PDA

View Full Version : Active Aerospace

Gards
26th Jun 2008, 16:08
Looking for anyone that is a Canadian citizen that has completed a course through Active Aerospace during the tax years of 2005, 2006, and 2007. Please PM me ASAP.

Regards,

Gards

SEBI86
22nd Mar 2010, 13:03
Hi im looking for anyone who can tell me about active. what are the chances of gaining employment with the companies they provide crew for?

jurassic
26th Mar 2010, 17:54
Be very, very carefull.

Boeing737jock
7th Apr 2010, 04:31
Walt L...is a crook....don't go there!:mad:

troff
7th Apr 2010, 09:39
...so are the owners and operators of every aviation operation around the world.
From Max to the latest goofball running AC to the Makkovik Corporation... they all make my divorce lawyer look like an angel.
As for us pilots, we're all f'n saints, right? Never fudge a W+B, never bust minimums, never play the fuel game... naa, never.
Some time ago I was sent to Walt to do a course. I'm on other equipment now but then I got what I wanted while working through him.
Caveat Emptor. Let the buyer beware.

aviation_insider
26th May 2010, 16:12
These guys are so fake..
1stly , they hardly ever come on phone. After almost 3 days of emailing and ringing on their no i got hold of some guy who sounded rather PISSED!! :eek:

I asked him abt their A320 program and asked how it works.. He goes once u finish ur type rating and if ur instructor finds u suitable enough, they will arrange for the interview with some airline people. On asking which all airlines do they have tie up with. He bluntly told me thats against their policy and cant let me know abt the same..

But y not?? i asked, and he said there is no particular reason, its just the COMPANY POLICY !!:ugh:

Guys be AWARE !!:=

Boeing737jock
19th Jun 2010, 14:45
They are not They! but i single man, Walt..L ex-Canadian Airline B737-200 driver
very small office do very little rating( quality very very poor) he have no sim will rent somewhere, use some instructor here and there....

Just go to the big place, Pan-Am or power aviation in Dallas!:ok:

v_2gusid
21st Jun 2010, 03:31
Well I almost went to active aerospace and after going through this thread have decided to not go in for a type rating at least as of now .
If I do in the future It will have to be sim centre or panam

Pressurevalve
2nd Jul 2010, 15:16
:=:=:=
Although you might get the rating there you will also hear stories and excuses and your hours in the Sim shrinks towards the end :*. If you are after the word "Type Rating" on your license go for it although you can do that cheaper in the states.

The reason I say that is because you are trained to pass the ride and not to know the airplane. There are so many failures and procedures to follow however you hardly open the QRH with AA. Even the NPA was though wrong :ugh:.

Note: Everyone ends up getting the instructor's recommendation (you paid your money) it's part of the package, but no one gets an Airline interview :suspect:"It's a carrot". It's all a pile of :mad: rubbish he doesn't have ties with any Airlines. He banks on people who did the rating with him in the passed and now got jobs with Airlines. Here is the deal: you pass this cv for me I'll give you $500. He also expects you to do the same for him once you finish. I am still waiting for those connections...

A piece of advice if you have the time and money and care about the quality of your rating consider doing it in Europe or CAE Malaysia.

Asahi
3rd Jul 2010, 04:46
Agree with Pressurevalve :ok::ok::ok: If you really want to get a job, go for a large TRTO.

AA just a single man company, with a handmade trainer with a malfunction MCDU in a small room. Walt pretends AA is a large operator before you get in his room though.

b737NGyyc
3rd Jul 2010, 22:21
Run away, do NOT walk, RUN!!!!!!

wkr lazaruk
8th Jul 2010, 06:34
well gentlemen, I have read all the complaints. I think you have to consider the following:

1. I am in the type rating business not the employment business( read the web site).
As a courtesy to the students- i go out of my way ( with no charge to you) to see whether I can convince an employer or former student that is employed with an airline- to take a look at an exceptional student we would recommend.( I have been in busines for 14 years and do have contacts)

By the sound of the complaints- I have come to realize that it is not worth my time or effort to go out of my way to help students anymore.That will stop.

One has to also take into account that the complaints mostly come from two fellows that signed up for the online training but never took the course. I would assume the others were those that have either flunked the course or have not been recommended. An assumption? well consider the logic in someone who has passed the course and been recommended and or got a job thru us- complaining on this roumer mill.

Not too likely

W. Lazaruk
P.S. All students that get a job have to take the whole course again with the employer. The perspecitve employer is only interested in the certification and the performance record in the sim with us. (thus- a short course that only covers the basics and at a good price)

Gards
12th Jul 2010, 14:54
That is a great way to drum up business! Threaten not to help future customers as a result of a few who complain about the past! Great marketing technique!

NG320BSKT
29th Jul 2010, 17:12
I successfully completed my A320 Type Rating with AAT Canada a few months ago and found Walt's training and facilities highly professional and at the best prices around.. Although Active Aerospace is not as congested as some of the other competitors around, Walt definitely offers one on one individual instruction that makes a BIG difference especially to a pilot such as myself with no previous airline experience.
Accommodation was all organised by the company staying at the best B&B EVER and being able to come back after a hard day of system crunching and experiencing such a variety of exotic meals all prepared for you personally.
To all those who are so fast to criticise Walt and Active Aerospace, just because you were not able to land a job as soon as you walked out of the Simulator check ride does not mean you can point the finger at the instructors and the companies in which they work for. You can basically teach an Ape how to fly these big toys it is mostly the individuals overall performance, character and attitude is what the airline instructors are looking for and how you incorporate this into the flight deck duties

YKL
29th Jul 2010, 20:14
I completed my A320 training at Active Aerospace last month and just wanted to say that my type-rating course at Active Aerospace was a great experience. All the instructors took the time to make sure we understood and got the most out of each session. Before I enrolled to AA, i did not know which TRTO to go for. Then I was strongly recommended by my friend, he had completed the training at AA in February, and got an interview after 2 months. He is a FO on the A320 with one of the biggest Airline in China now.
The course was intensive but I am completely satisfied with the training provided by Active aerospace and I have learned many great techniques for operating an A320. I would highly recommend my friends to get their type rating from Active Aerospace.
I totally disagree the criticism toward Walt and Active Aerospace and it is unfair to him and his company.

troff
29th Jul 2010, 23:46
Some time ago I took a 737 course through Walt.
I struggled during the course, and I have struggled on occasion with the training process that pumps out airline pilots in this world.
I hate sim. But, I have managed to grind out a career and am now on a 777.
Walt got me going.
He's a different type of guy, no doubt, and his training style may not please everyone, but there is a method to his madness.
For some, it works. It worked for me.
T

ab700
1st Aug 2010, 14:18
Before I went to Active Aerospace and get the A320 rating.
I took information direct from the training provider and not from forums.
Once there I found people very nice and professional.
As low hours pilot, Walt and his instructors teached me and given me all the time needed to succeed in checkride.
Active Aerospace has the best course, best training, good environment and accommodation, and all at a best price. I believe it is the place where to go to be rated.

Abde

skidoodog
1st Aug 2010, 19:04
Looks a little thin Walt......

All but one is on their first post :=

Save your money people and go with a reputable training institution. There are many who will prey on the new and needy in this career. Avoid disapointment. Pay a little extra and go with an established, reputable institution. Do your homework.

Dog

chrisA320
8th Aug 2010, 05:38
Hi Folks,

I have been watching this thread for a while, to be honest since 2009, I wanted to get some A320 training and was considering with whom to do it. After reading all the blogs and posts and reviewing the other companies that some of you recommended I came to the conclusion that all the training providers offered the same number of hours and the same simulator with instructors that were all qualified to the same FAA/ICAO certifications, the only change was the price and at the end of the day we, all of us, are driven by the dollars. It wasn't something to consider lightly as, on top of the course, I had to pay for my flights to Canada and accommodation, food etc. I spoke to maybe a dozen different type rating providers some of them had everthing available in packages others didn't but the prices were all very competitive. At the end of the day I decided to go through Active Aerospace as all of the bits and pieces such as accomodation, food, transport to and from the training centre at Air Canada was all taken care of. This ended up being great as it took alot of the worry out of it for me.
Now to the program itself, The program began for me months before I actually arrived in Vancouver, I was sent hard copies and electronic copies of the A320 systems manual, aswell as the online tests that I worked through, 12 of them from memory. FIRST MAJOR POINT GENTS!!! DO THE ONLINE EXAMS AND LEARN THE WORK!!! Failure to do so will put you on the wrong side of the instructors at Active, they expect you do the theory before you get in the sim with them, and rightly so, if you understand the theory in the manual and Airbus Philosophy and technology in the aircraft, it is really a pleasure to get into the sim and be bashed about with failures.
SECOND MAJOR POINT, the training is designed to get the student ready for the airline programs. Its is important to consider this point because lots of you guys think that with a rating in bag you're a sure thing for that dream job! It dosen't work that way, what you have is a licence to learn. As a junior FO joining an airline on the A320 it dosen't matter if you spend 100k or 20k on your type rating YOU WILL GO THROUGH TRAINING AND MORE IMPORTANTLY SOP'S AGAIN!!!! So to many of the guys who didn't get a job right off the bat, wake up! If you haven't got the hide for aviation do the rest of us a favour and go drive a taxi, your complaints are boring the rest of us!
The training that Active offered included the training on the MCDU, which was a digital program on a new computer, the director of the company said he used to use the real thing (mcdu unit) but they were unreliable and so he made the switch to this new digital system, which worked perfectly for me everytime and because I actually DID THE WORK I WAS TOLD TO, it came together for me quite nicely in the sim. After the MDCU was mastered, into the FTD we went and thats the FIRST reality check your going to get! The instructors will know immediately, and so will your team mate, if you didn't study because you'll hold everyone up. The instructors AA uses are all affiliated with Air Canada which I thought was great because they knew where things were in the Air Canada facility, which is huge, and they knew the equiptment they were training you on. The instructors I had were professionals, they were to the point, and didn't take excuses which was perfect for me because I was there to work and learn!
As for the organisation of the course itself, it is important to remember that you are training on the same equiptment that the Air Canada crews use, it was really cool to chat to the Captain's and FO's that actually fly the A320. I was told that I may have to be consicious of the fact that I would sharing the sim with the Air Canada crews and shuffling may be required, but I am happy to report that we never had to switch with anyone, infact we moved our check ride forward as we got our sims done sooner than anticipated. The thing is guys you must be ready to do the course the way Active Aerospace tells you to, the instructors and the director have been organising this kind of training for a long time and know what goes before what so just follow the program, it does work well.
The check ride seems to be worrying alot of you so let me tell you the reality, for those of you who actually fly the A320, when was the last time you got in the sim for your recency check and didn't know what it would included? Let me tell you what WILL BE in EVERY check you do in your careers......YOU WILL EITHER GET; 1-INOP SITUATION, DP SITUATION, ELECTRICAL FAILURE, MISSED APPROACHED IN ANY OF THE AFOREMENTIONED AND OFCOURSE MY PERSONAL FAVOURITE, ONE OF EACH WITH APPROACHES and GEAR FAILURES TO GO WITH IT..... AND AN ANGRY INSTRUCTOR IN THE BACK YELLING AT YOU!!! (gotta love what you do eh?) If anyone thinks they know better than me regarding this last point I have an open mind and would love to hear from you, you can catch me at [email protected]

All in all guys I am very happy with the training I have recieved from Active Aerospace. If you want to chat about it in a less public arena my email is there and happy to help, but I am an Australia, thats GMT +10, keep that in mind.

Good on you Walt and your team of Professional over there.

jurassic
9th Aug 2010, 19:36
Isn't that funny how someone has been spending such a long time monitoring the forum when they are considering spending so much money to get a type rating, yet they only register for pprune this month. Monitoring this thread in particular since 2009, yet does not ask a single question and waits until now to register. And such glowing praise!!! I have a few type ratings on my licence and have been through training with several different instructors and a few companies. I may have glowing praise for much of my training, but there has always been something that you could bitch about. Sims go mechanical, schedules do change, instructors who are "old school" and teach through fear and intimidation. The training world is not just a bed of roses. Of course, I did get a chance to deal with Walt once. He is not the person described by chris320 unless he has had a major makeover, or maybe I was dealing with a doppelganger. Yes, there are stories about Walt. How about an airline that had to tell him to quit promising students that this airline would hire them. Yes, this airline was even named in his advertising. Did you ever hear the one about the 737 and the rescue saw? Funny story.
I really find it strange that the "people" supporting Walt and writing glowing praise are all new on the forum. Just a word of advice to Walt - register a bunch of names now, make a couple cheap no nothing posts with them and then when you pat yourself on the back on this forum, the poster won't be new!!
I just wouldn't deal with Walt again, just because I have very little good to say about him from my own dealings. That doesn't mean that he can't provide what he contracts for, it just means that I think anyone should really consider their options and go into any dealings with their eyes wide open.

RAZA320
11th Sep 2010, 11:39
I am a canadian ATPL working in Indian Ocean.
I did my first A320 type rating with Active Aerospace and I recently completed successfully both reccurent training and IFR renewal on the A320.It was hard because very intensive. All course was well organized. However, there was much more personnal work especially prior to start the course and CBT with daily review. Online ground school and manuals were very informative to pass exam without many problems.Walt also is very helpful and very professionnal.
I really appreciate my training with AAT. That's met my expectation.
I would highly recommend Active Aerospace Training to future candidate for type rating

Raz

onfinal1
21st Sep 2010, 03:50
hello Jurassic can you pm me would like some more info thanks appreciate it ..onfinal1

jurassic
15th Jan 2011, 01:06
Backup phone number is 911.

Hope you didn't send any money in advance!