View Full Version : Can I fly an 'N' Reg in Europe with JAR FCL?

Grum
25th Jun 2008, 12:46
Dear all,

I'm sure this has been asked before, :O I tried a quick search but tricky if you cant search 'N'.

I have a UK ATPL, can I fly an 'N' registered aircraft, private ops, around europe if I already hold the type rating?

Think I already know the answer. := It's not in LASORS so where would I look to confirm?

Thanks in advance.

Nashers
25th Jun 2008, 13:15
ive been told before that you can only fly an N reg aircraft in the UK if you have an FAA licence.

im sure the answer must be in LASORS as i was browsing through it last night and think i may have seen somthing in the general info section.

Grum
25th Jun 2008, 16:51
Ahh. Ok i'll go back and have a look. Ta

BizJetJock
26th Jun 2008, 07:21
FAR 61.3 says that you can fly an N reg aircraft using a licence issued by the state where you are operating - i.e. within the UK a UK licence is fine. Similarly the ANO requirement for a licence is for one that is valid under the rules of the state of registry, so the FAR rule is OK.
If you ask the FAA, they tell you that as far as they are concerned a JAA licence covers the whole of Europe under this rule. I'm not sure that I would like to argue this point with a French ramp checker though:eek:

CirrusF
6th Jul 2008, 09:35
Yes, Bizjetjock is correct. If the JAR state that issues your licence allows it, you can fly within that state. So I can fly N in France (I have French licence, and the French DGAC allow their licence holders to operate N aircraft in France), however, I cannot fly N in UK.