PDA

View Full Version : Overdue action?

TotalBeginner
5th Jun 2008, 19:47
A VFR FPL was filed in our ops department for a flight operating from EGXX to EGXX. There was an error in the DOF field and it was filed for the current date instead of the following day's.

The flight plan was never activated (because the operator intended to fly the following day) and no DEP message was sent. However, when the aircraft didn't arrive, the ATC assistant in the tower started ranting on about instigating overdue action.

Is it normal to start overdue action on a flight plan that hasn't been activated by either a DEP message or an ATSU?

autothrottle
5th Jun 2008, 19:59
Affirm old chap, they have to assume that a departure message was not sent. If no DLA message is recieved ,ATSU's MUST assume that the flight HAS taken place.

Dan Dare
6th Jun 2008, 09:42
While I would like to agree with a/t as it would make my life easier, I don't think he/she is correct. Search action should be taken for active flight plans (as per MATS Part1 etc), but if a plan is pending, then it is only pending and it would not be possible to have a sensible time at which to start worrying.

However there are a number of scenarios where a DEP message is not communicated with the chaps at the aerodrome of destination, and I usually start chasing the flight if it hasn't turned up within an hour or two of the pending ETA - duty of care type of thing. This takes quite a lot of time and can distract significantly from the primary role of controlling air traffic so that your poor flight planning dicipline could be a contributary factor in loss of safety at an airfield far away...

Dannyboyblue
6th Jun 2008, 09:59
Happens all the time especially when an aircraft is coming in from a french airfield (other than LFAT LFAC and LFPB).

It only takes a quick phone call to confirm time of departure. We also have a contact number for the pilot if the aircraft has customs information.

Dont berate the assistant for spotting something that could have saved your skin and more importantly the possibility of knowing if an aircraft may be down somewhere.

DBB

TotalBeginner
7th Jun 2008, 07:46
Ok, I got some of the facts wrong for this scenario. Apparently the flight was coming from another airfield in the UK and he had NOT filed a FLP. He had requested handling and was added onto the flying program for the wrong day. This is faxed to ATC, who effectively "booked" him in. 30mins past his expected ETA they wanted to initiate overdue action.

vintage ATCO
7th Jun 2008, 07:58
I would not instigate overdue action is such circumstances. I do plenty of events where lots of people 'book in' and then don't turn up. If we instigated overdue action each time we'd have the mountain rescue goats running in all directions. :)

Neither would I instigate overdue action per se with a FPL and no DEP message. I may make enquiries however, and with some of these things it comes down to a 'feeling in the water' something isn't quite right.

Dizzee Rascal
7th Jun 2008, 08:58
Section 2 Page 9 of the ANO:

17.—(1) If the commander of an aircraft has caused notice of the intended arrival of the aircraft
at an aerodrome to be given to the air traffic control unit or other authority at that aerodrome, he
shall ensure that the unit or authority is informed as quickly as possible of—
(a) any change of intended destination; and
(b) any estimated delay in arrival of 45 minutes or more.
(2) The commander of an aircraft arriving at or departing from an aerodrome in the United
Kingdom shall take all reasonable steps to ensure, upon landing or prior to departure, as the case
may be, that the person in charge of the aerodrome or the air traffic control unit or flight
information service unit at the aerodrome is given notice of the landing or departure.
(3) Before an aircraft of which the maximum total weight authorised exceeds 5,700 kg takes off
from an aerodrome in the United Kingdom on a flight with an intended destination more than 40
km from the aerodrome, the commander shall cause a flight plan, containing such particulars of
the intended flight as may be necessary for search and rescue purposes, to be communicated to the
air traffic control unit notified for the purpose of this rule.
(4) The commander of an aircraft who intends to fly or who flies across any boundary of
airspace notified as either the London or Scottish Flight Information Region (apart from the
boundary common to each), shall cause a flight plan, containing such particulars of the intended
flight as may be necessary for search and rescue purposes, to be communicated to the appropriate
air traffic control unit within the London or Scottish Flight Information Region before flying
across the boundary.

notared
7th Jun 2008, 14:27
Definately would not instigate full blown overdue action if no departure message received( Nimrods helicopters etc) but probably send request news to dep. airfield for peace of mind