PDA

View Full Version : St Mawgan Joins

extalex
11th Jun 2008, 16:00
Heya Guys,

I was just wondering if someone could fill me in on the current procedure for airway joiners out of SMG?

I understand that LACC prefer for joiners at EXMOR/DAWLY to be FL230 or above. Does this mean that SMG prenote the departure and recieve the join directly from LACC - meaning SMG can control within TRA001. Or does this all go via London(Mil)?

Cheers Guys,

Alex

Widger
11th Jun 2008, 16:13
Depends where they are going. If they are going up R8, then they need to be above FL195 by Dawly or they drop out of CAS the other side. If going southbound or northbound, then I would imagine it is the highest level available. (FL170 if northbound due to Cardiff delegated CAS). If within 10 minutes flying time, you will get a pre-departure clearance.

No this clearance does not approve St Mawgan to control in TRA001. The only units who can are LACC, LATCC MIL, Yeovilton and Plymouth Mil, so one of those would be appropriate, dependent on capacity/time of day/day of week.

For joins at GIBSO, Plymouth Mil or LATCC Mil are best placed.

Hope this helps

extalex
11th Jun 2008, 16:20
Widger,

Thanks for that info. Much appreciated. Working on a guesstimate of about about 12-14 minutes to DAWLY from SMG. I Guess it's nearly all departure instruction and then over to London(Mil)!

Cheers,

Alex

Widger
11th Jun 2008, 22:45
No problem,

Don't forget that during the working week, Plymouth Mil are available and can see down to 1000' in the St Mawgan overhead all the way east to Selsea Bill and north to Bristol. I am sure they would be more than happy to offer an ATS between Newquay and N864.

Widger

Raven30
12th Jun 2008, 18:58
St Mawgan cannot control in TRA001.

ST Mawgan departures into CAS are determined by the status of TRA001. If active(normally 0830-1800L Mon-Fri), then flights are handed to LATCC Mil who will arrange the airways joining clearance and handover to civil. If inactive St Mawgan will obtain an airways joining clearance from the civil sector and pass it to the aircraft once en route. If the transit time to the joining point is within 10 mins, the clearance will be preflight and the aircraft not released until the clearance obtained as mentioned by Widger. Time to Dawly obviously depends on type but for jets 12 mins is the norm, DHC8 etc about 15 mins. St Mawgan have an agreement with LACC and normally release the aircraft to the civil sector with approx 30nm to run to CAS and an instruction to climb in accordance with their clearance. For the longer legs outside CAS ie Exmor, a climbing clearance is usually negotiated with LACC, removing the need for a stepped climb.

If you need more info a call to St Mawgan Supervisor will fill any gaps!

13th Jun 2008, 10:26
EGDG act as "agents" for London ACC whenever they pass a joining clearance on our behalf. This is a common and widespread practice throughout the UK.
You can request a join at EXMOR northbound at any convenient level; however the choice of level will be relevant to how the request is handled....e.g. FL160 and below...ask Cardiff who have delegated airspace during the day and evening. Above that it will be London ACC [Swanwick].....who enjoy excellent relations and have agreements on traffic handling with St Mawgan and/or London Mil and/or Plymouth Mil.
During the day there are level limits on northbound jets to enable more traffic to be handled by the complex set of sectors that need to be opened to handle demand.
Lowest eastbound level on R8 means join at DAWLY FL210 minimum.
[Below that you need a crossing clearance of N864]
Join BHD-SKERY southbound...airway base FL85....so normally FL90 minimum.
We can construct a clearance in some shape or form to suit most requests, subject to the current traffic situation of course.
As an aside I should mention that Exeter are particularly helpful at the lower levels in their area. They help us out frequently whenever Plymouth Mil are closed.