PDA

View Full Version : Edinburgh city sightseeing

Robbo0885
16th Jul 2008, 11:54
Hi all.

This may sound a silly question, but is it possible to fly overhead Edinburgh city centre and see the sights? the thought would be a straight line through the edinburgh zone from north to the south, or in from the north and out at the east, allowing passengers the sights of edinburgh castle etc from 3000ft, thereabouts. I know it is all within controlled airspace, but I have only ever skimmed through the north edge of their airspace for training (kirkcaldy to the bridges and out again). whilst doing this, my instructor always said we werent supposed to go any further south than the bridges, to stay along the north bank of the Forth. (guessing that was for the particular clearance).

As long as the zone isnt too busy, can you request a direct transit such that you'd overfly the centre of Edinburgh? I wouldnt be circling overhead or anything. Likewise, similar to Edinburgh can the same be done at Aberdeen?

It seemed to me trhough PPL training that all we ever did with the likes of these busier zones was skim the edge just enough to get us talking to the controllers.

I've just got my PPL and am thinking that flying overhead places like Edinburgh castle is what makes the licence worth it all, you know?

Scottishflyer182
16th Jul 2008, 12:25
Hi,

I suggest you give Edin ATC a phone. Usually they allow up to 2000ft in the Zone. but you can ask for 3000ft

At 2000 feet I'm not sure if you could legally fly over head Edinburgh City and have enough height to land clear in the event of engine problems.

Remember an ATC clearance does not over ride legal obligations.

SF

Gertrude the Wombat
16th Jul 2008, 12:27
You get a really good view from a normal approach in an easyJet, weather permitting.

gasax
16th Jul 2008, 12:35
The answer is yes. It helps if it is not a busy period, particularly for Edinburgh as a westerly approach tends to cut off the coastal routing to the bridges. However ATC are usually very helpful and although you may have to hold for a bit they are pretty used to sight seeing.

Aberdeen is even better with a VFR lane all the way up the coast and a potential to orbit the city depending on how busy things are. Useful to try and avoid 0700, 0900 and 1100 as these times typically are around peak helicopter traffic.

Try this http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/299/DAP_ACD_Scottish.pdf for the southern zones background reading

dont overfil
16th Jul 2008, 12:56
The Edinburgh controllers are friendly and will almost certainly accommodate you.
Listen out to the ATIS on 131.350 before you call approach on 121.200 and give them the designator on first call. eg "Edinburgh approach G-xxxx request zone entry, information papa".
They will expect you to enter the zone at Kelty keeping the M90 on your left and staying VMC below 2000ft. At about Dunfermline you will be transferred to Tower on 118.700. They may ask you to hold at the south tower of the road bridge so have your camera ready.
Orbits over the city are not usually a problem but remember the land clear rule.
The most interesting route is to depart via Dalkeith keeping the bypass on your left and rejoin at Musselburgh which will give you a great view of the city.

Robbo0885
17th Jul 2008, 09:11
Thanks all,

i will get in touch with Ed ATC and have a chat aobut the best way to fit in a little sightseeing in the zone.

I've been thinking aobut the land clear rule, I figured that if I can get through at 3000ft, using a glide ratio of 11:1 in a Warrior, would I be right in saying (perhaps conservatively?) that from 3000ft I can glide around 6-7nm? If so, from above the city centre, I could land clear.

What would people advise in terms of altitude to comply with land clear? If I get passed an altitue of 2500, 2000 etc, then I figure I could venture over the city less than if I were at 3000, would this be right?

Am I right in my interpretation of the land clear rule, or am I missing something? Would anyone else plan this trip over edinburgh at 3000ft, or would you be a bit wary?

thanks all.

dont overfil
17th Jul 2008, 09:18
The normal VFR routes in, through and out of Edinburgh take into account the land clear rule. It would only be a problem if you orbited too far to the north.
DO.

xrayalpha
17th Jul 2008, 17:15
If you want to fly near a castle, try 500ft from the battlements of Stirling Castle. Nice green fields all the way from the motorway to the castle.

Then a quick fly past The Pineapple at Dunmore!

Very best,

Colin