PDA

View Full Version : Happy Canada Day!

wrenchbender
2nd Jul 2008, 02:26
O Canada!
Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.
With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!
From far and wide, O Canada,
We stand on guard for thee.
God keep our land glorious and free!
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

Ô Canada!
Terre de nos aïeux,
Ton front est ceint de fleurons glorieux!
Car ton bras sait porter l'épée,
Il sait porter la croix!
Ton histoire est une épopée
Des plus brillants exploits.
Et ta valeur, de foi trempée,
Protégera nos foyers et nos droits;
Protégera nos foyers et nos droits.

:)

sec 3
2nd Jul 2008, 08:18
Nothing personal, but it's probably the wimpiest national anthem on the planet. The Star Spangled Banner on the other hand, when you hear it you want to stand up and be patriotic, and I'm not even an American.

ex-beagle
2nd Jul 2008, 19:25
I like the Canadian national anthem better than the American one. The Canadian anthem is all about peace, the American one is about war.

Regarding standing up and being patriotic, go to a sporting event in Canada and you will hear a lot of spectators singing along to the national anthem. In the States, not so many people sing. I know of what I speak in this regard as I divide my time equally between the two countries.

This isn't meant as a cheap shot against Americans. I am American and most of my friends are American.

Canadapilot
2nd Jul 2008, 22:19
At least the Canadian anthem, although somewhat dull, does emphasise patriotism and how beautiful the country is. the UK on the other hand takes the award for the worst anthem...constant praise for a figurehead parasitic monarch without mentioning our fascinating history or country! I'd take O'Canada anyday over that!

av8r76
3rd Jul 2008, 12:32
Having worked at GM Place and watched countless hockey games I have to say that both anthems are amazing and have to hold back tears every time I hear them both. More so when the whole building sings along the Canuck anthem.

Hated the few times the American anthem was booed.:=