PDA

View Full Version : EASA & Engine age

Mad Girl
14th Jul 2008, 16:59
I'm currently looking at an aeroplane with a Lycoming half life engine which was zero timed in 1995...(13 years)

I'm sure I've seen something about "12 year life" with regard to EASA regs, but I thought it was only concerning bringing an aeroplane onto the EASA land register and not if it already lives on the G reg...

Could someone please provide references to the discussion paper/legislation etc that talks about EASA not liking engines over 12 years old even if they haven't reached TBO, so that I can clarify the situation.

Thanks

MG

'India-Mike
14th Jul 2008, 18:16
CAP 747, Appendices 1-3, GR 24 - my documents are dated 2005 so things may have changed but I doubt it. You can go to 12 years+20%. Doesn't matter however if you're not going to hire it out. You can just keep going beyond that.

Gipsy Major engines not applicable (in fact it may be all Gipsies) as the manufacturer didn't publish a service life! So if you're looking at a Chipmunk you don't need to bother (yet - I'm sure it's only going to be a matter of time:*)

I'm sure proper engineers will be along to correct me if I'm wrong - I've just seen it from an owner's perspective so far.

A and C
14th Jul 2008, 19:12
You have coverd that very well!

NutLoose
15th Jul 2008, 19:44
As said above, you can actually read it all here ( current version)........
Scroll down to appendix 1 then GR24 for all the details.

http://www.caaerg.org.uk/docs/33/CAP747.PDF

One thing to check that a lot of people miss is Engine hoses, in the dim and distant you used to repeatedly pressure check them after an inital period then 3 yearly..... Lams changed this to replace at manufactures recommended so a PA28 they need to be replaced at 1000 hrs but a Cessna 152 is at Engine change...... so beware, they can cost a bit......

If needed, we buy ours direct from the USA from this Company

PHT Aircraft Hose Kits, Hose and Fittings (http://www.aircrafthose.com/)

It is where CSE Ltd used to buy theirs from, except cutting them out of the food chain Halved what we were paying for Hoses........ A and C might like that link... you can have them in a week :D

IO540
15th Jul 2008, 20:34
Most custom made Teflon 1500psi WP hoses cost about £40.

That U.S. firm is slightly cheaper (before shipping is taken into account) but I have used Saywell International (Worthing, UK) for hoses and they were about £40, custom made in Saywell's hose shop. Those were top spec Teflon hoses which have no life limit on them (on the TB20, anyway). Anybody can buy from Saywell, direct.

What can be expensive is if you need hoses with unusual fittings - they can be 5x dearer - but I don't think Cessna/Piper use any of those. Socata do have a few...

What is the situation with EASA Part M on engine life? Isn't there a special band 1000-2000kg?

WorkingHard
15th Jul 2008, 21:11
DONT repeat DONT whatever you do try and put a current EASA registered aircraft on the British register. The nitpicking and frankly obscure and ludicrous regulation they can find to charge you lots more money are unbelievable. We were all just beginning to think EASA would stop a lot of CAA stupidity. Dont you believe it they have had decades to perfect there pot of gold and they aint giving up for a long time yet!

NutLoose
15th Jul 2008, 22:06
Agreed about the TB20 but unless something has come out from the manufacturer as in the TB20, or a SI or the like has been issued you will still be obliged to fit standard hoses and comply with LAMS ( below ) or LAMP

Flexible fuel and oil hoses pressure test.
Next due:
Note: In accordance with type design organisation pressure testing
recommendations but in either case only until the ultimate service life, if stated, is
achieved.
CHK 72 Months
from new,
then every
36 Months
or See Note

though Lycoming have an SI that covers Engine Hoses, you then have to be careful as to what is Engine and what is deemed Airframe hoses and has they been approved for use on it.