFK yesterday and there were major delays due to.........flying out of JFK. I didn't get a chance to find out much about them due to a rude ineffective controller who didn't know what was going on.
Does anyone have any more information?

Phil1980's
24th Jul 2008, 17:31
if you have the exact times, i can get the archive :)

sidman
24th Jul 2008, 17:46
The delays could have had something to do with the bad weather that moved through the area...

Avman
24th Jul 2008, 17:59
due to a rude ineffective controller who didn't know what was going on

Most New Yorkers sound "rude" to non New Yorkers and I agree that they could sometimes improve their PR skills. But I wouldn't call a JFK controller "ineffective". If he/she was so, he/she wouldn't last a day there. Go spend a few hours in JFK tower then you might just understand.

Emceezee
25th Jul 2008, 16:14
It was a scheduled 19.30 takeoff (EST) that ended up leaving at 22.50 EST.
And, yes I know - a three plus hour delay is a regular thing at Kennedy! LOL

25th Jul 2008, 16:41
Most New Yorkers sound "rude" to non New Yorkers and I agree that they could sometimes improve their PR skills. But I wouldn't call a JFK controller "ineffective". If he/she was so, he/she wouldn't last a day there. Go spend a few hours in JFK tower then you might just understand.

Absolutely agree. I spent 14 years in and out of JFK and LGA on a daily basis and have nothing but the utmost respect for the controllers at both airports. They make the most, and then some, out of a mess that is not in any way of their making.

Piper Worrier
25th Jul 2008, 19:57
I admit the set up at JFK is far from ideal, with some third world approach facilities, but those guys need to spend a week or 2 in Europe to see how to deal with delays.
I'd rather take up the hold at 8000' anyday than be bunted around at 2000'(expedite from 5000!) at 180kts (min clean approx 230kts) over the water for 50 miles, waiting for my turn to shoot the Canarsie.
"Add another tonne for the Canarsie, number 2!"

On departure, they could do with holding people on the gate/remote holding a la the rest of the world. The other night after some fairly benign wx had passed through we pushed back to find ourselves no 40ish for departure.
Airborne after 2hrs taxi burning more than 2T.
No wonder Bush won't sign up to Kyoto!:rolleyes:

condorbaaz
29th Jul 2008, 05:31
Amen to that .....