PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft hire in Norfolk

Norfolk Newbie
13th Jul 2008, 12:49
Hi all, its been a while since I've posted, however I'm pleased to be able to say that I passed my skills test yesterday with 45 hours 55 minutes in my log book (prior to the test).

The original plan had been to start to look for a group at this point, however given the so called "credit crunch" I am not in a position to commit to the monthly spend at this time.

As a low hour pilot I want to keep my currency up and carry on learning. To this end can anyone recommend any schools with aircraft for hire at a reasonable cost (in Norfolk) - ideally looking for 2 seater and only for a couple of hours a month (about all the budget will stretch to). Costs is obviously the major factor here - given my limited experience, I'd rather have 1.5 hours in a tatty two seater than 45 minutes in an immaculate four seater.

Thanks!

Cusco
13th Jul 2008, 13:42
Whereabouts in Norfolk do you live?

Cusco

RTN11
13th Jul 2008, 14:37
I used to fly out of Norwich

Norwich School of flying has some pretty cheap PA-38s. The hourly rate is pretty reasonable, but they're quite slow so if you're actually planning to fly somewhere you'd be better off with a faster more expensive aircraft, It'll save you money in the long run. Call them on 01603403107

Anglia Flight or Anglia Air Centre (i get mixed up between the two) have a very cheap cessna. It's also an aerobat, so you could do a bit of aerobatics or advanced training if you want. I dont have the numbers for this place, but a quick search should find them.

I only flew out of Norwich, so not too sure where else would be good.

Norfolk Newbie
13th Jul 2008, 14:48
Whereabouts in Norfolk do you live?

About 5 miles to the north of Norwich, so Norfolk and north Suffolk are okay.

Norwich School of flying has some pretty cheap PA-38s. The hourly rate is pretty reasonable, but they're quite slow so if you're actually planning to fly somewhere you'd be better off with a faster more expensive aircraft, It'll save you money in the long run. Call them on 01603403107

Speed isn't that much of an issue as for the next few months I just want to "bimble" about the local area and work on parts of my flying that still need improvement (most of it).

Anglia Flight or Anglia Air Centre (i get mixed up between the two) have a very cheap cessna. It's also an aerobat, so you could do a bit of aerobatics or advanced training if you want. I dont have the numbers for this place, but a quick search should find them.

Thats great, as Norwich International Spaceport is only a few miles from me - do you know if the schools have any sensible arrangements for landing fees as Norwich has the reputation of being incredibly expensive.

Thanks for all the info so far

UAV689
13th Jul 2008, 17:00
join anglia gliding club @ wattisham, motorglider for £35 an hour! + cheap gliding and a cheaper bar!

RTN11
13th Jul 2008, 20:51
I believe that aircraft landing at norwich pay some ludicrous rate like £30, but all the schools based there refused to pay that, so they bargained them down to below a tenner.

I think I was paying £8.50 for the PA-38, and the anglia flight website Flying lessons Norwich - Learn to Fly Norwich - Anglia Flight (http://www.anglia-flight.co.uk/) quotes their cessna rate as £88 plus VAT plus landing at £7.50 plus VAT = £112 per hour. I dont think you'll find much cheaper than that. I now fly from bournemouth, and most of the schools have landing cards on at least one aircraft, so free landings all the time. makes circuits a lot more fun, and I don't know why noone at norwich has tried this arrangement.

FantomZorbin
13th Jul 2008, 21:32
Norfolk Newbie

Have a look at the Old Buckenham Aero Club website at: Old Buckenham Aero Club (http://www.oldbuckaeroclub.co.uk/contact.html)

... or was that where you did your training?:ok:

Justiciar
14th Jul 2008, 06:11
Check your PMs!

Vick Van Guard
14th Jul 2008, 09:11
Have you considered the Mc Aully Group at Little Snoring?

They have a very nice 172 currently at £74/hour incl (although this will be going up shortly).

Places in the group are limited, and you will need to find £250 to buy a share, which you get back when you leave the group.

It is a great set up, and a lovely place to fly from.:ok:

McAully Flying Group (http://www.mcaullyflyinggroup.org/index.htm)

Norfolk Newbie
14th Jul 2008, 16:26
... or was that where you did your training?:ok:

Yes it was.... Unfortunately the rate for their PA-28's is pretty expensive now. Its a shame they don't have anything smaller (i.e. cheaper) - I really don't need to haul 3 empty seats around to gain experience!

I believe that aircraft landing at norwich pay some ludicrous rate like £30, but all the schools based there refused to pay that, so they bargained them down to below a tenner.

Well it seems like the schools at norwich may be worth a look, I'll make some calls....

Have you considered the Mc Aully Group at Little Snoring?

Now that does sound like a good setup and at the right kind of price point (and the aircraft looks in pretty good nick). Actually my first ever flight was from Snoring about 20 years ago!

Thanks everybody so far, It seems that at least I can hire an aircraft without having to spend £150+ an hour! Now all I have to wait for is the CAA to process my licence!

sicobra
16th Jul 2008, 08:18
Hi, an extra one for you to consider would be Seething, we are a private members clubs with two nice club aircraft, a PA28 and C172 and although I am not sure of the actual rates at the moment(as I fly my own a/c) I think they are about £80 per hour wet, but there are some conditions and the main one is that we expect all members to put something into the running of the club in return for the use of the a/c. That will mean helping out on saturdays(on a rota system) as duty pilot cooking lunches, tiding club house, sorting fuel etc, in return you after an initial joining period you get to use the club a/c which have good availability and also be part of a realy great club. As all members put someting in, all members get something in return and with about 20 a/c based on the field there are often spare seats about for extra experience. Saturdays are training days and usualy busy, sundays are a bit more relaxed. Have a look at the club websitehttp://www.seething-airfield.com/ and pop down on a weekend and have a chat but please remember that we do expect members to put something back into the club so we are not a turn up, hire and go commercial setup , cheers SiCobra:ok:

niknak
16th Jul 2008, 17:56
RTN
Landing fees at Norwich for private flights are £8.90 per half tonne, with a considerable discount (around 25%) for paying on the day, with further discounts for training flights.
Still, never get the facts get in the way of doom, gloom, murders and shipwrecks:rolleyes::ugh:.

Norfolk Newbie
17th Jul 2008, 17:35
Landing fees at Norwich for private flights are £8.90 per half tonne, with a considerable discount (around 25%) for paying on the day, with further discounts for training flights.
Still, never get the facts get in the way of doom, gloom, murders and shipwrecks:rolleyes::ugh:.

Are there some strings attached to this (i.e. has to be a based aircraft etc) as there was a letter written into one of the flying magazines recently by someone who got charged something like £47 for landing - The response from Norwich was something like thats our minimum invoice and we're not looking to expand our G.A. activities...

Definately worthwhile knowing the lowdown on this as it is really convenient for work!

RTN11
18th Jul 2008, 17:07
niknak

i heard from 2 of the flying schools at norwich that norwich airport wanted to charge them in the region of £30-40 per landing. They negotiated this down to under a tenner, which may apply to aircraft not based at norwich, but from Norfolk Newbie's post perhaps not.

niknak
18th Jul 2008, 20:37
I'm not directly involved with landing fees and money, but it's all in the fees and charges which are on the airport website, what based operators negotiate and actually pay, I've no idea.

The important factor for visiting pilots, is that if you pay on the day you'll get the cheaper landing fee
If you don't you will be sent a bill and be walloped with a minimum invoice fee of £45 - that's what the bean counters estimate it costs in time to prepare the bill and then having to wait for the dosh to arrive (on average 35 days).

It's up to you.

RTN11
20th Jul 2008, 10:58
ah, now it all makes sense.

A bit of thread drift, but what is the most u paid to land? for me i think £15.

Phil Space
21st Jul 2008, 06:51
Worth factoring in to costs of hiring at Norwich is the time spent getting to the hold.

Allow at least ten minutes to get from the aeroclub to airborne when using 27 at Norwich.

Intersection take offs from the disused would make more sense but airport policy dictates a waste of fuel vial a long ground taxi.