PDA

View Full Version : Company headsets policy

Genghis the Engineer
15th Jul 2008, 16:53
Forgive me for asking a daft question, but I don't work in the airline sector and this is an airline question.

What do the airlines / each airline do about headsets? Is it:

(a) Issue crew with good headsets?
(b) Issue crew with cheap and nasty headsets?
(c) Tell crew to go and get their own?

With two subsidiary questions:

(d) Where airlines issue headsets, are they generally happy with crews using their own "personal preference" headsets

(e) If airlines are issuing crews with headsets, what makes/models are commonly issued?

G

rubik101
15th Jul 2008, 17:35
Headsets yet again!
As mentioned in a dozen other threads, headsets have been discussed to death here on prune.
Try a search. Click on 'search' and type in 'headsets'. You get over 55 pages of hits, so what more do you need to know?
And you a Moderator?

cortilla
15th Jul 2008, 17:38
my airline issues the a/c with headsets and sanicom wipes. as to whether they're good or cheap idon't know as i have nothing to compare em with

desk_bound
15th Jul 2008, 18:15
Company puts headsets in the a/c..........90% use our own......nuff said?:ok:

Intruder
15th Jul 2008, 19:14
Same as deskbound. Company requires TSO'ed personal headsets.

Genghis the Engineer
15th Jul 2008, 19:54
Headsets yet again!
As mentioned in a dozen other threads, headsets have been discussed to death here on prune.
Try a search. Click on 'search' and type in 'headsets'. You get over 55 pages of hits, so what more do you need to know?
And you a Moderator?

Yes, I know, I know. Thing is, I got through the first few pages of hits, and after half an hour still hadn't found anything resembling the answer, so decided to ask the question anyway.

Anyhow, at-least I'm not asking "what's your favourite headset" which is the usual question.

G

inducedrag
15th Jul 2008, 20:08
My issue Telex airmen 750 but I use my own ANR telex 850 really good

Stuck_in_an_ATR
15th Jul 2008, 20:57
Mine issue crap headsets for every a/s (probably bought at Tesco). Use of own headset is officially prohibited as they are "not certified by ATR" :ugh: - but no one actually gives a damn - it's better to be against company SOP, than be deaf :E

A and C
15th Jul 2008, 21:57
The company that I work for issues pilots with a top quality N/R headset and a battery & recharger set to keep the N/R running.

No cheap & nasty here!

boredcounter
16th Jul 2008, 08:46
A/C modded from fixed headsets (wipes, ear piece covers in crew room) to personal issue N/R sets. We in Ops hold stocks to replace defective sets, and you guessed it loaners for fogotten / lost sets. (Stores function, but thats a thread creep)

Got less than 25 757's and what a ballache it is!

Cheap(?) sets that break on their own.

Biggest ballache.................. I think I left my H/S on G-**** four days ago has it turned up? or 10 mins before dep I haven't got my H/S it's not in my case.

License..............................£75K required
Passport............................£100+ required
Specs................................£99 for two pairs required

All out of the personal pocket

Look on the Pilots face when the Company recommends H/S insurance against loss etc as you are liable for the personal issue kit..........................

Priceless!

Guess you may spend about £300-500 nowdays for a good David Clarke or other, I don't know, but I bet few of them are lost, are firmly etched with a name. Yet my lots issued headsets are eched with an issue No., given to the recipient and never recorded by the owner.

Oh the scraps when we have more than 1 H/S found and held in Ops.

Still it will never change.

Bored

arba
16th Jul 2008, 09:29
company issue Sennheiser on 733's , OBS not equipped.

80% of us, use our own headset.

AMEandPPL
16th Jul 2008, 12:41
it's better to be against company SOP, than be deaf

Actually, hearing damage is not really the main hazard here. The biggest risk is infection, and specifically viral types, such as Herpes Simplex, which causes "cold sores" on lips etc.

Earpieces may be cleaned by some of the wipes which companies generously provide - the results of such wiping would be bacteriologically dubious, to say the very least !

But, can you imagine trying to wipe the surface of a mike ? And we all know that to get good transmission the mike needs to be near to (maybe touching) the lips. So, if the guy who did the leg before yours has Herpes Simplex . . . . . . . . need I say more ?

In such a case, if a compensation claim was made against an airline, it's difficult to see any kind of defence at all that could be put forward.

Denti
16th Jul 2008, 13:13
Company provides personal Semmheiser HME 45 (?) but quite a few use their own headset. Im quite happy with my Telex ANR 850 so far, much better than the Sennheiser junk (now permanently stored in my mailbox in the crewroom).

Capt Claret
17th Jul 2008, 02:59
A very informative response Rubik.

Genghis, in the 13 years I've been with my current employer in Orstraya (DH8, BAe146, B717) they've provided headsets.

From memory DC of some persuasion in the DH8, I used my personal H10-80. On the BAe146 and B717 the Co provides a telex of some sort; light weight, poor quality Rx & Tx. In the 146 I started with the trusty H10-80 then moved to a Bose-X.

The Bose wasn't really suited to the B717. As the Douglas-Boeing has no intercom, one had to keep an ear muff clear of one's ear to listen to Bloggs. Additionally, if one changed seats (LH to RH or vice versa) one needed a philips head screwdriver to change the boom mic and the security nazis wouldn't allow that!

On the 717 I use a Plantronics MS250, single earpiece, light weight headset.

My reasons for using a personal headset are, audio quality, and having watched a lot of Bloggs spit on and suck on the Mic, I don't like the idea of puting the things near my mouth. :8