PDA

View Full Version : A320 weather radar...

IFLY_INDIGO
19th Jun 2008, 23:29
can anyone tell me, the tilt we set manually is referred to what ? I mean, is it set in reference to flight path, pitch attitude, horizon ????????

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Q80Pilot
19th Jun 2008, 23:35
Referenced to the horizon regardless of pitch attitude.

IFLY_INDIGO
20th Jun 2008, 00:03
thanks .. now I remember after a bit of brainstorming.. that it is gyro stabilized to horizon...

thanks anyway

FlightDetent
22nd Jun 2008, 10:57
I am afraid there are very few gyros in an A320. :)
FCOM 1.34.60 p2: Radar 1 depends on ADIRS 1. ..... Zero represents the horizon, as seen by the ADIRS.

FD (the un-real)

compressor stall
22nd Jun 2008, 11:41
The TILT selector switch enables variation of the
antenna elevation angle in 1/4 deg. steps on a non-linear scale
graduated in degrees, within a range of +15 deg. (UP) to -15 deg.
(DOWN) in relation to a horizontal plane defined by the
stabilization system.

Hope this helps. :ok:

peacock1
22nd Jun 2008, 12:22
No matter what it's referenced to, it does'nt paint a very accurate picture until one is within 40 nm or so.....which is a bit late for formulating a plan to deviate.
So, as an aside to the first question, does anyone have any experiences, or info, as to whether the surface of the radome has any particular effect on the picture one sees on the ND.
My suspicions are that: Too shiny or glossily - painted radomes must reflect the signal that is returned to the radar from the weather, further attenuating such signals.
Maybe they should be painted black again......but the marketeers would never go for it!!
P1:cool:

Bula
23rd Jun 2008, 22:21
Weather mode and manual gain seems to work a treat at all distances, especially at higher altitudes. Just remember however that WX/TURB mode shows areas of turbulence as magenta within 40nm (inside precipitation). Excellent for the terminal area.

FlightDirector7
29th Jun 2008, 11:07
Hi IFLY,

antenna tilt, which causes the center of the radar beam to scan above or below the attitude reference plane.

Taken from FCOM 3 SUPPLEMENTARY TECHNIQUES. :)

So in simple words its the beam above or below the aircrafts nose. :ok:

Cheers

IFLY_INDIGO
29th Jun 2008, 12:36
buddy, I think your interpretation is bit wrong... what I understood is that tilt is reference to the horizon, which is also the reference plane for attitude (nose 5deg up, 2 deg down etc).... so the tilt is adjusted with respect to the horizon, not the attitude...

FlightDirector7
29th Jun 2008, 16:12
You fly High :O

Yes i correct my previous post, apologies for that, as you correctly pointed out, its with reference to the horizon, no matter what the Pitch.

Thanks once again

Cheers