PDA

View Full Version : Information needed

jimbo715
9th Jul 2008, 16:36
Hi all,

I am currently serving in the RAF and will be shortly starting my PPL. I was looking into doing my CPL, but due to the costs/current economy I dont see it happening in the near future. My question is relatively simple can I get the Multi Piston Engine Rating on my PPL or do I have to do the CPL?

Many Thanks for your time

hoodie
9th Jul 2008, 16:42
Yes, is the short answer - a Multi-Engine Piston rating is available for your PPL. LASORs (available online) has the full skinny, but you might find this (http://www.flyer.co.uk/jar/ppl_valid_multi.php) helpful as well.

A request from me - in the future, could you give a hint of your question in the subject line? Then we might now whether we can help without opening the thread - and lots of knowledgeable people might not bother to do that!

youngskywalker
9th Jul 2008, 16:45
No need for a CPL, when you have completed the PPL which will entitle you to fly SEP (single engine piston) you can then do training for the MEP (mutli engine piston). Think it's less than ten hours of training but I can't remember anymore.

Bloody expensive mind you, and difficult to find somebody willing to rent you one unless you have quite a few hours on twins.

Good fun to fly but you will need to approach flying them with a much more serious and professional attitude. They can and do bite. Good training and keeping current are the ingreidients to staying alive.

K.Whyjelly
9th Jul 2008, 16:47
Hi all,

I am currently serving in the RAF and will be shortly starting my PPL. I was looking into doing my CPL, but due to the costs/current economy I dont see it happening in the near future. My question is relatively simple can I get the Multi Piston Engine Rating on my PPL or do I have to do the CPL?

Many Thanks for your time

Hi Jimbo............don't know which of the Scottish bases you are at but if you are doing your ppl through the service club...........RAF Flying Clubs' Association (RAFFCA) - Homepage (http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafflyingclubs/).......

......they can give you all the advice you need. And no' you don't need to wait until you do a CPL to get a MEPR

foxmoth
9th Jul 2008, 17:35
when you have completed the PPL which will entitle you to fly SEP (single engine piston) you can then do training for the MEP (mutli engine piston).

I think you will find if you read the rules you can even do the PPL on a MEP, not really practical though,and if you do this you cannot fly SEP without training - expensive way of doing it as well!:eek:

Fake Sealion
10th Jul 2008, 16:06
Jimbo

Its not clear if you are a QSP or even a partially Q'dSP!
If either, you can obtain full credit towards PPL or NPPL SEP requirement hours but only for military flying in SEP's - ie Tucanos and helos don't count!:=

Full details in LASORS and via RAF Flying Clubs

Good luck

Nashers
10th Jul 2008, 17:57
you can also do an IR on the ppl as its just another rating like the Multi. the CPL is another licence.

bigfoot01
10th Jul 2008, 18:26
...you have to have 70 hours P1 before you can start training MEP, or did I just make that up?

Erm