PDA

View Full Version : A320 Emergency Electrical Config on Takeoff

LA931
20th Jul 2008, 21:31
I just read an old post about having a dual generator loss before V1. The typical answer was STOP!
Well. Earlier today, after 4 hours of RTOs and failures above V1, we were headed down the runway , between 100 and V1, when we got a Master Warning, all my screens went dark ( I was sitting on the right side) and the PF immediately went IDLE, Reverse, and applied brakes. The tires blew out, no more braking. We were rolling at 105 knots when we left the runway. The runway was 3800 meters long and dry. I'm glad it was a sim.

We always state that we are going to abort for any master warning before V1 (the ones that are not inhibited). But in this case it wasn't the smartest thing to do. Of course we knew about the 1000 psi limit when no antiskid, but everything happened too fast to think about it.
I find strange that there is no special procedure as to what to do in this case, as I find that the calculated V1 is extremely fast to abort with this type of failure. After this experience I wouldn't abort the T/O with EEC above 100 unless engine trouble.

Your opinions on this subject are appreciated.

IFLY_INDIGO
20th Jul 2008, 23:59
It seems to be an extremely remote possibility that on line you would ever lose both generators at the same time on takeoff roll. What you could lose is , both engines on takeoff roll, that would also mean losing both gens..
Before V1, every master warning activation calls for a rejection. It requires a bit display of automatic behaviour from the pilot.
listening CRC while hand on thrust lever = REJECT.
to stop the airplane, use full reversers, full brakes. In new A320s you do not have to worry about 1000psi limit, system takes care of it. so just stand on the brakes..

cheers

LA931
21st Jul 2008, 03:38
You're very right it is an extremely rare possibility, it was just a training scenario. But now you made me think about it, and this is a level D sim emulating an airplane with an MSN in the 3200s, so it is new, and according to the FCOM the pressure is automatically limited to 1000 psi. So I don't understand why we destroyed the tires when braking. Good question for the instructor on my next lesson.

global707
21st Jul 2008, 04:49
Would leaving the APU on for T/O help? :8

electricdeathjet
21st Jul 2008, 06:34
Yeah it helps with the double engine failure after v1:confused:

Anp
21st Jul 2008, 12:51
When learning the Bus, I remember the French TRE discussing this very situation and that too at night. With an Emer Elec Config, though you will have the 1000 psi even if you stood on the brakes, there would be no reversers, practically no spoilers and at night, limited visual references to appreciate the slowing down of the aircraft. Therefore, he advocated that in this situation, beyond 100 kts, we should be GO minded. The Capt would get PFD and ND almost instantly and once the RAT deployed, the other important tubes would also be available. Other than the long ECAM procedure, the emergency is fairly managable thereafter. Get into a hold, complete the ECAM and land. On the other hand, imagine rejecting at 130 kts without antiskid, only 2 spoilers per wing and no reversers (I know these are not considered for a dry R/W but would be so heplful in an emergency). And at night remember there will no external lights. I agreed that it should be GO beyond 100 kts.