PDA

View Full Version : Dogs on the runway ! (message for Captain Doepka)

Harris eng
3rd Jul 2001, 22:34
Steps to keep dogs from BIA runways

Bangkok International Airport (BIA) has mapped out measures to prevent stray dogs from interfering with runway traffic, including repairing runway fences and a personnel ban against bringing dog food into the workplace.

The problem of stray dogs roaming the runway has become a safety concern following reports that some pilots had to delay the landing of their aircraft until the runway was cleared of dogs, airport director Pradit Monkolapiban said yesterday.

"The airport's control tower would receive occasional messages from inbound pilots that dogs were on the runway. They would refuse to land their aircraft for fear of hurting the dogs," an airport official said.

The stray dogs have claimed a nearby golf course, located on the eastern side of runway, as their home as they could feast on left-over food at the clubhouse, the official said.

Because the runway fence was in a state of disrepair, these dogs could cross over and roam onto the runway, he said.

Some airport workers may also have been bringing food for the dogs, showing a gesture of kindness but misleading the dogs to believe they are welcome in that territory, he said.

Bangkok chief veterinarian Chuchart Saichua said his office was prepared to assist in relocating the stray dogs if requested by the airport.

The city administration has two facilities to house stray dogs pending adoption. Private charities also run two other facilities.

The city has a population of more than 100,000 stray dogs.

In a separate development, Buri Ram Airport yesterday issued a ban on villagers bringing their cattle to graze near its runway.

Benjawan Somsin

U R NumberOne
6th Jul 2001, 01:40
Reminds me of a story I heard some time ago (although how true it is I wouldn't like to say).

Aircraft from the UK finals for an airfield in Italy, the RT exchange went something like this...

Pilot: Tower, can we have the PAPIs up on this runway.
ATC: Err...confirm there's a dog on the runway??
Pilot: No, not puppies on the runway, PAPIs, can we have the PAPIs!
ATC: Where is the dog, where is the dog??
Pilot: Oh forget it.

Personally, I've only had a fox a swan and a runaway wooden tool chest (seriously!) invade my tarmac.

Georgeablelovehowindia
6th Jul 2001, 03:26
Well, I had a TURTLE swim across the taxiway in front of me at Orlando Mc Coy, taxying in. As you can imagine, the preceding twenty minutes had been errm...quite exciting!!