PDA

View Full Version : Refund from AOL - how likely?

Ed Winchester
22nd Mar 2001, 00:07
Having used the AOL software for a 50hr/30-day trial, I decided it was useless, quite frankly!

Unfortunately, on trying to disconnect from AOL using their freephone number I was kept on hold for 2 hours, with no response. I then e-mailed them, asking them to remove me from their records and un-installed their software.

Imagine my surprise(!) to find that AOL had billed me on my February credit card bill. I tried another couple of times to disconnect, but gave up after 2 hour holds.

I then tried a different tack, and used their freephone number to 'make a billing enquiry'. Lo and behold I was only waiting 3 minutes and somebody spoke to me! I then explained my situation and they have finally taken me off their billing.

I never once used AOL after the period of the free trial, and I have written to them with the above details and requested a refund of the £29.98 which they have charged me over the last two months.

Anybody had a similiar experience - if so, what are my chances of a refund?

Cheers.

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/wokka.gif

Tinstaafl
22nd Mar 2001, 04:08
Contact your credit card supplier. Billing without authority is a big no-no.

Depends on the fine print that you agree to. If it says that the **only** way to cancel is by xxxx then that might affect things.

Ed Winchester
22nd Mar 2001, 04:38
Cheers, tinstaafl.

Unfortunately, it does say that the only way to disconnect is by phoning, which is ridiculous for an ISP! However, the fact that I was kept on hold for a total of 7 hours trying this method will hopefully persuade them to refund. (Probably a little naive on my part!)

Tinstaafl
23rd Mar 2001, 03:32
Jeez.....I'd run straight to my local Trading Standards office or Consumer Advocacy branch.

Don't let shoddy trading standards win.

Hope it goes well!