PDA

View Full Version : flights to Cuba from USA???

acuba 290
16th Jul 2008, 21:58
folks, can anybody explain how it works and what need to be done to fly with N-registered private (not rented) aircraft from Florida to Cuba, Havana. What kind of permissions and how to get them? Maybe there is some web resources availible for this information?

Is there are difference in rules for US or non-US citizens?

foxmoth
16th Jul 2008, 22:25
My understanding is that you can't do this, at least not direct - but I would not be 100% on it.

mm_flynn
17th Jul 2008, 09:57
Yes the rules are different for US citizens/US residents vs non-resident/non US-Citizens. The former must be licenced by Treasury Department. On assumes there are restrictions on the use of American Assets (i.e. an N-Reg aircraft, which after all is owned by an American Citizen).

I think a direct flight from Florida is totally out of the question. A Brit flying a rented Mexican aircraft would have less of an issue - but even then, Cuba is likely to have extensive restrictions on the use of private aircraft. If you can read Spanish, you can probably find some more infromation at the Cuban AIS (http://www.iacc.gov.cu/).

EchoMike
17th Jul 2008, 18:17
Well, physically, flying from Florida to Cuba isn't a big deal, it is only 90 miles south of Key West.

The Cuban Air Force isn't likely to look kindly on an N registered light aircraft entering their airspace. A few years ago they shot down two Cessna 337s operated by a Miami based operation ("Brothers to the Rescue") who were patrolling the straits looking for people on rafts, etc., trying to get to Florida - they got a little too close.

While a UK based pilot probably won't have an absurdly impossible time with Cuban ATC, and charts are available, it would be better to be fluent in Spanish.

The problem will be the big "N" on the side of the airplane - chances are it will promptly be seized, and you may never get it back. Remember, governments do whatever they want, and if some government decides to hang onto an airplane because they don't like the nationality of the owner, there's not a whole lot we can do about it. Don't take the chance - you're gambling the airplane that the locals are in a good mood today.

Then a further problem arises when (if) you take the airplane BACK to the US - Customs and Border Protection is going to take a REAL close look at anything and anyone arriving from Cuba - and CBP is NEVER in a good mood.

Commercial is different - N registered jetliners regularly transit Cuban airspace and talk with Havana ATC, which I understand is pretty good. Cuban aircraft occasionally land in the US for some emergency or other, usually on the way to Canada, and everyone gets treated quite professionally. The problem arises with little airplanes and tourists - until Uncle Sam and the heirs of Fidel kiss and make up, don't even think about trying this, you are guaranteed to get into serious trouble of all kinds.

I will tell you what, though, as soon as it becomes legal and possible for N registered aircraft and US citizens to visit Cuba, I'm going - I'd love to see the place, and my wife speaks perfect Spanish.

Best Regards,

Echo Mike
(No hablo Espanol, soy gringo, pero mi esposa habla Espanol perfectamete.)

Oldpilot55
17th Jul 2008, 19:05
American registerd aircraft regularly land at Guatanamo Bay...a little anomaly that the Cubans have never been able to resolve.