PDA

View Full Version : News for Navigators -Filton Block RIP

Four Types
17th Jul 2008, 18:09
I passed through Doncaster International (AKA RAF Finningley) today and noticed that Filton Block was gone, demolished, wiped off the map (Doh!).

There were a few memories of that place....funny ones mostly. 'Bollo' falling out of the third floor window.....2 Nav studes waking up in bed together after a dining in night to find the Batty had left 2 teas on the side....etc etc

I wonder how many square footage of maps, charts and nav logs went through those portals?

Any one else have stories to tell of such a 'Historic Site'?

Four Types:)

johnfairr
17th Jul 2008, 18:23
Forgive me, for I am but old and lacking in memory function. Is/Was the Filton Block the new (OK, it's not new now) one built in 1973, just next to the OM and on the other side, the Briefing Rooms etc? I was not pleased to be moved there from the OM as I had a corner room and was not sharing as my roomie had moved on!!

Out of interest, I'm sure I was on #169 Course, which ran from September 72 to July/August 73. But then again, I might have been somewhere else entirely! :{

jf

BEagle
18th Jul 2008, 05:38
johnfairr, yes, that was indeed the kindergarten block.

Fortunately it mean that the baby navigators were rarely in the 'real' part of the OM, just refresher and ME students and the odd grumpy blunty.

Pontius Navigator
18th Jul 2008, 06:45
And OC ANS threw a wobbly when he did an inspection and found inflatable bananas, budgerigars and other signs of domesticity.

When the lumpy jumpers arrived he tried to form a wafferi in Filton which required much room moving etc. The girlies refused and insisted on being roomed near others on their course.

Maxibon
18th Jul 2008, 07:32
Despite the night of the balaclava

OmegaV6
18th Jul 2008, 08:38
I remember doing a "Fire Inspection" of Filton block and there was a strong and noticeable smell in the corridors .......

A young "gentleman" (?) who had an clapped out motor with a leaking fuel tank had decided he couldn't afford to lose the petrol he had just put in ..... so he used 3 firebuckets to store the stuff !!! :ugh::ugh::ugh:

He gave several senior folks a serious listening to, and was VERY lucky to actually be allowed to continue the course.

:uhoh::uhoh::uhoh:

RubiC Cube
18th Jul 2008, 08:46
"Out of interest, I'm sure I was on #169 Course, which ran from September 72 to July/August 73"

Sorry, 167 cse graduated in Aug 73.

stiknruda
18th Jul 2008, 08:55
I recall circa 291 course, an absolute chisseler hit the fire alarm, just after dawn the morning after quite a fun party. APO Poison P - IIRC.

There appeared to be as many nurses as baby navs exitting the block!

Hubstrasse
18th Jul 2008, 23:39
Ahhhh....... the night of the black balaclava! my, how I enjoyed enless hours talking to plod (zealot)naah-never) about the white powder found under my sink... after much convincing and a taste test he finally agreed that it probably was Persil in a poly bag cos' the box had split.

johnfairr
19th Jul 2008, 11:02
RubiC, then it must have been September, because I seem to recall there was a joint 168/169 Graduation, with a couple of Navy types, Ken McKenzie and Keith Tatman as well as a pilot who had been re-branched following an accident, Phil Leckenby (?). All a bit of a haze, I seem to remember. :confused::confused:

jf

Dunhovrin
19th Jul 2008, 12:24
This one actually made the Readers Digest many years ago:

One Sunday the CO was passing Filton Block and noticed a young lady leaving the premises. At Monday morning prayers he asked that whoever had had an unauthorised female in their room that weekend write a letter of apology to the PMC. He received several dozen.

threeputt
19th Jul 2008, 20:22
Spoke with Phil Leckenby at the Waddo airshow, during the 44(R) Sqn association reunion. Fit as a butchers dog.

3P:ok: