PDA

View Full Version : A very pleasant experience

Flapping_Madly
16th Jul 2008, 20:10
Just flown out of Nottingham or is it East Midlands. First time ever after many flights inbound.

What a pleasure it all was. Everyone was polite and smiling. Even staff on the snack bars. (Can't they mend that slamming door by the Coffee bar)

All the security staff were polite and cheerful and even made taking my wife's cabin bag to bits was done with banter and laughter including some dubious cracks about marmite and dirty washing.

I'm not a racist but I noticed that everyone we dealt with was male middle aged and white. There seemed to be very few women on the brigade.

These people do probably have a difficult job but this shows they do not have to be surly provocative and touchy.

Well done to all the guys and gals.

Final 3 Greens
16th Jul 2008, 21:26
All the security staff were polite and cheerful

I am pleased that you had a good experience, however it is a not uncommon experience in many airports around Europe, e.g. I had great fun last week explaining to a French security lady in Paris that the orientation of two raised fingers is very important to "les anglo saxons" and her colleagues came to join in and have a laugh too, being amazed about the story of the 100 years war and cutting off the fingers of archers.

The peeps at Nice are usually very polite and courteous and the FRA crew always get you through with the minimum of fuss, even if German culture does tend to be less "smiley", they are polite and professional.

People in the UK are conditioned to tolerate sub standard services.

WRT to it being a difficult job, I would rate it on a par with most customer facing jobs, where the customer is present, e.g. operating the returns desk at a store.

Rwy in Sight
17th Jul 2008, 04:43
I have only good words for the security search and the general function of T2 LHR yesterday (16/7/2008) in the early afternoon.

Smooth check in, a well organized search, space to prepare your stuff, free bags for liquids without any stupid reference to the airport (although a T2 bag would be nice..) extremely friendly crew (with a good looking female agent) at the scanning machine particularly the one at far right, effective handling of waiting lines... If there were a message clearly stating shoes had to be removed it would be perfect.

I am getting my tin hat but I need to say Congratulation CAA you were a bright example yesterday (and restore my faith to the airport operators).

Rwy in Sight

Final 3 Greens
17th Jul 2008, 06:15
If there were a message clearly stating shoes had to be removed it would be perfect.

Why is it necessary to remove shoes?

It is not in the other airports in Europe.

cavortingcheetah
17th Jul 2008, 06:58
:hmm:

Here's the short answer to your first question.

Richard Reid (terrorist - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Reid_(terrorist))

As to the second and presumed question, there might be no short answer unless it be that the UK is adhering to US/FAA/DHS regulations whereas the rest of Europe is not? I wonder whether passengers on US bound flights from other European countries are required to do the soft shoe shuffle? Perhaps security in the UK is unable to distinguish from those people flying to the USA and those flying anywhere else? It is after all a well documented syndrome, in certain parts of the world, the reduction of everything to the lowest common denominator and then the claiming that such is for the benefit of the populace as a whole.:ugh:

GANNET FAN
17th Jul 2008, 07:47
Final 3, been to Nice recently?

SXB
17th Jul 2008, 07:55
In some ways the original post is indicative of the poor levels of customer service experienced, and tolerated, in the UK. The fact that a customer feels the need to comment on a positive experience says it all.

As F3G says, pleasant and efficient security staff is the norm in continental Europe, I don't remember the last time I had a negative experience outside the UK.

As for the shoes, I haven't been asked to remove such items since passing through the UK on one occasion last year. I also passed through London Luton last week and was not asked to remove my shoes. Maybe it is a US requirement as CC suggests. That said they certainly are not making all US bound passengers at CDG remove their shoes.

radeng
17th Jul 2008, 07:59
I haven't been to Nice this month, but we weren't removing shoes last month.

I did wander up to security there on one occasion last month, thinking of other things and whistling in my tuneless way the Grand March from Aida. I suddenly realised that the three people on security had joined in!

I do wonder if any of the LHR security have ever heard of Aida, let alone know the tune....

Oneil
17th Jul 2008, 08:00
I've been asked to remove my shoes on NCL-DUB so it may not just be a US thing.

Brian H
17th Jul 2008, 10:06
I have been asked to remove my shoes recently at Stansted and also Munich. At Newcastle you are always asked to remove your belt, but I have not been asked anywhre else.

forget
17th Jul 2008, 10:15
I do wonder if any of the LHR security have ever heard of Aida, let alone know the tune....

We've got one in Peterborough. Half the price of Tescos.

angels
17th Jul 2008, 10:20
Just a lidl joke there Mr forget!

PAXboy
17th Jul 2008, 10:24
In this forum, it has oft been stated that - at UK airports - one third of pax must remove shoes. This might be one whole queue removes shoes or all queues have every third pax remove shoes or any other variant the bored staff can think up. So it is not surprising that you may, or may not, have had to remove your shoes.

Final 3 Greens
17th Jul 2008, 10:25
As for the shoes, I haven't been asked to remove such items since passing through the UK on one occasion last year.

Try LHR T4 fastrack - 100% requirement every time I have passed through for ever (it feels like)

The UK inconsistency is very strange.

Flying_Frisbee
17th Jul 2008, 11:04
Had to at Prestwick. No-one round about me had to. I had the distinct impression that as soon as the security man spotted I was wearing Doc Marten shoes he made a bee line for me, presumably because of the soles.

pwalhx
17th Jul 2008, 11:18
The 20 odd times I have flown through UK airports in the last 6 months I haven't once had to remove my shoes (MAN/LBA/LHR/LTN). In the fact the only time I have been asked to do so in this time is at CDG.

SXB it is unusual for someone to post a good experience yes, that isn't however an indication that good customer service is unusual in the U.K. merely an indicator we are all to happy to complain but non to eager to praise.

I have had very little to complain about the customer service in UK airports, if you have a cheery attitude with the staff they will generally respond accordingly.

The people who complain about surly and unhelpful staff are quite often (but not always) surly and uncooperative themselves.

These people are often working under a great deal of duress so a little congratulation from time to time is deserved.

Final 3 Greens
17th Jul 2008, 13:03
These people are often working under a great deal of duress so a little congratulation from time to time is deserved.

Duress?

Our definitions of the word must differ.

I work in a customer facing job where I have to deal with people who are often difficult in their behaviours.

But that is the nature of customer facing work - no one makes you do it.

And I do not expect congratulations either, my clients should expect to receive a professional and consistent service in return for their fees.

I really believe that the UK public accepts behaviours that would not be tolerated in other countries.

Globaliser
17th Jul 2008, 14:41
I have had very little to complain about the customer service in UK airports, if you have a cheery attitude with the staff they will generally respond accordingly.I agree with this. Even at LHR, I can't remember the last time that I didn't manage to have a quiet laugh about something with whichever security staff member had to either frisk me or search my bag.

Union Jack
17th Jul 2008, 14:49
" .....including some dubious cracks about marmite and dirty washing"

Flaps - Your wife was lucky - at Bristol they would have confiscated the Marmite without any hesitation!

Jack

pwalhx
17th Jul 2008, 15:15
Duress?

Our definitions of the word must differ.

I work in a customer facing job where I have to deal with people who are often difficult in their behaviours.

But that is the nature of customer facing work - no one makes you do it.

And I do not expect congratulations either, my clients should expect to receive a professional and consistent service in return for their fees.

I really believe that the UK public accepts behaviours that would not be tolerated in other countries

You miss my point completely then, I also work in a customer facing environment as you call it and with very difficult customers. I wasn't suggesting they have praise heaped upon them. Merely commenting on the opening post.

What I said is if you have a positive attitude you will often get it in return.

As for the much vaunted customer service in other countries, to be frank as someone who travels a lot it isnt that much better in the rest of Europe for example.

hval
17th Jul 2008, 21:52
"As for the much vaunted customer service in other countries, to be frank as someone who travels a lot it isnt that much better in the rest of Europe for example"

I would have to totally disagree with you there. The UK has the worst customer service of any country in the world. It reminds me of what it was like in East Germany back in the good old bad old days. I have had better customer service in every country I have lived, holidayed, travelled through or worked in than the UK.

Final 3 Greens
18th Jul 2008, 05:52
pwalhx

If I miss your point, it is because you apparently misuse the word "duress", which means "threats, violence, etc. used to coerce a person into doing something."

AFAIK, no one uses threats or violence to make these people work in airport security.

They are open to getting criticism from passengers who are not aware of the rules or for some other reason, such as the quite rude behaviour (from some security people) that I have noted from time to time.

But that is part and parcel of the customer facing role in my opinion - if you don't like the heat, get out of the kitchen.

As regards the UK competence in customer service, I believe it is generally sub optimal.

pwalhx
18th Jul 2008, 08:36
I can see this going around in circles so I will end my contribution to this thread with:

hval - Yes we must agree to disagree on that point.

Final3Greens - I did not misuse the term, I am fully aware of the meaning of the word duress. I have friends who work in airports in most areas and they have been threatened both physically and verbally.I have also witnessed at airports at check in desks for example where this has happened. But again as above I will agree to disagree with you.

radeng
18th Jul 2008, 09:44
One point about removing shoes that is a bit worrying is the question as to how often they clean and disinfect the floor. I bet the answer is rarely.

So there are distinct chances of picking up some infection, and in the case of a diabetic or someone else with poor circulation, that could end up with an amputation. Trouble is, it would be hard to prove that was the source of the infection.

Removing belts is something I have problem with. When asked, I warn them that it is their responsibility if my trousers come down, and that is not a pretty sight!. They usually see sense, especially as the buckle is so small it doesn't generally set off the sensors even at a US airport. What would happen if a kilt wearing Scot had the kilt come off.........Didn't I read on here that the other year, some good looking Russian woman at one of the middle eastern airports had to remove her belt, and ended up with trousers round her ankles (and, I think it was said, no underwear)?

Jess1968
19th Jul 2008, 21:29
*sighs*

I clicked on this topic as I thought it was highly unusual for some one to be praising...and I believe that we do far too little of that!!

But I was sadly disappointed as yet again another thread decends into a security bashing uk is terrible theme!

I have travelled extensively throughout the UK/Europe/USA and to be honest the US security is a far worse experience than any I have experienced in the UK...all shoes off, glares from the TSA personnel etc etc all very unpleasant!

I work in a very customer orientated career, and have been spat on/threatened/shouted at etc and to be honest I often wonder about the mentality of people who think that just because you choose to work with people you should accept that kind of behaviour!!

I always treat people as I would want to be treated and therefore (in an airport) usually find it a very pleasant experience.

Zurich airport gets my vote as one of the best for this...nothing was too hassled and every step of the way I was greeted with a smile :)

Self Loading Freight
19th Jul 2008, 21:44
Was going through Zurich last month - not being a footy fan, I found the experience a bit depressing. And the first time I've had that strange business of the sealed bags for carrying duty-free booze through security. What's the point of that?

Final 3 Greens
19th Jul 2008, 22:30
I work in a very customer orientated career, and have been spat on/threatened/shouted at etc and to be honest I often wonder about the mentality of people who think that just because you choose to work with people you should accept that kind of behaviour!!

No one should accept that kind of behaviour and the police should deal with it.

But when you politely say good morning to a security guard, as I did today at T2 and he completely blanks you because he is talking to his mate, then you perhaps understand why some of us do find this behaviour to be rude and unprofessional.

If they cannot take the time of day to perform a basic customer service "good morning, sir/madam", then they are not encouraging people to show them any respect and can hardly complain at others being rude to them.

Its not a case of UK bashing, UK security (especially at the BAA ports) is generally less pleasant than other places in Europe.

As for saying its okay because it is better than the US, well you are entitled to your opinion but is seems quite illogical to me.

I agree that ZRH is a very good experience and use it quite often.

You are even allowed to buy swiss knives and take them on planes.

Jess1968
20th Jul 2008, 11:02
If they cannot take the time of day to perform a basic customer service "good morning, sir/madam", then they are not encouraging people to show them any respect and can hardly complain at others being rude to them.

Absolutely agree with you, and I have complained numerous times when I have had specific reason to do so (I work airside so really know what good security customer service is and what is really bad!!) and every time I have spoken to the DM or SM the matter has been sorted out professionally and with good result!

As for the US...I think I was meaning to imply that the UK security is not the worst by far :)