PDA

View Full Version : Airborne Flight Plan??

Vone Rotate
19th Jul 2008, 20:39
Hi people....

Does anyone know if its perfectly ok to file an airborne flight plan with London Info?

The airfield I fly from (Duxford) tower opens at 10am but I'd like to get going earlier than this.

Or if its not appropriate to do this does anyone know who I could fax my flight plan to? Think its Heathrow ATC?

Sorry I seem not very clued up but I'm a fairly low hour PPL who has only been across the drink once with my trusted instructor sat next to me!!
:rolleyes:
Thanks in advance for your help:ok:

Blink182
19th Jul 2008, 21:05
You can file whilst airborne........however this might politely declined due to the time taken up with the transmission........... effectively blocking the frequency for a matter of minutes.

Better still, just fill out the form and fax it off to......020 8750 2617 or 2618

Job Done !:D

dublinpilot
19th Jul 2008, 21:10
You can also file it the day before by adding to the remarks field

DOF/YYMMDD

DOF=Date of Flight (Year Month Day)

Such DOF flight plans do seem more likely to go missing than ones filed the same day though.

dp

IO540
19th Jul 2008, 21:10
The answer is

http://www.homebriefing.com

or, more recently

http://www.flightplanningonline.co.uk

The first you pay for and quite easy to use, and the second is free but rather more complicated to work out and there is a lot more security around it so the application process takes a long time.

These give you web based flight plan filing. Then, you get airborne from your "farm strip" or whatever, and call up London Info to activate the flight plan.

Vone Rotate
19th Jul 2008, 21:27
Blink182,

If I fax the flight plan to the numbers you gave, do I still need to activate it with London Info or is it all taken care of and unless I cancle its activated at my off blocks time?

By the way are those the numbers for Heathrow centre??

Thanks for you help people....

Blink182
19th Jul 2008, 22:11
Yes you need to activate it.........just call London Info , give details of flight and ask to activate flight plan..... give them your airborne time and it is done !

Used to be Heathrow, now it could be elsewhere ( Swannick ?) Somebody here on the forums with more knowledge than me will be able to confirm.

Their phone number is 020 8750 2615 or 2616 ...it has been suggested to phone them after faxing the form off to confirm receipt......it 's better than getting airborne then asking London to activate flight plan and then finding out they have not got it :*