PDA

View Full Version : Controller Rest Breaks

sickBocks
10th Jun 2008, 20:27
Hi all
I have a friend who is trying to convince her bosses that rest breaks are a good idea at work (she works in a gym so many of the staff don't get a chance to sit down all day or if they do it's for a short period). Anyhow she's collecting info regarding rest breaks in different professions and was wondering about Air Traffic Controllers. Yes I know working in a gym isn't a safety critical environment.

So - How frequent are yor breaks and how long are they?

Ta

sB

timelapse
10th Jun 2008, 20:34
In the UK it's mandated that controllers have a break every 2 hours for at least half an hour.. as well as a LOAD of other regulations involving working hours..

more here.. http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP670.PDF

Part D, section 2, right at the back ;)

I believe that some units are classified as "enhanced relief" which means that the maximum is 1:30.. Heathrow is one, so is Gatwick.. not sure about others

Use the Force
10th Jun 2008, 20:39
I think working in a gym is safety critical. I am always one step away from a heart attack.:O

CAA website. CAP 744

NudgingSteel
12th Jun 2008, 10:01
Good luck to your friend. The max 2hours on / 30mins off is a very civilised system (and one that pilots obviously don't get), especially when you also consider the minimum time interval between, say, early shifts or night shifts.
However, the reason for the SCRATCOH regulations is to minimise the chances of fatigue causing an ATCO to make an almightly balls-up. i.e. it's entirely for the benefit of the customers. In non-safety critical industries I'd imagine it would be near impossible to justify very regular breaks, given you need to employ more people to cover.

pablissimo
12th Jun 2008, 12:18
There are certain dispensations for smaller airfeilds that have low traffic numbers...City of Derry I think is every 4 hours as far as I know....

360BakTrak
12th Jun 2008, 12:33
The same dispensation can be promulgated at any aerodrome subject to approval by SRG in certain traffic levels. We can use the 4 hour dispensation in periods of 'light' traffic, ie less than 8 movements per hour. Comes in useful during naff weather!

ZOOKER
12th Jun 2008, 13:34
I'm sorry. I must be missing something here.
What useful 'work' takes place in a gym? Are cures for diseases found? Are cars serviced? Is someone looking for a solution to the forthcoming global oil shortage? Maybe shoes are repaired?
No, I though not. UTTER BULLSH*T! And nothing to do with the ATC profession either.
NEXT.....

Ivor_Novello
12th Jun 2008, 15:53
Are cures for diseases found? Are cars serviced? Is someone looking for a solution to the forthcoming global oil shortage? Maybe shoes are repaired?

Haven't seen any of the above happening in an ATC centre either.. ;)

Me Me Me Me
12th Jun 2008, 16:09
I'm sorry. I must be missing something here.
What useful 'work' takes place in a gym? Are cures for diseases found? Are cars serviced? Is someone looking for a solution to the forthcoming global oil shortage? Maybe shoes are repaired?
No, I though not. UTTER BULLSH*T! And nothing to do with the ATC profession either.
NEXT.....

What might go on in a gym is that people learn some manners, humility and people skills. Maybe you should visit.

Nice examples though:

Exercise could be argued as a partial cure for heart disease, among others
Cars serviced? with a global oil shortage? No... people serviced, so that they may better commute under their own steam and save on the scarce oil.

NEXT.....

ZOOKER
12th Jun 2008, 16:11
"Haven't seen any of the above happening..."
No. You probably wouldn't.
From what I've heard on the radio, ATC centre staff are far too busy. Tower staff might have some spare time to carry out useful research though.
I have heard of the Ivor Novello Awards, (allegedly, for services to entertainment). -Sadly on this occasion you have been unsuccessful. :}

ZOOKER
12th Jun 2008, 16:40
Anyway,
Why would anyone in a gym want a rest break? Surely the whole idea of attending such an establishment is to leave tired and exhausted.

ISaidRightTurns
12th Jun 2008, 17:55
Informative discussion to useless communication breakdown in 7 posts.

Not a record, but good effort none the less.

Loxley
12th Jun 2008, 18:20
Anyway,
Why would anyone in a gym want a rest break? Surely the whole idea of attending such an establishment is to leave tired and exhausted.

What an arrogant, pompous arse you come across as Zooker.

sickBocks, take no notice of this nob jockey, most controllers are normal, happy go lucky types who don't think they're above most mere mortals :rolleyes:

As some of my colleagues have already mentioned, the relevant documentation you're looking for for legal controller breaks is in CAP744. Hope this is of use.

sickBocks
13th Jun 2008, 21:30
Thanks for all the replies - it should help the case study a little - particularly the JARtastic link.

Every village needs an idiot

ZOOKER
13th Jun 2008, 22:44
Sockbox,
"JARtastic" ---Splendid word!