View Full Version : Logging B777 IR0 Time

fly777rjk
28th Jun 2008, 21:54
I'm applying to a few carriers and need to know if any of my B777 IRO time can be considered command time. My view is occupying the left seat while the Captain is in crew rest may be considered command time. What do Cathay, Air India and Asiana think? Any thoughts?

lazy george
28th Jun 2008, 23:00
I agree mate if your in the left hand seat for any period of time your in command so its your command time, but dont think you'll get many answers here as closest most of us will get to a 777 is going seeing granny in oz. As it states in big red letters at top of forum page we are humble wanabees, fools, cannon fodder, kleenex, call us what u will. I'd settle with Di**heads at the present time.

Mat Sabo
30th Jun 2008, 02:14
Dream on..........unless you can con the Korean KMOCT like the Sud Afrikaneers who hoodwinked KAL into making them B744 skippers with only B744 cruise pilot hours!

Oxidant
30th Jun 2008, 04:18
Gentlemen, this has been done to death elsewhere....

A few simple questions;

1. Did the ATC flight plan have your name on it?
2. Did you sign for the aircraft in the technical log ?
3. Where you the companies appointed commander for the flight?
4. Have you done your companies command course & hold a command endorsement for the aircraft?

Any response to the negative & you are not PIC.:rolleyes:

TurboJ
30th Jun 2008, 08:27
Taken from UK CAA LASORS 2008

Cruise Relief Pilot

• A cruise relief pilot may log as pilot in command all
the time he occupies a pilot’s seat as relief for the
designated commander.

• He may log as co-pilot all the time he occupies a
pilot’s seat as relief for the co-pilot.

• He may log as PIC U/S all the time he occupies a
pilot’s seat and acts as pilot in command under the
supervision of the designated commander or his
relief.

TJ

GlueBall
1st Jul 2008, 01:32
Be mindful of the difference of "sitting in the seat" and "manipulating the controls" and of actually being the commander. Because if you are not checked out [and paid] as a commander by the company, then you may be overly creative in claiming PIC time.

captjns
1st Jul 2008, 08:58
While I agree the responsibilities are great… I can’t think of any carrier that would view an IRO more than a high paid bench warmer being sidlelined during the real action... departures and arrivals. Good luck.

amslerje
1st Jul 2008, 12:45
No, I have upgraded to captain in the Boeing 767 & 757 over the last year after being a 777 FO for over 6 years. It would be nice, however you are still not the final authority as if you were to divert; have an emergency, the first thing one would do was to wake the Captain up first to plan your next step.

I am a crew member w/ a major US airline is

OH, and all of our pilots on the 777 are Type Rated. If you did not sign the release w/dispatch or the Company, you are not the captain.