PDA

View Full Version : Amber crosses on EGT indicator

che ci dō che ci dō!
19th Jul 2008, 20:41
Hi everybody,

let's say you're flying a jet with FADEC engines (A320 or 737NG) and during the flight you lose the EGT indication on one engine (amber crosses). Of course MEL says it's a no go item but what if it appens in flight? some collegues of mine reckon it would justify a diversion. Normal cruise EGT is about 250° below MCT limit, so the only things which could rise the temperature that much is a fire or an engine stall, things that would be detected by other aircraft systems/indications. I wouldn't divert if the other parameters are normal and if I've suitable airports along the routing but this is only my personal point of view.
What would you do?

hetfield
19th Jul 2008, 20:43
All other parameters normal?

Continue to destination.

Henry VIII
19th Jul 2008, 21:13
All other parameters normal?No codified action ? neither from ECAM/EICAS nor in QRH ?Continue to destination.

Flight Detent
20th Jul 2008, 01:37
I totally agree as above.

But for the remainder of the flight, the EGT indications and Fuel Flow indications are related.
A rise in EGT will require a rise in fuel flow, generally speaking.

So, with similar/same settings on both N1s, there will/should be similar indications of fuel flow, if thats OK, all is fine.

We all know that these things are never absolutely comparable, with different stages of each engine in it's lifecycle, but it will be a good indication!

I've assumed here that the rule of "both in alt" or "both in normal" is being applied to the engine EEC switching.

That's what I would do...

Cheers...FD...;)