PDA

View Full Version : Question about the runway requestion

caucatc
8th Jun 2008, 10:53
I have a question about the runway requestion from the pilots .
Now we use 36R/18L for departure only ,36L/18R for both departure and arrival ,01/19 for landing only ,and we have two arrival sectors ,in theory ,the planes come from west use runway 36L/18R ,and the plances come from east use 01/19 ,but due to the terminal building and their aprons assignment ,some of them need to taxi nearly 20 minutes if they do not change the runway .So ,from the day we begin to use 3 runway altogether ,the pilots keeping requesting the runway ,some of them even request runway when they are far away from approach area !!
I want to know how does the ATC in busy airport deal with this problem ? Do pilots request runway also ? Especially in Heathrow approach ,there is a new terminal building for British Airways ,will the pilots request use the runway close to that terminal building also ?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
8th Jun 2008, 11:53
At many major airports, Heathrow included, the choice of runway depends not only on wind but upon environmental factors. At Heathrow there are many people living under the approaches so the runways are changed to spread the noise and not to make it easier to taxy to the terminal. Pilots may request a particular runway but, unless they have very special reasons, they will be refused.

Dream Land
8th Jun 2008, 12:06
I want to know how does the ATC in busy airport deal with this problem ?This is not a problem in most western countries, ARTCC controllers feed aircraft to Terminal controllers and if not too busy will pass on the request, terminal controllers will try to accommodate as long as traffic permits, quite a different mindset then what happens in Asia. :rolleyes:

caucatc
8th Jun 2008, 12:37
To make you understand my question ,I will say it again .
For example ,the airport is using the runway 36L/R and 01 ,and we are very busy ,some pilots request runway 01 ,because their apron is close to 01 , but he comes from west , he should use 36L .In fact ,we know which runway is the best for the airline ,but when we are busy ,we really can not do that ,that enhance the conflicts and when we have the first contact ,they always say the request again even if the previous sector has passed the request to us ,that enhance a lot of transmission !

Red Dragon
8th Jun 2008, 13:06
caucatc,

If it is one particular operator that is making the requests it may be a good idea to contact their operations department and explain to them the problems their requests are causing you.
Failing that perhaps it may be a good idea to publish an AIC for inclusion in your AIP, or possibly a NOTAM if it is that serious.
If the reason for not accommodating the request is operational i.e. traffic then don't be afraid to say no. From experience, you can get yourself into a lot of trouble by agreeing to something that needs a lot of work to achieve.

RD

bigmanatc
8th Jun 2008, 15:55
While on the subject of requests....why do you need to know your parking bay at 120 DME....?:eek:

SINGAPURCANAC
8th Jun 2008, 16:35
I don't have any experience as ATCO in that question(and many other questions as well) but as someone who always reading something I think that Zurich airport operations and associated ATC has some softwer and equipment relating to this problem. I saw more than 120 Nm before LSZH on the board screen info called " granted connection" with gates infos for passengers in transit and parking position for this a/c as well. So they have it well in advance. With such information available on time, life for airoprt operations and air carriers is easier. If they have such kind of infos well in advance than it is possible to have such info on ATCOs radar screens as well. If this info exists than you may try to find an appropriate action to vector it for final position that best suits for them. A few years ago head of airport operations at LSZH explained in Airports intl. how they worked.
It may help. But it also could be worthless becuase it is different scale . LSZH is not so big and there is no huge taxi time. And do not forget. Majority in Switzerland are very organized.:ok:
So contact LSZH

caucatc
2nd Jul 2008, 09:42
What about in Heathrow ? If British airway is assigned to a runway which is the farthest to their new terminal ,how long will it take to taxi and do they usually request the runway ?

NigelOnDraft
2nd Jul 2008, 09:56
BA @ LHR: The new "T5" is between the 2 runways, so this is not a factor. T4, that we are moving out of, is very much better for the South Runway. However, the runway alternation at LHR is strict, and there is little chance of using it out of sequence. ATC are aware, and when permitted / available e.g. landings on 09R, I would leave it to them to offer - as you say, ATC know which is better.

While on the subject of requests....why do you need to know your parking bay at 120 DME....?Depends on airport, but can affect Pax Handling e.g. Wheelchairs v Highlifts, connecting passengers, Ground Power etc. The Taxi in and parking is part of the approach brief, so if the information is available prior ToD we ought to seek it out...

NoD

2nd Jul 2008, 10:16
The "C" in "ATC" stands for Control. You control the traffic and the pilot flies the aeroplane. If you let the pilots dictate which runway they want then you are creating problems for the future......as well as a potential for unsafe or dangerous traffic situations. No problem when quiet, but they expect the same service even when you are too busy. It requires a disciplined attitude and compliance with the normal operating procedures once you have decided which is going to be your designated runway[s].
Sometimes the pilots will benefit....other times not.
ATC are always prepared to make an extra effort for a particular request.....and if you have any problem may I suggest..."that runway will be available but expect a 20 minute delay due other traffic!"

NZScion
2nd Jul 2008, 12:23
Also remember that pilots may not be aware of traffic preventing their use of a particular runway. If the aircraft is still many miles out and perhaps still on an area frequency, they may not know what traffic is like at the destination. If a pilot asks for a particular runway, a polite refusal such as "Runway XX unavailable due XXX" goes a long way.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
2nd Jul 2008, 12:26
<<..."that runway will be available but expect a 20 minute delay due other traffic!">>

Or as a colleague at Heathrow said to an inbound who asked to land on the departure runway: "Negative; we are keeping that runway for your departure later".

caucatc
2nd Jul 2008, 14:13
Thanks for your suggestions ! They are really very helpful to me !
You know what ,today a pilot ask us "we inisit to request runway 19 , that is a long taxi on 18R ,it costs a lot of fuel you know ?" It seems that we do not want them use that runway which may convient them on purpose !!!!!!
I also want to know that if the pilots request runway very often in US or UK ? Sometimes I am really mad about those crews ,we always need to add "if runway 01 is available ,final will notice you " that enhance a lot of transmission especially in rush hour ,but it seems not good if you do not reply his request .
Another thing I want to know is how long does it usually take for an aircraft to taxi to the apron and what is the longest time you have known to taxi ?

Thanks again