PDA

View Full Version : Some questions from a beginner.

rich_g85
23rd Jul 2008, 13:13
Hi all,
Before I start, I will make it very clear that I am new to flying. I have not yet had my first lesson and so am a complete beginner! So be gentle!

One of the chaps from this very forum was kind enough to take me up for a short flight out of Compton Abbas a few weeks ago. Since then, I've thought of a few questions I'd like answered...

Say I wanted to fly from Compton Abbas to Yeovil (Westlands). Do I have to file a flight plan for this? Do I have to talk to anyone to let them know what I'm doing?

Say it's a cloudless day, how high am I allowed to fly before I begin to infringe on 'someone else's' airspace?

At what point do I have to make contact with Westlands - when I leave Compton? Or when I'm a few miles away? What about the Yeovilton MATZ - am I allowed to fly within that area, or do I need permission?

I have no doubt that the answer to all of these questions will become apparent when I start my NPPL, but I'm the curious type and want to find out as much as I can before then!

Cheers
Rich

TractorBoy
23rd Jul 2008, 15:37
Welcome !! My twopenneth worth :

Say I wanted to fly from Compton Abbas to Yeovil (Westlands). Do I have to file a flight plan for this? Do I have to talk to anyone to let them know what I'm doing?

You don't have to file a flight plan, but I think Yeovil is PPR, so you'd have to phone them prior to take off and get permission to land.

Say it's a cloudless day, how high am I allowed to fly before I begin to infringe on 'someone else's' airspace?

In that area, it's all open airspace (apart from the normal Class C airspace above FL195 - but if you get to 20,000ft in a light aircraft, that'll be the least of your worries !!)

At what point do I have to make contact with Westlands - when I leave Compton? Or when I'm a few miles away? What about the Yeovilton MATZ - am I allowed to fly within that area, or do I need permission?

Looking at the map, you'll go straight through the Yeovilton AIAA (Area of Intense aerial activity), so talk to Yeovilton as soon as you can. They'll take care of you - lovely people that they are (:ok:). As for a MATZ penetration, if you need one, just ask 'em

Having said that, someone will come along in a minute and point out my mistakes !!!

Most of all, enjoy it !!! :ok:

rich_g85
23rd Jul 2008, 15:40
Thanks TractorBoy, I appreciate your help.

Of course this leads onto another question! You mention Class C airspace - do you know of any sites which explain the different classes of airspace?

1800ed
23rd Jul 2008, 15:46
I'm assuming that you want to learn to fly? If you want to find out about all the classes of air space then they are listed in the 'Air Law' book you need to read to pass the exam in that subject. The book also explains all the differences that you find in these different classes of air space.

If you are just interested, Wikipedia has the answer:

Airspace class - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airspace_class#United_Kingdom)

Ed

TractorBoy
23rd Jul 2008, 15:55
This link will download a PDF file with UK airspace and definitions. And mighty dull it is too... (although very important !!)

http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/aip/current/enr/EG_ENR_6_1_4_1_en.pdf

Rich - check your PMs.

rich_g85
23rd Jul 2008, 19:21
1800ed - Yes, I do want to learn to fly. In fact my first lesson at Compton is booked for a week on Saturday - I can't wait!! As I said at the top of the thread, I'm sure all the answers will come clear once I begin the course (and read the appropriate books!).

Put1992
23rd Jul 2008, 20:49
Amazon.co.uk: The Air Pilot's Manual Volume 2: Aviation Law and Meteorology: Trevor Thom: Books (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Air-Pilots-Manual-Aviation-Meteorology/dp/1840373059)

Ta daaa!

rich_g85
24th Jul 2008, 08:13
How does that book compare to this one?
Books | PPL Training | BTT020 | APM 2 Aviation Law & Meteorology - Vol 2 (http://www.pooleys.com/prod_detail.cfm?product_id=1009)

TractorBoy
24th Jul 2008, 09:51
The one you've found is the up-to-date version of the amazon one.

You'll either get the Trevor Thom books (the one you've found) or the AFE ones. If you're going to learn, you'd be best buying one of the many student packs available from one of the pilot internet retailers - it'll have all you need.

Wessex Boy
24th Jul 2008, 12:17
you'd be best buying one of the many student packs available from one of the pilot internet retailers - it'll have all you need.

I would hold-fire buying a pack, they contain lots of good stuff, but also some stuff you will never use, have a look at what you really need and then see if a pack gives you that for cheaper than buying the items individually.

Obviously you will need a large watch, cheesy sunglasses and some eppoulettes as well....:E

rich_g85
24th Jul 2008, 12:28
I intend to wait and speak to my instructor and see what he recommends, rather than rushing in and buying a load of equipment I won't ever use.

I've already got a watch - it's not 'huge' but it tells the time perfectly well which I imagine is all that is required.

I already have sunglasses - but they're cheap and don't fit that well so I'm looking into a pair of Oakleys. :)

jxc
24th Jul 2008, 13:32
talking of sunglasses you are opening another big can of worms. I found alot of the oakleys arms bow out so you dont get a good seal with headphones on unless like me you buy a pair of clarity aloft headsets (in-ear) then it doesn't matter what you wear

Cheers

good luck with the lessons

vincegod
24th Jul 2008, 13:39
and some eppoulettes as well....:E

I've just converted from Microlights to SEP, so I guess I sound get a pair of these now. Which ones should I go for :confused:

gasax
24th Jul 2008, 14:28
I suggest you utilise the search facility where you will discover that symbols of rank are obviously of critical importance to many PPLs....

rich_g85
24th Jul 2008, 15:48
OK, before this descends into an argument about epaulettes - which I didn't ask about, and are of no relevance to me whatsoever doing my NPPL. I'll just say thanks to all those who have provided useful information.

I really can't wait to get started now! :ok: