PDA

View Full Version : Svfr Status

Michael Schumacher
11th Jun 2008, 16:11
Hi all,

Did anybody hear about SVFR outside the CTR? As I know, and according to ICAO docs, SVFR exists only WITHIN CTR! But one of our instructors claims that such flight should be handled as SVFR or even IFR once outside CTR and inside CTA??? If so, then what's the purpose of SVFR?

Thanks all!

RustyNail
11th Jun 2008, 17:36
You are correct.

SVFR only applies within Control Zones.

Neptune262
11th Jun 2008, 18:43
Try reading page 205 of the following

http://vateud-td.org/downloads/operations.pdf

Maybe this is what your instructor means?

criss
11th Jun 2008, 18:52
I believe its poorly worded. What its supposed to mean is that a traffic outside the CTR but which wants to enter the CTR may be issued the SVFR clearance if no VMC exists. But it doesn't change the fact that SVFR is possible in the CTR only - its obvious the inbound traffic should receive clearance before entry, but for the SVFR flight INSIDE the CTR.

Spitoon
11th Jun 2008, 21:03
As I read the Oz rules it seems clear that SVFR can be issued for a flight in the CTA but only for the purpose of entering or leaving the CTR (which I would interpret as taking-off or landing somewhere in the CTR). This makes some sense from a safety point of view because it permit the SFR to fly at a sensible level rather than trying to stay under a bit of CTA in what could be marginal wx conditions.

But the ICAO definition of SVFR is quite clear on this - A VFR flight cleared by air traffic control to operate within a control zone in meteorological conditions
below VMC. In PANS-ATM it also says special VFR flights may be authorized to: enter a control zone for the purpose of landing, take off and depart
from a control zone, cross a control zone or operate locally within a control zone (para 7.13.1.3).

So Oz differs slightly from ICAO, perhaps other States also have different rules. FWIW, from what I recall, the UK has gone through several changes of rules over the years that I've been playing with aeroplanes. Although my memory seems to be fading with age I think at various times you could do SVFR in any controlled airspace, for a while it was only in the CTR and for inbounds and outbounds to the airport at which the ATC unit was located, then it was OK for inbounds and outbounds to strips within the CTR. Now the rules seem to permit transits again!

On the original question, I think I would ask your instructor, in a nice way, what the reference is for his statement and then go and look it up. If it's not clear or you still think he/she's wrong ask to go through it together.

As to what's the purpose of SVFR? I've always assumed that it's to let GA aircraft (generally) with limited experience and VFR pilots without instrument qualifications to get in and out of a controlled aerodrome in a managed way that doesn't present hazards to IFR aircraft. Thus, I have no problems with SVFR in a CTA....but it might be a long wait before I can issue a clearance.

Michael Schumacher
13th Jun 2008, 06:22
Thank You all for your participation!

It is just as I and 98% of ATCOs in my unit think. I hope our chief instructor will be persuaded to change his point of view and accept that he's wrong.