PDA

View Full Version : Class 2 medical - contact lens requirement

rusty sparrow
16th Jul 2008, 08:45
JAR Class 2 (Private pilot) Visual Standards – Initial Examination requires: "Contact Lenses You may wear contact lenses as a student or private pilot (but not to correct near vision). If you do wear contact lenses, you should bring a report from an optometrist to your initial Class 2 examination, which must include the following: 1 your contact lens specification and corrected visual acuity; 2 confirmation that you have worn your contact lenses constantly and successfully for over eight hours a day over a period of at least one month." I didn't wear contact lens at my first examination last year - I assume that I now have to satisfy the above if I am examined wearing contact lens? If so, how is point 2 answered?

S-Works
16th Jul 2008, 09:02
How about you try wearing them for 8hrs and then tell the Doc?

Simple?

rusty sparrow
16th Jul 2008, 09:09
If thats how I can read it then fine - I was reading it that this statement has to be in a report from an optometrist - rather difficult for them to provide without round the clock monitoring of my lens wearing

S-Works
16th Jul 2008, 10:33
If thats how I can read it then fine - I was reading it that this statement has to be in a report from an optometrist - rather difficult for them to provide without round the clock monitoring of my lens wearing.

Exactly, common sense really. the Orwellian state is not on us just yet.

AMEandPPL
16th Jul 2008, 12:06
bose-x is absolutely right, we depend very much on common sense, and honesty from candidates for medicals. If you tell me that you are comfortable wearing contact lenses on a regular basis, and I find your visual acuity to be good with them in, why on earth should I doubt you ?

Actually, we don't distinguish as much nowadays as we used to between contact lenses and spectacles. The wording of the condition on the certificate ( and it's on mine, too ! ) is "shall wear corrective lenses . . . . ."

Corrective lenses can mean either glass ones in a metal frame, or plastic ones worn in the eye - in either case it is also a requirement that a "spare set of spectacles" is also carried.

rusty sparrow
16th Jul 2008, 19:40
But the document JAR Class 2 (Private pilot) Visual Standards – Initial Examination from the CAA contact website gives it as a must that "If you do wear contact lenses, you should bring a report from an optometrist to your initial Class 2 examination,which must include the following: • your contact lens specification and corrected visual acuity; • confirmation that you have worn your contact lenses constantly and successfully for over eight hours a day over a period of at least one month." Sounds like I can disregard the letter of that then - thanks for explanations. Medical booked for Friday so will soon have this question out of the way.

AMEandPPL
16th Jul 2008, 20:14
you should bring a report from an optometrist to your initial Class 2 examination

This is certainly true, and it can be very helpful, if we are seeing someone for the first time, for an initial class 2 medical. Since yours is now a renewal it could very probably be adhered to a lot less rigorously.

Good luck on Friday !

Hoots Mon
17th Jul 2008, 03:40
Hi Rusty,

I had my PPL Class 2 Medical about 4 months ago. All the Doc asked for over the phone was for me to bring my "prescription" with me. When I turned up with my lenses in and my bit of paper from the optician with the optical info on, he wanted me to read the chart in my (left at home) spectacles as well as my contacts. Which meant a second round trip. So I'd advise you to take your lenses, your opticians bit of paper (with optical info and address on) AND your spectacles, just in case!

Hope you enjoy the neck wringing exercises! lol :p

LH2
18th Jul 2008, 22:53
When I went for my Class I in Gatwick, the optician asked me about my contact lens use. I said I use them mostly when I'm not working. He then proceeded to sign me off specs only, at which point I enquired "WTF?" He said I need to wear them continuously (8hr, etc.) for at least a month before he can sign me off.

Well, if he'd bothered to ask his questions properly, he would have found out that I only work a few months a year :rolleyes:

I can't be bothered to argue with jobsworths so I'll just wear my contacts regardless. And to think I paid the best part of £400 for that joke of a checkup :hmm:

AMEandPPL
19th Jul 2008, 08:54
Just a question of getting it right really. Doing the job as you are supposed to do it. Most pilots do the same, when it comes to SOP's etc.

Since you went for a Class 1 at LGW, I can only presume that you are a professional pilot LH2. If so, I can only hope I'm never a passenger on one of your flights.

Actually, all your fatuous hot air is pretty unnecessary anyway. There is no longer a separate "contact lens" use condition on certificates, as there used to be in pre-JAR days.

As I explained just a few posts back :
Actually, we don't distinguish as much nowadays as we used to between contact lenses and spectacles. The wording of the condition on the certificate ( and it's on mine, too ! ) is "shall wear corrective lenses . . . . ."

Corrective lenses can mean either glass ones in a metal frame, or plastic ones worn in the eye - in either case it is also a requirement that a "spare set of spectacles" is also carried.

rusty sparrow
19th Jul 2008, 10:17
Passed the medical with no problem - the examiner put "shall wear corrective lenses" on the certificate plus carry spare glasses.

LH2
19th Jul 2008, 18:46
why be offensive . . . . . . . ?

:confused: Was that anything to do with me? Don't quite get it. Unless you were the clown in Gatwick who "checked me up" (for want of a better term), what is it that offends you exactly?

Apologies if your blurt was directed at someone else.

AMEandPPL
19th Jul 2008, 22:59
at which point I enquired " WTF ? "

Presumably you'll just laugh, and call me an old-fashioned prude.
OK, I'm proud to be that. Would you use that language in front of your mother ? or in front of mine ? or in front of your passengers ?

And the general attitude to "proper authority" . . . . . . just stinks.

I can't be bothered to argue with jobsworths so I'll just wear my contacts regardless

I'd love to witness the scene when someone gets on one of your flights and says NEARLY the same thing :

"I can't be bothered to argue with jobsworths so I'll just light a cigarette regardless"

PS - apologies to everyone else for the thread shift here - back forthwith to the subject of vision and lenses !

PPS - congratulations to rusty sparrow ! glad you passed with no problems ! like the old phrase says, "I told you so" !

LH2
20th Jul 2008, 17:47
at which point I enquired " WTF ? "

...figuratively. That's what I thought, not the words I used to convey the message :rolleyes: I still don't understand why does that matter to you, but each to his own :cool:

And the general attitude to "proper authority" . . . . . . just stinks.

Thank you for sharing that observation with us. Having a bad day today, are we? :}

AMEandPPL
21st Jul 2008, 07:59
Hope you enjoy the neck wringing exercises!

What on earth do you mean by that ? !

Honestly, I never wring anyone's neck while I'm carrying
out their medical ! Though I certainly can think of some I'd
LIKE to wring ! LOL