PDA

View Full Version : A320/330 flap stuck

michelda
19th Jul 2008, 14:09
In my last sim section, I had Cat III wx at dest and cat I on the altn.
During flap selection btw 3 and full, I had flap fault. I made an autoland at dest, but the instructor told me that I would have proceed to altn, disconect the ap at 500 ft agl due to flap as jammed procedure and land. What do you think?

NVpilot
19th Jul 2008, 14:25
I'm with you, already established on the approach, why put yourself through the trouble dragging flaps to another airport, sounds like you did the right thing to me.

amarbhatia
19th Jul 2008, 14:25
Depends how far is your alternate and if destination is catIII i cannot expect cat I nearby, there after it depends on how much fuel you have on board as the fuel consumption will increase drastically. i will not take a chance.:ok:

michelda
19th Jul 2008, 15:30
Yes, i know, but according to qrh you have to disconect the a/p if you have slat/flap jam

hetfield
19th Jul 2008, 20:39
Beside the range problem proceeding to ALTN with Flaps extended, are 320/330 certified for AUTOLAND with FLAPS less than FULL?

Henry VIII
19th Jul 2008, 21:02
are 320/330 certified for AUTOLAND with FLAPS less than FULL? FCOM 3.01.22 pag. 4
AUTOMATIC LANDING
CAT II and CAT III autoland is approved in CONF3 and CONF FULL.

The note in the flaps jammed procedure in QRH says "AP may be used down to 500 feet AGL" due to "behaviour less than optimum".

In the SIM act as a chemist, real life go and land ;)

bobrun
20th Jul 2008, 02:44
Same question, but what if the SLATS were jammed between 0 and 1, or the flaps between 2 and 3? Now what? Become an autoland test pilot or divert?

Man Flex 37.5
20th Jul 2008, 07:08
Don't forget that many airbus procedures are a 1 fits all procedure, 2.04 (flaps / slats jammed procedure) covers all flap settings, if you were in flap 3 then going to full when they jammed, you could do an autoland. However, if you were in a config less than 3 then you would be going against the limitations.

In the above scenario you would have to amend the Vapp by pressing the flap 3 option and also on the overhead panel. Other than that what has changed?

In real life other external factors have to be taken account of i.e. your fuel situation especially considering the extra drag with flaps or slats jammed.

MF

westinghouse
20th Jul 2008, 09:03
you instructor has a point.
you cant do autoland cause the ap has to be diengaged by 500ft.
however if you do divert to you alternate you will be restricted to FL200 plus the additional burn off. depeneding on how much fuel you have you might not be able to make it to the alternate. you will have to make a decision based on the fuel.
this scenario happend in acutal life with an indian airlines A300, i think. they ended up crash landing cause they didnt have enough of fuel to make it to the alternate. im sure someone else could shed some light on this particular incident.

cheers.

Man Flex 37.5
20th Jul 2008, 09:57
westinghouse

If the flaps were stuck at or after flaps 3 position, how is that different to doing a flap 3 autoland? The answer=NO DIFFERENCE, the aircraft will do a normal autoland and handle normally.

MF

westinghouse
20th Jul 2008, 16:19
man flex....

your correct.
fcom4 states that if the flaps are less than 3 revert to cat 1 minima and disengage by 500ft.
so flap 3 and above the autoland is possible. you will just have to monitor.

Man Flex 37.5
20th Jul 2008, 16:45
Thanks westinghouse.

MF