PDA

View Full Version : Atco in USA?

DAL208
5th Jun 2008, 11:01
How hard is it for a British ATCO to become an ATCO in the US? I know historically, the FAA have never really acknowledged the CAA Licence...does that mean you would basically have to start training all over again?
Also, Are the FAA like NATS where they just send you where they want to, or can you apply for a specific airport?

This query is regardless of Visa issues etc, just wondering how possible it was if one planned to go there in the long term...anyone have any experience or in the know?

Thanks. DAL

rogervisual
5th Jun 2008, 11:20
Unless you are a American Citizen the FAA will not even consider you. I can't see that changing , it would be too much of a political hot potatoe.There are a few older threads on here with more details. Although they have a shortage which is getting worse due to retirees going early, they have plenty of ex-mil guys wanting to get in to the FAA.

chevvron
5th Jun 2008, 14:38
I heard in the past that some towers are non FAA and are operated by Barton ATC Inc which I believe is owned by SERCo, so maybe you should ask SERCo.

DAL208
5th Jun 2008, 16:12
as i say...regardless of visa issues....if one was british and US dual nationality....that would surely make easier

elcrusoe
5th Jun 2008, 19:40
I'm dual citizen and i work FAA

rogervisual
5th Jun 2008, 22:27
The contract tower guys still have to be US citizens. SERCO(Barton), Midwest and the other one beginning with R.