PDA

View Full Version : Special equipment!,how does it work

SUB320
13th Jun 2008, 14:46
Hi all,
Was flying out of london last week, we set an incorrect flight level on the FCU, few seconds later, were told by ATC that we were not cleared the level we had set but another!
Do ATC ( all of them ?) have such equipment, would anybody care to explain in simple terms how it works? Very interesting equipment in preventing busting levels!
Cheers

FinDir
13th Jun 2008, 16:51
The equipment you're referring to is Mode-S, the next generation from Mode-C. It allows controllers to see your selected flight level, speed, heading etc. by picking up the information from your transponder. Very useful in preventing level busts.

timelapse
13th Jun 2008, 17:44
And all units do not have mode S.. I believe LATCC and MACC do (London TMA and Manchester Area) but do swanwick AC have it yet? They didn't last time I visited there at least, I think because their displays have the sector's coordinated exit level in the data block after the flight level and exit code, instead of the mode S readout... someone care to inform me?

Defruiter
13th Jun 2008, 18:07
They don't. Just TC and MACC

13th Jun 2008, 21:31
Timelapse

We don't but its not because of the out level on the TDB, that can be changed to a number of things one of which hopefully will be the mode S readouts eventually. AFAIK its because they've made the decision to install iFACTS first in AC before mode S. Apparantley we don't need it as much as the LTMA and MACC. Silly decision IMHO as mode S should be an integral part of iFACTS, but money talks. :ugh:

SUB320
14th Jun 2008, 04:51
Thanks for your replies, appreciated

KiloKilo
19th Jun 2008, 12:38
MUAC has only partly access to the Mode-S information at the moment; Aircraft ID.

(Friendly reminder to all pilots; this should reflect your callsign - ICAO 3 lettre abreviation with tripnumber or registration as stated in the flightplan)

Radarspod
19th Jun 2008, 13:32
FCU/MCP selected altitude value is fed to the Mode S transponder in register BDS 4,0. Those NATS Mode S groundstations configured for Mode S enhanced surveillance extract that register data on a periodic basis, which is then displayed to controllers at units equipped with Mode S processing and display equipment - currently limited to LTC and MACC, although soon to be at ScATCC when move to new Prestwick centre.

Great stuff for preventing / detecting level busts! Other units in Europe aren't far behind. Strangely, IMHO the US seem to be a bit behind on this stuff.......

flybymike
21st Jun 2008, 23:46
Perhaps because they are concentrating all their efforts into bringing in ADS-B:)