View Full Version : Does tankering drive up the price of jet fuel/oil?

AIEXPATS
8th Jul 2008, 19:17
In my airline we "tanker" a fair bit out of Home Base.

For example landing in European Airports with 30,000 kgs remaining.
On some sectors close to 5,000 ltr's are burned up.
Now for arguments sake, if we take all the airlines worldwide that tanker (most notably in the Middle East based), which naturally increases the demand for oil (due to obvious excessive consumption and waste), thus the price per barrel!
Would then normal dispatching and fuel reserves not actually cause a huge drop in the daily use of fuel, thus potentially a drop in the price of oil in the not to near future and causing huge relief for all those concerned?

757_Driver
8th Jul 2008, 20:12
firstly despite what all the greenies say, the usage of aviation fuel is a tiny drop in the ocean, if we all stopped flying overnight, i doubt it would effect the price of oil.

Secondly, The current oil price has more to do with the value of the dollar, financial markets and a million other factors than the fundamental supply and demand situation.

So, no, i doubt it would make any difference at all.

Taildragger67
9th Jul 2008, 10:52
Now for arguments sake, if we take all the airlines worldwide that tanker (most notably in the Middle East based), which naturally increases the demand for oil (due to obvious excessive consumption and waste), thus the price per barrel!

So if we consider the Middle east airlines likely to tanker, that's what, probaby 500-600 airframes out of a global fleet of several thousand? And considering we're only talking about the marginal extra fuel usage to lug the tankered juice around... keeping in mind that that then reduces demand at the port where the fuel is tankered to. Further, you can only tanker so far - that is to say, if you plan to tanker on, say, a 777, with a full-to-dry endurance of, say, 15 hours, then you can't operate a 15-hour sector and hope to tanker; it's the 6-7-8-9-hour legs you'll be tankering on (so further reducing the impact of tankering).

There's also the point that, as you've pointed out, most tankering is done by M/E carriers - where fuel is cheap-as (which is why they do it) and plentiful!