PDA

View Full Version : Looking For An Accident Report (Saudia 163.)

Eff Oh
25th Jun 2008, 16:00
Hi Guys
I am looking for the official report into SV163 (Saudia Tristar Reg HZ-AHK) on 19th Aug 1980. It had an inflight fire and returned to Riyadh landing safely, sadly all 287 passengers and 14 crew members died in the fire.
I have tried google and all the usual haunts for information, but what I am looking for is the actual official full report. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Eff Oh.

BOAC
25th Jun 2008, 16:05
Cannot help with the report, but I guess that was the one where a pax started cooking supper in the aisle on a gas stove? If I recall correctly, there was either no or a very late evac after landing?

Edit to say after a Google it was not the 'fry-up' one, but smoke in the aft cargo. Best I could find was the 'unofficial' one on airliners.net, but I guess you found that one too.

Eff Oh
25th Jun 2008, 16:22
Yeah that's the one.
Landed, no evac, flash fire.

ray cosmic
25th Jun 2008, 16:34
Here not the report, but summary and CVR transcript:
ASN Aircraft accident Lockheed L-1011 TriStar 200 HZ-AHK Riyadh-King Khaled International Airport (RUH) (http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19800819-1)

BOAC
25th Jun 2008, 16:37
...and more http://www.pprune.org/forums/rumours-news/1359-saudia-plane-catches-fire.html

Eff Oh
25th Jun 2008, 18:36
Hi guys.
Thanks so far for your replys, but what I'm after is the full, official report. Cheers.
EO

slip and turn
25th Jun 2008, 18:45
Surprised if it isn't straightforwardly available. As you perhaps know, there was a cockpit re-enactment video used by some JAA ATPL ground schools as a case study in Human Factors.

I will have a trawl myself - I feel sure I found something definitive via Google a few years ago after I'd seen the re-enactment and wanted to compare it with actual data ...

mutt
25th Jun 2008, 21:36
Have the Saudi PCA ever issued an official report for "ANYTHING"?

Mutt

Eff Oh
26th Jun 2008, 10:46
Well Mutt, to be honest it had crossed my mind! :)

Lemurian
26th Jun 2008, 11:04
To my knowledge, the accident report has never been made public. I saw a resume that Lockheed provided the 1011 operators and parts leaked into the public domain.
I did long ago a short comment on the accident and found out that the main factor was a dreadful CRM in that flight deck, both in terms of emergency management and in SOPs. To say nothing about bad relationships and an excessive gradient of authority...
On the technical side, there were some theories about the origin of the fire and the most likely was an electric arc on a hydraulic line.
Two things prevented the doors opening :
1/-The crew did not change the pressurization controller program from a JED landing to a return to RUH...an error of 2100 ft.
2/-Normally after landing, the outflow valve would open to allow the cabin altitude to increase - but at the rate of only 150 ft/min...and then the fire destroyed the valve control electrical cables...The differential pressure prevented the doors opening, condemning everyone inside.

So, the links already provided are in all probability what you can get.

Eff Oh
26th Jun 2008, 11:19
That would make sense.
Thank you guys for all of your help. Would have been nice to see the full thing. If they did an investigation it would have been handy to make the report public!!!
Thanks again for your help.

IGh
27th Jun 2008, 20:05
Request from Eff Oh: "... I'm after is the full, official report...."

Lockheed L-1011 Tristar, HZ-AHK, accident at Riyadh,
Saudi Arabia, on 19 August 1980.
Report dated 16 January 1982,
released by the Presidency of Civil Aviation, Saudi Arabia.

This report is included in Aircraft Accident Digest [a number of photos, figures and appendices were not reproduced]. You should be able to locate the AAD Vol27 at a local engineering library:

ICAO Circular 178-AN/111, "Aircraft Accident Digest 1980" vol #27; pgs95-150. This AAD version does include many charts and drawings, and appears to be a full text version of the AAR.

Also see Nato AGARD CP#467 "Aircraft Fire Safety," pg 1-3, detailed technical analysis of fire, fire suffocation, cargo-liner hole, fire spread.
See also DG's"AD", pg 163-5. SB's"FC", pg 132-5.]

Before the advent of the web-internet, when I needed an AAR from elsewhere, I was often told to contact my country's investigating authority for distribution. Maybe AAIB would be your provider (??) of that AAR on Saudia163/19Aug80?

punkalouver
17th May 2009, 02:59
Here is the complete report:

http://accidents-ll.faa.gov/Saudi163/AircraftAccidentReportSAA.pdf

minimany
17th May 2009, 11:49
Thanks for posting the full report. It makes for depressing and chilling reading even at this remove in time.

punkalouver
18th May 2009, 20:34
Anybody from Saudi Arabia at the time have any details on the rumour of delayed action by on evacuation due to the King's aircraft taking off right after the L1011 landed?