PDA

View Full Version : PPL Skills Test Age Query

BerksFlyer
21st Jul 2008, 09:58
I'm 16 and currently doing my PPL, and I should finish the training before my 17th birthday. Looking at LASORS it says the skills test has a validity of 12 months. Does that mean I can do the skills test as soon as I finish the training then wait until my birthday, or is the minimum age for the skills test the same as issue for the PPL?

Thanks for any help.

DX Wombat
21st Jul 2008, 11:34
I'm pretty sure you can do it before your 17th birthday but can't have your licence issued until the actual day.

BerksFlyer
21st Jul 2008, 15:43
Cheers DX.

Having successfully completed the skills test, aged 16, could I then continue to exercise the privilege of having passed it by flying solo to keep my hand in? Or will I have to wait until I get my licence through on my birthday?

Apologies, I can't find any of my particular questions answered in LASORS.

Nashers
21st Jul 2008, 15:56
yes you can still fly after you pass if you dont have your licence issued, but it will have to be on an instructors licence therefore they have to sign you out on the tech log. you may also have to pay the solo rate insted of the ppl hire rate of your school.

foxmoth
21st Jul 2008, 17:36
you may also have to pay the solo rate insted of the ppl hire rate of your school.

I think you meant that the other way round? It will depend on the school though.

Gertrude the Wombat
21st Jul 2008, 22:09
Having successfully completed the skills test, aged 16, could I then continue to exercise the privilege of having passed it

No.

by flying solo to keep my hand in?

You can fly solo, but not because you have passed anything. You fly solo just as you did when having a solo lesson, with the appropriate instructor sign-off, following the club rules (whatever they might be) for students flying solo, probably paying the club rates for a solo lesson not the rates for PPL hire, and, and this is the important legal point, no passengers. (Just as you can't take passengers on a solo flying lesson.)

BerksFlyer
21st Jul 2008, 22:17
Ok, thanks for clearing that up Gertrude, much appreciated.

My only concern was that I wouldn't be able to carry on flying after my skills test until my 17th birthday. I'm not bothered about taking passengers, I just want to be able to keep my hand in somewhat.

Thanks everyone.