PDA

View Full Version : Airport fees in EU and around the world

RMarvin86
20th Jul 2008, 22:49
Hi there,

I was just wondering what you guys are paying for airport fees such as landing, handling, ATC fees etc.. when flying VFR in a small GA airplane like a cessna or piper.
I'm from italy and soon I'll have to consider about making time building and I'm curious to know what the costs are in europe and other countries around the world.
In Italy it seems to be quiet expensive as almost every airport is asking for money and on average we spend between 10-20 euro for every passenger on board + other 10-20 euro for airport handling. I.e. a VFR departure from my airport to another destination with a PA28 1 pilot + 3 pax is costing 66 euro (total fees to pay) and I think it's just crazy.
I read somewhere that in USA fees are charged only in major airports.
Are there airports where you pay for touch and go?
What about other countries?

dwj
21st Jul 2008, 00:43
Here in Canada there are generally no fees at the smaller airfields - it is only at the major airports that you will pay landing fees. I think the USA is the same.

BroomstickPilot
21st Jul 2008, 05:43
Hi RMarvin86,

Do the charges you quote for Italy refer to international airports, to private club aerodromes, or both?

Broomstick.

172driver
21st Jul 2008, 06:50
In my experience they vary a lot. Cheapest is the US with zero landing fees, AFAIK this applies to all airports, no matter the size (been a while since I flew into a major airport there, but don't think it changed).

In Europe, the difference between small fields and big airports ranges from non-existent (Spain - they all are about EUR 11 or so), to vast (Austria, where you can easily drop EUR 60 at the majors, as they charge an 'approach fee' even if landing VFR).

For hour building, there's really only one country - the US. No landing fees and a/c rental at about half the price of Europe. :ok:

IO540
21st Jul 2008, 07:58
Anything from a few Euros in France to Euro 250 at the bigger airports. The most I have paid was E 250 at Tirana (LATI) and E 100-200 is pretty common e.g. Prague.

The most you can pay is about E 800 at say Gatwick EGKK.

I think the average for the UK "GA-only" airfields is about E 15 (£10).

E80 (e.g, Norwich EGSH or Bournemouth EGHH) is unfortunately becoming more common, and while this is fine for the occassional flight it would be very expensive if one was doing it regularly.

the bald eagle
21st Jul 2008, 08:13
Malta LMML seems favorite,just received an email back from their DGCA for a PA28 as follows

Landing 4 Euro's!!
Parking free for the 1st 6 hrs and then 0.77E per 24hrs or part thereof
No nav fees and no landing permit required only thing they want is a transponder with mode C fitted!

Anyone know of an international airport cheaper than that! :ok:

TBE

Ultranomad
21st Jul 2008, 08:28
In Czech Republic, most small airfields are cheap (an equivalent of 2-5 euros), and many of them are international. On the other hand, if you land in LKPR, prepare to pay some 80 euros.
By the way, many European airports charge the landing fee per ton, rounding the MTOW *up* to the next whole ton. So, a PA28 or a C172 would be twice as expensive as a PA38 or a C150.

Mark 1
21st Jul 2008, 09:52
If you're flying day/VFR about Europe, its generally a good idea to avoid large airports, especially those running close to their capacity. They see no value to themselves in GA traffic and will price it out if possible.
Under Schengen agreement, international travel using small fields is generally much easier; no battling with airport security and much lower costs.

That said, I would expect to pay 20-30 Euros to land at a well equipped field with lights, instrument approaches, customs etc., and more like 10-15 euros at smaller fields with fuel, planning and food available, for most of northern Europe.

Outside parking is usually a similar order to the landing fee per 24 hrs with the first 3-6 hours free.

Italy probably has about the most expensive Avgas in Europe; Denmark and the Channel Islands about the cheapest.

RMarvin86
21st Jul 2008, 14:26
In Italy they're charging for both major and smaller airports even though fees may vary a lot depending on the airport. It's always a big surprise, often small airports being quiet expencive, I know... it's a business for them. There is still a number of airports not asking for money or being really honest, but the number is diminishing with time. The big deal is that training flights often do not pay or get a really good reduction. You may think you get a valuable service 'cause you payed, but this is often not the case, and fuel in many airports is available only for local aircrafts and that makes it difficult flying long trips. Is it true that, I guess in Uk, you're paying the number of touch and go you fly at some airports?

Kyprianos Biris
22nd Jul 2008, 12:00
Greece:

1.63 Euro - Airport use (landing, parking) fee per day. It is valid for all airports in same day.

12 Euro per non crew on board, per departure (Passenger tax)

At medium regional airports from 40 to 60 Euro's handling charge
At large airports 80~150 Euros
No handling at small GA airports

More details at para. #23 of
AOPA Hellas INFOS (http://www.aopa.gr/en/infosdetails.asp?NEWS_ID=1)