PDA

View Full Version : Question for Canadian students / pilots

m_cudin
8th Jul 2008, 09:12
Good Morning to everybody! My name's Marco, I'm an Italian private pilot, 26 years old, and I want to complete my training until an ATPL licence. Unfortunately here in Europe, and especially in Italy, flight schools are very expensive and the market is quite close, so Italian students have a very hard work to do if they want to become pilots!
But my question is this: I'm planning to move to USA to complete my training, maybe in a school that can give me also a JAA licence. Prices right now are very good over there, especially because of the low-value US dollar. But it's a long time that I'm thinking also to Canada, maybe because I have a lot of relatives of mine living over there, close to Toronto.
So, right now, here is the question: USA or CANADA? I know that it seems a big question and maybe quite stupid, but I'm speaking about all the points of view.
For example:
1) Type of licence issued (i still don't know which type of licence is used in Canada...)
2) Prices (school prices, life prices)
3) Time required to complete a course
4) Job availability after the course completion.

Of course this is just a 4 steps guideline, but every aspect that you want to show me making a comparison between USA and Canada for me is good, ok?
Thanks in advance to everybody who wants to help me in this decision.

Thankyou a lot...and keep flyin'

:ok:

+TSRA
9th Jul 2008, 00:20
Hello Marco

I will try and answer your question as best as I can. Its been a while since I last sat right seat in a 172 but I think Im still current :}

1) Canada has its own licence issued by Transport Canada, Transport Canada - Transports Canada (http://www.tc.gc.ca). It is ICAO recognized but not directly transferable to the JAR licence (mind you I dont think the FAA one is either)

2) Depends on the plane, but for single engine in the Toronto area you will be looking at around the $160+ mark for a C172, around $300 for a light twin (again depending on type). Something like a 152, 150 or Katana may be cheaper, but then there is only so much you can do with friends in a two-seater...

3) Time is dependant upon your finances and weather. I did my PPL in a 6 week consolodated course, and most CPLs are offered in the area of 12 - 18 months. The biggest thing though is money - if you can afford to fly 2 or more hours a day then you will be done in around 5 months all told.

4) Jobs are hard to get for the new pilot here in Canada. When you graduate with 200 or so hours, fresh commercial, maybe a MEIFR you will be one of hundreds (just like back home). Your best bet is to still work the ramp for a year somewhere rather than sending out a billion resumes hoping someone will hire you. Otherwise, go instruct until you hit the magic 1000 hour mark (dont let anyone tell you 500 hours will get you a job right away...it wont) and then go searching for a twin job.