View Full Version : Concorde ... out of the Hangar today!

samsonyte
4th Jul 2001, 09:33
If you're at LHR today, from 3pm for about 3 hours Concorde will be touring the taxiways. Good to see the old lady on her way back!

BOEINGBOY1
4th Jul 2001, 12:35
good things are worth waiting for.
shame brian (RIP) can't share the moment with us.

Big Red ' L '
4th Jul 2001, 17:49
Great, How long before the first picture of it will be posted on here... ? :)

------------------
Its not the fall that kills you...Its the sudden stop..... http://www.stopstart.btinternet.co.uk/bigredel.gif

[This message has been edited by Big Red ' L ' (edited 04 July 2001).]

Tartan Gannet
5th Jul 2001, 11:23
Delighted that its on its way back. Look forward to hearing that familiar and greatly missed roar over Reading in the not too distant future. :)

FL390
9th Jul 2001, 21:10
I was around the BA maintenance area on Friday and I saw Concorde there doing engine tests; running the engines up to clear the cobwebs! Great to see the old bird again. :cool:

PAXboy
9th Jul 2001, 22:03
A couple of weeks ago I was on EZY from PMI to LTN and the routing took us over LHR at about FL290 (I think they said).

It was a fabulously clear afternoon and I got a magnificent bird's eye view of the place from an angle that I had not seen before.

What drew my eye was three Concordes sitting next to each in the sun, in perfect 'plan view' :cool:

From any angle and any altitude, she is the one.

Hogwash
9th Jul 2001, 22:35
Good News!

Just a quick question. Why do people refer to Concords as a single entity? rather like saying they saw 747! :)

gordonroxburgh
10th Jul 2001, 01:21
This is really good news. Thing now really look to be moving to get the Great Birds back in the Sky.

Rumour around Heathrow today is that Wed 11th or Thursday 12th will be when she takes to the air to start the re-certification process, with a 3 hr flight out into the Altlantic and then back to RAF Brize Norton for more tests.

If this is so, good luck to everyone involved at BA who read this forum.

FL390
10th Jul 2001, 01:47
Excellent, I am very near Brize, I REALLY hope that that rumour is true! :cool: :cool:

Ear2ground
10th Jul 2001, 03:40
Concorde OAF planned ETS late morning 12July. It is then, as everyone has stated planning a simulated JFK trip by heading 1.5hrs out across the pond before returning to Brize where it will undergo several evalution flights and ground tests.

Best of luck to everyone involved.

N380UA
10th Jul 2001, 09:10
Can't wait to see her up again. Rising up like the Phoenix, back to here old grandeur! :) :)

spannerhead
10th Jul 2001, 18:47
What have the pilots and E/Os been doing since the Paris tragedy???

Ear2ground
11th Jul 2001, 02:40
OAF not expected to fly now until next week, possibly Monday 16th, however further taxi trials around LHR are expected possibly Thursday 12th.

DrSyn
11th Jul 2001, 03:16
I gather, spannerhead, that some kept current on the sim and one or two moved fleet. However, I am reliably informed, by a BA 747 mate, that one should now exercise extreme caution in accepting a round of golf against any Concorde pilots/engs - if money is involved!

Very much looking forward to seeing and hearing the great bird back in the home-counties skies again.

Mr Benn
13th Jul 2001, 02:58
Crews have been kept busy on other fleets, however they start training back on the Conc fleet next month.
Whatever happened to that thread that was started up about chartering one of the Concs for a pprune trip?
No profit, inaugural flight type deal, could be excellent PR for BA, a bunch of pilots flying as passengers.

gaunty
13th Jul 2001, 05:42
Thunderbirds are Go!!

Fantastic news. :)

Mr Benn what a fabulous idea, can you get em to take a turn past Oz on the way pleeeeease. :p

Llademos
13th Jul 2001, 17:21
Back out again today (Friday) at 3pm ... it's going to the stand for a practice push-back

Blighty Pilot
13th Jul 2001, 23:08
Due to fly into Brize Norton on Tuesday 17th. :D

[ 13 July 2001: Message edited by: Blighty Pilot ]

FL390
14th Jul 2001, 00:26
Right, so far we've had 3 dates for Concorde going into Brize Norton. We've had the 12th, 16th an now 17th.

Can someone confirm which one it is please????? (I know it can't be the 12th because we've gone past that one!)

gordonroxburgh
14th Jul 2001, 01:32
All sources now point to Flying on17th....Same day as BA AGM

FL390
14th Jul 2001, 09:27
Thank you "gordonroxburgh." I will have my eyes and ears pealed around Brize then! :cool: :cool:

BEagle
14th Jul 2001, 09:48
No doubt all the US Secret Service spooks making sure that everything is OK for George Dubya's arrival on Wednesday will be overjoyed at the prospect of hordes of little aluminium stepladder folk thronging the boundary fence........

Ear2ground
14th Jul 2001, 14:17
The dates keep slipping due to the ETS going backwards. Rumour has it that having been left 'dry' for so long, the fuel tanks may be seeping. Curing times tend to drag at the best of times.

BRL
14th Jul 2001, 18:11
Concorde drivers... Any chance of the jumpseat..? ;)

Seriously though, good luck chaps. Have a safe flight. :)

http://avanimation.avsupport.com/gif/Concorde.gif

[ 14 July 2001: Message edited by: Big Red ' L ' ]

Trislander
15th Jul 2001, 17:35
Sorry to add another set of info to the list but it read on Sky News Active that the Concorde will be test flying from DERA Boscombe Down, Wilts.
Has anyone else heard this???

Is it definatley Brize on tuesday??? Does anyone have an approx. time?

Thanks,
Tri

------------------
http://www.aurigny.com/images.gb%20/trislander.jpg
"Ayline 221 airbourne"

kfly
16th Jul 2001, 03:09
Good luck to everyone involved for the flight down to Brize Norton - whenever it may be.

It will be good to see and hear Concorde back in action again.

NoSurrender
16th Jul 2001, 03:38
Does DERA still exist? :p

Evo7
16th Jul 2001, 11:22
Most of DERA is now QinetiQ, with the bits they couldn't flog off (Porton Down, Vanguard-related etc) becoming some other four-letter acronym and being reabsorbed by MoD.

t'aint natural
16th Jul 2001, 20:27
According to this afternoon's London Evening Standard:

"The world's media, aviation experts and hundreds of enthusiasts are expected to gather at Heathrow to see the supersonic jet take off at about 2.20pm. BA Captain Mike Bannister, backed up by four of the country's top cabin crew, will take the plane out on its normal route towards the Bristol Channel."

Four of them? Bit excessive, even for Nigel.