PDA

View Full Version : B747 Tailstand

westafricaops
10th Jun 2008, 00:49
Does anyone make or has anyone seen a portable tailstand for the B747F?
When I say "portable" I mean something that can be loaded on the aircraft.

Thanks,
Wes Afra

ScootCargoOps
10th Jun 2008, 11:02
In 10 years, never heard of a portable tailstand but you never know with remote airport operations.

No possibility of a nose tether point?

GlueBall
10th Jun 2008, 13:01
At HKG cargo ramp all parking stands include nose gear tether, so no tail stands necessary. :ok:

westafricaops
10th Jun 2008, 15:21
Nose tether is too high tech. We are looking at 3rd world airports.
Have not hauled any cargo out of the new airport HKG. Hauled a lot out of the old one and it was always tailstands.

CR2
10th Jun 2008, 17:24
Tail-stands are more trouble than they're worth. Load/unload the aircraft correctly & you won't need one; use the fwd belly as your "counter-weight".

And no, never heard of a portable one.

18-Wheeler
10th Jun 2008, 23:58
Load/unload the aircraft correctly & you won't need one;

So people never make mistakes?
Happens all the time, and plenty of tail-stands have saved plenty of aeroplanes.

Junkflyer
11th Jun 2008, 01:13
A very large strap wrapped around a pushback tug will work. Correct loading will also work, but I've seen many pictures of airplanes sitting on their tails due to improper loading.

knehibiju
11th Jun 2008, 01:43
I'm assuming from your handle that you are located in Lome, but I could be wrong. Anyway, if that's the case see if the Atlas ground folks are still there and they can give you the low down on what you need to do.

CR2 pretty much sized it up so I refer to his post. As to tethering the nose gear to a push tug, at most places their a premium and if their sitting in front of your airplane the meter is running.

Cheers

Sleeping Freight Dog
11th Jun 2008, 05:18
"I'm assuming from your handle that you are located in Lome, but I could be wrong. Anyway, if that's the case see if the Atlas ground folks are still there and they can give you the low down on what you need to do."

Just make sure they double check the section on loading oilwell
equipment.

elobeid
11th Jun 2008, 10:19
Sounds like you may need a Loadmaster as well ??

CR2
11th Jun 2008, 11:55
Sorry 18 Wheeler, I respectfully disagree. I takes a darned good effort to tip a 74; a L/M's job is to ensure that does not happen.

Tail-stands are rarely used correctly; once installed, there should be someone monitoring the strain-gauge to ensure the tail area is not being over-stressed. The tail-stand should then be adjusted. How often do you see that? What I have seen a couple of times is the tail-stand slip off the "ball", piercing the APU.

More trouble than they're worth. A good loadie is cheaper. :)

layinlow
12th Jun 2008, 15:57
I've seen pictures of jumbos on their tail from improper loading, the most recent in the offic enext to mine. I have also seen a tail stand, but it sure looked like a unwieldy tripod on wheels.

RampTramp
12th Jun 2008, 17:19
Gotta agree with CR2, there are a lot of aircraft that are trickier to load that don't have the provision for a tail stand.

Follow the procedures and load sequence & you won't tip it. Yes, people make mistakes but isn't that the result of man/machine interface & if you get it that wrong, even a tail stand or nose tether won't stop the aircraft from being grounded.

RT

egwechris
12th Jun 2008, 18:43
Wes Afra,

Used to work for a 747F handler. I understand your problem - some carriers insist on using one when loading heavy lumps. We had 2 tailstands - 1 made by Hydro (http://www.hydro.de/), and 1 Dedienne. Unfortunately I think Dedienne went into liquidation.

If you manage to find one, be warned that it will probably need re-calibrating after transport! Good luck.

Chris

westafricaops
12th Jun 2008, 19:20
Thanks Chris,

I will spend some time on that web site.
Got to thinking-if an airport has a specialized piece of equipment like a loader that will reach a B747F, surely they will also have a tailstand. Don't you think?

Wes Afra

westafricaops
12th Jun 2008, 19:28
One more thing...

This aircraft has a placard back by the cargo door that says something about not loading or unloading cargo without a tailstand.
I remember some stories back in the days of the GATX door when the tailstand was removed before the door was closed and the tailstand had to be reinstalled before the loadmaster could close the door!

Wes Afra

greuzi
12th Jun 2008, 19:33
I have handled many well known and topical B747 operator and totally agree if you do it properly............... u won't ever tip one.

If in doubt tie the nose. Best I ever saw was a long oleo on a DC-8 73 bouncing but never more.

Loading the tail first is just waiting for a problem. An expensive one.

Do it right and you get out on time, in trim and everybody is happy.

Don't cut corners