PDA

View Full Version : RAF Controller

segui123
8th Jun 2008, 20:32
Thinking of Joining RAF as Air Traffic Controller. Anybody any info or views.

Gingerbread Man
8th Jun 2008, 21:16
If you haven't already found it, here's the specific section of the RAF careers website:

http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers/jobs/airtrafficcontroller.cfm?tab=thefacts

I've spent a little time in a variety of RAF towers - it seems interesting enough and the people who do it speak very highly of the job.

Good luck!

Ginger ;)

BEXIL160
8th Jun 2008, 21:51
The Dark Blue also offer a very good career in ATC

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/server/show/conWebDoc.687/changeNav/3533

Worth considering, but I'm biased

BEX

FantomZorbin
9th Jun 2008, 07:40
segui123

If your ambition is financial ... go civvy.
If you wish to have an interesting, diverse and testing life ... go Services.

Remember that, on the whole, Military and Civvy ATC are different techniques operating in different environments; both are staffed by professionals of the highest order.

'Tis many years ago that I sported a headset so write a letter to the Senior Air Traffic Controller (SATCO) at your nearest civilian and military ATC unit seeking permission to visit - keep on trying if you get rebuffed.

All the very best.
FZ

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
9th Jun 2008, 09:07
If you are interested in the "military" side, like running around in flak jackets when it's 30 degrees, fine. If you are primarily interested in ATC then I would recommend NATS.

anotherthing
9th Jun 2008, 10:12
I think 'very' might be pushing it Bex!

ATCO Fred
9th Jun 2008, 10:36
If you are interested in the "military" side, like running around in flak jackets when it's 30 degrees, fine. If you are primarily interested in ATC then I would recommend NATS.

HD is absolutely spot on! In the services you are an Officer/SNCO/boat driver first and controller second and there will be many occasions/posting when you will have nothing to do with ATC.

If it is the service life that appeals then go for it (you will experience things that you just can't get in civie street (down the lakes at 250ft 480 kts:ok:...being mortared:{))

If it's ATC that appeals.....go civil controller.

;) Fred

Widger
10th Jun 2008, 22:00
Quote:
I think 'very' might be pushing it Bex!

Why do you say that? No retention issues, recruiting on the up and this to come:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/europe/images/cvf-thales-2005-stovl-image1.jpg

BEXIL160
10th Jun 2008, 22:33
Now that I like.... no steam catapults, wires or strop catchers though......

Plenty of scope for splash target Pilots.......;)

ABC111 where are you? Time to swing the lamp....

rgds BEX

anotherthing
11th Jun 2008, 14:41
Widger,

I say it because it's still dead mans shoes when it comes to promotion above 2 and a half; and even then a lot depends if you happen to be in the right place at the right time and fit in with the appointing cycle.

Hence why I made the comment in direct reply to the idea of 'career' which is what Bex mentioned. If you consider career not to include promotion prospects, then fair enough!

However on the flip side, I would say that the variety of jobs as an ATCO in the RN is better than in the RAF - they (Crabs) have a lot more bases, but not the diversity.

You are correct, retention is not a major issue, but how much of that is to do with job/pension security and the 'fear' of letting go of that safety net, as opposed to how good the 'career' is?

ADIS5000
11th Jun 2008, 15:07
Segui123,

If you're thinking military, then also check out Fighter Controller (both Navy & RAF). Similar skills to ATC but you get involved in the actual air war, tactics etc. However, financially you would be far better off going civil ATC especially NATS.

Regards, ADIS

Widger
11th Jun 2008, 16:24
You are correct, retention is not a major issue, but how much of that is to do with job/pension security and the 'fear' of letting go of that safety net, as opposed to how good the 'career' is?

Nope, I would say it is because the branch has such a great number of thoroughly decent, caring and capable managers, who look after their staff, ensure people's careers are mapped out ahead of them, encouraged to take part in sport, presented with the opportunity to travel and are highly valued.

That's what retains people (although money does help).
;););););)

Lurking123
11th Jun 2008, 16:31
.... and the opportunity to be educated in the correct use of apostrophes. :p

niknak
11th Jun 2008, 18:11
In the services, you are an Officer first (as with all ranks) and an ATCO second.

If you think you'd enjoy service life, being told/ordered what to do until you reach a rank where you can tell more people what to do than can give you orders, then the RAF or RN is for you.

You either join up with the intention of getting sufficient experience to come out after a significant period of time and taking the Civilian route (at the moment that means taking all the CAA courses, although that may change), or you stay on as a career officer - staying where you are or climbing the ranks, as you'd prefer.
Don't even think about Fighter Control :rolleyes: - if you're offered that career path, walk out immediately and seriously reconsider what life has to offer you.

There's nothing wrong with a military career, it really depends on where you see yourself in 20 years time and how you can use the Mil' route to enhance your prospects.

17th Jun 2008, 15:08
Segui123,

As an RAF Controller myself, I am forced to concede that you will ultimately spend more time (during the course of your entire career) controlling if you are a civvy ATCO rather than a Mil ATCO. I am a 'first tourist' so have only been controlling for two years; probably have another controlling tour ahead (three or so years) then will most likely be doing more of what we call 'general duties' work i.e. non-controlling jobs.
The question to ask yourself is do I purely want to control or do I someday want to be involved in policy making too? Also, in the services, you will be able to make a contribution to wider issues concerning military aviation outside pure ATC. For me, this is appealing, but I understand it is a turn-off for others.
Opportunities for experiences you simply cannot gain in civvy street are also abundant.

Good luck with your choices! :ok:

Lurking123
17th Jun 2008, 17:10
790119167 - please don't take this the wrong way but you're not right with some of what you say. I have spent 23 years in the RAF as a controller (officer) and, in that time had 10 tours. In all but two of those tours (a total of 4 years) I have gained operational/working endorsements in my 'blue book'.

19th Jun 2008, 17:07
Lurking 123,

I sincerely hope to follow in your footsteps then! Certainly not ready to step away from a radar anytime soon.