PDA

View Full Version : Hello from a newbie!

rich_g85
9th Jul 2008, 10:35
Hi all,
Just thought I'd say hello, I've been reading these forums for some time now and though it was time to start posting!

I'm considering doing my NPPL at Compton Abbas (EGHA) in a Piper PA-28. I'm in the process of arranging a one-hour trial lesson with the flying club there, probably for the first weekend in August which I'm really looking forward to.

So over the next few weeks you'll probably be answering loads of newbie questions! :)

Rich

BRL
9th Jul 2008, 10:47
Hi Rich and welcome.

You can ask as many questions as you like, there is a serious amount of talented pilots on these forums who can answer almost anything thrown at them!!

You would do well to have a look at From Zero to Forty Five - My PPL Diary (http://www.pprune.org/forums/private-flying/138022-zero-forty-five-my-ppl-diary.html).

Good luck and keep us updated on how things are going. :)

tuscan
9th Jul 2008, 11:38
Hi Rich,
like you I am fairly new to PPRUNE even though Ive had my licence for quite some time now.

Enjoy.....

Always remember that what you read here may sometimes conflict with what you are learning and although this is a great source of very helpfull advice given by well meaning fellow pilots you should refer back to your instructor or the clubs CFI when you have any doubts about certain topics.

Good luck with your flying, Im sure you will love it:ok:

Crash one
9th Jul 2008, 23:51
Hi Rich & welcome
have fun, you will enjoy it.

Blues&twos
10th Jul 2008, 21:56
Just don't mention conveyor belts.

Seriously.

rich_g85
10th Jul 2008, 22:19
Thanks all for the welcome :) - and I promise I won't mention conveyor belts! :confused:

vintagewizard
21st Jul 2008, 15:26
I expect you have a plan for your NPPL once you have it. If it is for cups of tea, have you considered flying microlights..they are not all vile looking, and much less expensive!!

flybymike
21st Jul 2008, 17:14
At least BRL got the first reply in before Keygrip donked the thread.:)

BroomstickPilot
21st Jul 2008, 17:40
Hi Rich g85,

Do take a look, not only at the latest generation of three-axis microlights, but also at flying a VLA (very light aircraft).

Flying one of these instead of the heavy, thirsty, lumbering Pa28 could save you a packet over the course of your NPPL course.

Broomstick.

RTN11
21st Jul 2008, 19:59
Why only an NPPL? it's not THAT much more to do a full PPL, and then you can go touring in europe. Just a thought.

Also, if you later decide to add to your licence, i do not think you can add an IMC to an NPPL. I'm sure I will be correct if wrong.

rich_g85
21st Jul 2008, 20:42
vintagewizard - My plan once I complete my NPPL is to fly myself and my girlfriend around the skies of Somerset and Dorset! Maybe the odd trip to my old man's near Leeds (maybe!)

BroomstickPilot - I'll certainly consider it, although I'm more than a little wary of microlights having seen one blowing all over the place on finals at Compton this Saturday! :)

RTN11 - Why 'only' the NPPL? It's purely down to cost, and I've no real desire to fly outside the UK (at the moment anyway). As you say, it's something I can always add on later if it becomes necessary.

BroomstickPilot
22nd Jul 2008, 06:17
Hi rich_g85,

If you did decide to go micro/VLa, you wouldn't do it at Compton Abbas, which is one of the highest, if not the highest aerodrome in the UK at about 800' amsl. (The height of the airfield has both advantages and disadvantages).

Until recently (I don't know the current position), Old Sarum has had both Icarus three axis micros and a Sky Arrow VLA and if you look around you may find other options in other places. Worth a look before you commit yourself to £££k of expenditure.

Broomstick.

Rod1
22nd Jul 2008, 07:40
Welcome to the mad house, and good luck with the NPPL. Just remember it is vital that you get a pink headset if at all possible.:E

Rod1

vincegod
22nd Jul 2008, 07:51
The real question is really what type of flying do you want to do?

If you want to fly the local area, visit many local strips, meet up with fellow flyers for the craic, own the machine so you can fly when you want and to generally have a good sociable flying hobby then go Microlights. Microlighting is not just about the machines it's about the social side. You can still visit your parents in Leeds, it will just take a little longer and take more planning but at the end of the day you will feel much rewarded.

The heavier stuff has their uses, they hand the weather better, usually have greater speed and range, are not restricted to 2 seats and a few more I can’t think of at the moment. Local flying at 100 knots @ 2000’-3000’ in GA IMHO is no where near as nice as bumbling about at 60 knots @ 1000’-1500’ in a Microlight.

Vince