PDA

View Full Version : Super Cub vs J-3/L-4...

betterfromabove
17th Jul 2008, 20:30
Hi

Have about a dozen hours on the J-3 Cub & am looking to convert onto the Super Cub....

Apart from the obvious power / seating differences are there any other things it would be useful to know?

From what I hear, the "do everything at 60mph rule" some people advocate on the J-3 certainly doesn't hold....

Many thanks!
BFA

Contacttower
17th Jul 2008, 20:51
From what I hear, the "do everything at 60mph rule" some people advocate on the J-3 certainly doesn't hold....

You could do the approach and climb at 60mph in the Super Cub....but it will fly along level much faster....

betterfromabove
17th Jul 2008, 21:10
Do people normally fly downwind a little faster then too on the Pa18??

Was also wondering about the tetchiness in a x-wind....is it any better/worse having the extra power/different W&B?!?

BFA

IFMU
18th Jul 2008, 01:20
What is tetchiness?

A super cub is every bit as capable in crosswinds as any of the other cub series airplanes in my opinion. The only place where it falls short is with a crosswind from the left with full flaps. The flap lever blocks you leg which then blocks the stick so you can't get in as much cross control. So for a strong left crosswind I don't use flaps, but it still lands as well as a J3/PA12/what have you.

Landing in a super cub, strong left xwind notwithstanding, I'll fly the downwind a lot faster, like 90 or so. Most of my super cub flying is glider towing, in that mission there is a rush to get back. The flaps are useful as trim, that is if you are trimmed out to fly fast and transition to full flaps, you will find the airplane trimmed to fly slow without spinning the trim crank at all.

You will like the super cub. It's a great airplane.

-- IFMU

Chuck Ellsworth
18th Jul 2008, 02:42
One needs to either have lots of money or really want to fly a Super cub when you figure the cost of fuel compared to a Cub.

Basically you can have as much fun in a cub.

Fitter2
18th Jul 2008, 12:14
Easier to land in a crosswind than a J3/L4, and the 'flaps up' as soon as it is sitting on the wheels keeps it there.

Better view solo from the front, of course (I think implied in the original post).

Grayfly
18th Jul 2008, 12:42
Have a look at the Cubdrivers in Alaska DVD, says it all!

Kingy
19th Jul 2008, 14:51
Hi there,

They are not as nice to fly in my opinion, the controls (particularly the rudder) seem less sensitive and somehow you feel less part of the aircraft. After all, it's basically the same wing but carrying much more weight...

Also, they cost twice as much to buy and they use twice as much fuel - it's a lot for an extra 20kts (at most!) cruise.

Cheers

Kingy

betterfromabove
19th Jul 2008, 17:54
Hi guys - thanks for all the info.

Yes, agree, does seem a lot more expense (partic'ly at SE of England prices!) for speed you're not really looking for, if you see what I'm getting at!??!

Unfortunately, can't seem to find any J-3's available for hire in this part of the world. Am based in Reading / Newbury area. Are there any groups operating nearby??

Cheers
BFA