PDA

View Full Version : Whats a weel paid job if not PILOT

jxc
2nd Jul 2008, 07:07
Ok doctor is out of the question, what other very well paid occupations are out there if you have not got gcse's 'A' levels etc ?

Whirlygig
2nd Jul 2008, 08:30
Gun running, drug peddling and prostitution can be lucrative!

I can't think of any job/role that will pay more than the average wage to someone with no qualifications. Your best bet is to be self-employed in a building trade and work your socks off.

Cheers

Whirls

Nearly There
2nd Jul 2008, 08:38
Try googling the same question, plenty of info on the web.

The best (and worst) paid jobs in Britain | This is Money (http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/article.html?in_article_id=429134&in_page_id=2)

spinnaker
2nd Jul 2008, 08:52
Joiner, plumber, electrician. Buy a JCB and earn £550+ per day.

None of the above require getting assaulted by security each day when you go to work, or require ass kissing to get or keep job. I guess these jobs will get hit in the recession, but then, so will flying.

jxc
2nd Jul 2008, 17:26
I wonder if i can get the JCB to fly !!

Cheers

jxc
2nd Jul 2008, 17:35
I wonder if i can get the JCB to fly !!
I dont mind traing for a job suppose IT could be learnt ?

Cheers

LH2
2nd Jul 2008, 17:54
As mentioned, plenty of jobs are better paid than being a pilot. If you are comparing with other trades, the main difference is as a pilot you invest a lot more in your training (as opposed to, e.g., a carpenter or a mason), although you do not generally have to buy your own tools. After the initial investment though, you generally get to work a lot less for a similar amount of money.

Comparing against a profession is not entirely fair, as being a pilot does not involve following a prolonged course of study at a recognised academic institution, but having said that, as an employee it's in certain professions such as legal, finance, and engineering (coupled with actual competence) where the big money is made.

The third way is of course to have your own successful company, that's the highest risk/highest potential returns option.

Prop meets tarmac
2nd Jul 2008, 19:12
Sparky(electrician) is a good job, but five years as an apprentice untill you earn any money. But their is money if you run your own company and are savy enough, plenty out their working themselfs to death for no money.
Saying all that b:mad:cks to it im going for the fATPL and pray , hope and beg for a job on £10 a week flying a 40 year old crate in some s:mad:t hole of country

Nashers
2nd Jul 2008, 19:29
male gigolo!!

failing that you can become a politician like gordon brown... just do a better job pls!

rons22
2nd Jul 2008, 19:39
window cleaner

JohnPits
2nd Jul 2008, 22:15
Stockbroker, Banker, Win the lottery, marry someone rich.

AlphaMale
2nd Jul 2008, 22:17
HGV Driver ... While you're at it get yourself an ADR licence and work as much overtime as you can. I've spoken to the drivers at my company and they earn a good sum every month and they don't have any qualifications. :rolleyes: (You need to be over 25 though).

clunk1001
2nd Jul 2008, 22:37
you could teach spelling,
:ok:

and grammar

:)

LH2
3rd Jul 2008, 00:04
they earn a good sum every month and they don't have any qualifications

Let me remind you that neither does a pilot.

you could teach spelling,

and grammar

Nah, theirs is no market for it. Ppl r not intireested :ok:

BerksFlyer
3rd Jul 2008, 00:49
Let me remind you that neither does a pilot.So an ATPL to you doesn't count as a qualification?

HGV drivers also have a qualification, the licence to drive HGVs.

The point AM is trying to make is that you can make good money by being a HGV driver. I doubt the market for HGV drivers is as competitive as the market for pilots. Most pilots have at least A levels, lots have degrees or vocational qualifications. Maybe HGV drivers also have these qualifications, but I'm sure that if a cross section of the two professions was shown, the pilots would have better qualifications than the HGV driver.

As an answer to the original question, you can become a financial adviser by doing the exams required. Same for accounting. Having said that, if you don't have GCSEs I'm not sure if you'd get a job.

LH2
3rd Jul 2008, 04:05
Berks,

So an ATPL to you doesn't count as a qualification?

No. It's just a licence, not an academic qualification (not in the UK anyway, although in some places it can count as tertiary education). Exactly the same as an HGV or PCV licence, as you say.

AlphaMale
3rd Jul 2008, 08:34
Let me remind you that neither does a pilot.

Yes I know that, but as stated above by BerksFlyer, you more likely to come across a Pilot with a degree than you are a HGV driver.

Investing in a Class C+E Articulated licence as well as an ADR licence (Dangerous Goods by Road) will land you a job quicker than investing in a fATPL with OAT to put you in the RHS of a BA jet ... and a much smaller price tag too. And the funny thing is that the HGV driver will also earn more then the FO for the first 3 years or so. :ugh:

Philpaz
3rd Jul 2008, 09:46
HGV Driver ... While you're at it get yourself an ADR licence and work as much overtime as you can. I've spoken to the drivers at my company and they earn a good sum every month and they don't have any qualifications. :rolleyes: (You need to be over 25 though).

You only have to be 21 for the ADR licence (same as C+E), its probably your companys insurance that has the age requirement. and as far as overtime goes you can only work 90 hours in a 2 week period and no more than 56 in a single week so your options there are limited too.

Investing in a Class C+E Articulated licence as well as an ADR licence (Dangerous Goods by Road) will land you a job quicker than investing in a fATPL with OAT to put you in the RHS of a BA jet ... and a much smaller price tag too. And the funny thing is that the HGV driver will also earn more then the FO for the first 3 years or so.

Also mostly wrong, your average C+E boy is only on £10 ph which working on a 45 hour week is still a rather poor wage and no company is gonna touch you with a barge pole without experience. You'd be a slave to the agencies for a good while first. No fun there at all. Even the OAT FO's are on 28k + aren't they? Mind suppose after loan repayments the Trucker might just edge it. If anyone watches the news though there has been a lot mor speculation around the future of the HGV driver than the Boeing driver with respect to fuel costs.

I got my C+E and ADR in the military but have since let the ADR lapse as there was no money in it. Much prefer working as a telecommunications contractor and earning between 5 and 7K a month. Contracting is definately where the money is, get your MS cert and some cisco (CCNA, CCNB, CCND and CCNP) quals and you'll be demanding 300-500 per day just for showing up.

Paz

LH2
3rd Jul 2008, 12:48
Since we're on the subject...

you more likely to come across a Pilot with a degree than you are a HGV driver

A degree is not a requirement for either position so what would that prove? If we're going to speculate, then my guess is the best educated of the lot would have to be taxi drivers, since that's what every bugger who can't find a job in his area of expertise ends up doing in many parts of the world. Still doesn't make them better cabbies (except their conversation is more interesting).

My point is, your assertion that truckies don't have any qualifications is only correct insofar as we talk about academic studies, which air pilots don't have either. Both require, as yourself and Berks points out, "merely" a vocational qualification.

Just because one has an image of an airline pilot as a skilled person dressed in a smart uniform travelling the world in the company of young, pretty hostesses, it doesn't make him any better educated than the perceived dirty, overweight truckies inhabiting the country's motorway service areas.

This is not to say active airline pilots do not have carefully honed skills and a degree of training only found in a handful of other jobs, but it's just not something that you put in the "Academic Achievements" section of your CV. If anything at all, it gets a brief mention in the "Miscellaneous Qualifications" section of mine (along with my HGV and PCV licences :E)

AlphaMale
3rd Jul 2008, 15:18
Why do CTC state;

> have 5 GCSEs including Mathematics, English and a Science at grade C or higher (equivalent qualifications will be considered)
> have 2 A-levels (or equivalent), preferably in Mathematics and one other science based subject (Physics recommended) at grade C or higher

... For their selection process?

I don't see many driver training operators requiring their students to have minimum academic qualification for their selection process? I just sent a guy on his ADR training (4 days and 10 exams) and they didn't mention a selection process?

I only answered this threads title; "Whats a weel paid job if not PILOT".

Taking into consideration cost of training + potential pay + odds of landing that 1st job I think trucking might be a good one. Admittedly with the haulage operators protesting over the cost of fuel in London at the moment I don't think I'd like to work in any industry that relies too heavily on oil prices.

Unite is seeking a minimum gross salary of £36,000 per year for truck drivers, about £2,000 more than Shell drivers’ current gross pay.

… £36k isn’t bad when you think you’ll have a better social life working for Wincanton delivering fuel to Tesco fuel garages than being a 737 pilot. I worked for Tesco while at Uni and the tanker driver was complaining about the cut in overtime as he earned just short of £40k before overtime and big bucks after it.

Phil, the CCNA, CCNB, CCND and CCNP is my back up plan. I have a mate who is an IT support contractor and he's earning £40k+ (he has with him over 5 years experience and a degree). He knows a guy working in the same company who earns over £100k and has a CCIE.

Again, with no IT experience who in their right mind will pay you to fix their networks @ £300 - £500 per day?

Given the chance I'd like to go to koenig-solutions in India for 2 months to sit the exams and get into contracting when I come back, only I'd like to keep my holiday leave for flight training so it's a chicken & egg scenario for me.

Philpaz
3rd Jul 2008, 15:35
EADS who i used to work for were paying 270 a day for blokes straight from the factory because there is a mass shortage of people with the quals, and thats a low daily rate for Cisco boys.
And 36k a year is a dream for most hauliers, do you really think any company is going to give such a substantial pay rise to the drivers when fuel is hitting record levels? Gordon Brown is going to finish the job Maggie started and crush the unions, your average HGV 1 driver pulls in 20k a year, HGV2-3 is substantially less than that. Am i the only one thats noticed the number of eastern europe trucks on the roads these days. Huge fuel tanks full to the brim with diesel from a less tax obsessed country, cheap driver and to top it all a truck on a polish MOT cert that would pass aslong as there weren't more than 3 wheels missing. These are dire times for the UK haulage business.
But, things are probably rosier for a fresh faced yorkie bar man than a 200 hour newbie, and its a lot less to gamble with.

A friend of mine went to India and did his cisco cse, he passed all first time and was happy with the training. Good move if you can do it.

Paz

LH2
3rd Jul 2008, 16:18
Alpha,

Why do CTC state;
... For their selection process?

Who are CTC? Isn't that the name of an FTO?

I don't see many driver training operators requiring their students to have minimum academic qualification

That's because of offer and demand. With so many people wanting to be pilots, they have to filter as many out as they can. Same reason why it's a requirement to have a degree (no matter what kind) to become ATC in Spain, or to be a station chief at the fire service in that same country. The money and conditions are so good every man and his dog want to be there.

Funnily enough, I remember in the days when the economy was slow here in the continent, trucking companies did require the equivalent of A levels. Also (and admittedly very unusual), the bus company I drive for when I have enough spare time actively look for qualified professionals to fill their temp slots. There is something satisfyingly amusing about having an engineer or a computer scientist driving a tourist bus :)

Regarding IT, it pays reasonably well (before tax anyway), but you're full on in the rat race, which is not exactly what most aspiring pilots dream of. Still a good way to fund your training, though.

spernkey
3rd Jul 2008, 16:41
Read a great book called "Freakonomics" recently which helped me see how and why i became a door to door salesman having completed a degree in Particle Physics and done a stint as an Army Officer.
Without realising it most folks go for status above income whilst claiming to be money motivated! Bizarre really. The book explains it all.