PDA

View Full Version : Leading edge slat dangling from parked 772

MrSoft
6th Jul 2008, 14:41
Passenger here. Just curious, wasn't worried, don't hit me! etc.

BA106 (B777-200) out of Dubai the other night was late boarding. I had a peep out of the window, and one of the front edge slats was still hanging down whereas all its neighbours were nicely stowed.

A mechanic appeared up a gantry, grabbed a hold and wriggled it a few times, to no effect, but each time with a bit more force. Finally reached in, and appeared to start unscrewing something, using both hands. I started to think, hey he's going to take it off, then suddenly he just pushed it shut, and down he came.

Out of nothing more than simple curiosity, I wonder if this is (a) a common scenario, and (b) presumably if it refused to stow you wouldn't be able to fly? Must admit, in my head I was already on my plan B for an enforced stopover. Thanks in advance.

SMOC
6th Jul 2008, 15:01
Are you sure it wasn't the refulling panel? Sounds like he was disconnecting the fuel line and then replacing the fuel cap and finally closing the refuel panel.

Here's a couple of pics of a refuel panel from a 737 on it's right wing, 777 is on the left wing but has fuel couplings on the right as well.

DSC00058-1.JPG (image) (http://bp3.blogger.com/_QlR4hl7D3d4/RkvlP-xHeVI/AAAAAAAAAHw/l5YCP3CHh1c/s1600-h/DSC00058-1.JPG)

DSC00059.JPG (image) (http://bp0.blogger.com/_QlR4hl7D3d4/RkvlQOxHeWI/AAAAAAAAAH4/yzDN__yXuz0/s1600-h/DSC00059.JPG)

Edit:Additional info.

keel beam
6th Jul 2008, 15:39
Mr Soft, keep the questions coming. If anything that concerns a passenger and they ask the question on here, hopefully the answers will put their minds at ease.

MrSoft
6th Jul 2008, 17:47
Thanks for replies. Pretty sure he wasn't refuelling, the apron is quite bright and there was no hose evident.

Looking at this photo, I am fairly sure we are talking about the second slat outboard of the engine, which is probably about 8 to 10 feet wide.

Photos: Boeing 777-223/ER Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/photo/American-Airlines/Boeing-777-223-ER/1366442/L/&tbl=photo_info&photo_nr=38&sok=WHERE__%28aircraft_generic_%3D_%27Boeing_777-200%27%29_&sort=_order_by_photo_id_DESC_&prev_id=1366708&next_id=1366433)

Swedish Steve
6th Jul 2008, 21:09
I am fairly sure we are talking about the second slat outboard of the engine,

This is where the refuel panel is.
The slats on a B777 are driven all together by one motor. If one moves they all move. The connections are torque tubes and gearboxes. (Unlike a B737).
If he pushed it in, it was seriously broken.

Beeline
7th Jul 2008, 10:30
Not CRS on the triple but am on the 767.

Are the Slat PDUs the same,x2 drive units l/h o/b r/h i/b??

Possible slat asymmetry, does it have a skew mechanism, or work off Prox sensor input into FSEU?

Too explain, the slats and flaps have a built in safety system if one surface moves out of sync with the others the aircraft can shut the system down and relay a msg up to the flight deck too signal that an asymetric condition exists.

I am sure if the engineer restowed the retracted stat into position he rigged all the mechanism in accordance with his maintenance manual and inspected all the rotary mechanism to check for failures!!

Bline