View Full Version : Ready for departure--ready for takeoff

Pugilistic Animus
30th May 2008, 16:11
in line with runway safety I never use the phrase- when requesting a takeoff clearance--always in line with ICAO and with PAN AM/ KLM on the back of my mind--

---I say ----"anywhere tower, callsign, holding short of rwy three two ready for departure"---never had a problem---recently--I met a relatively new CFI and he says
I should ask for takeoff clearance---which is alway done by others, but I feel that takeoff should ONLY be used for a TO clearance---so, to help settle this, I've 'Ppruned' it

btw.... I'm US FAA, but would still like the worldwide perspective---can anyone convince me to change my phrasing---no--but still

Thank you Ladies and Gentlemen,

PA

deltaxray
30th May 2008, 17:34
Id seriously question his way of thinking.:bored: Im doing the ATPLS now (JAA) and all the books clearly say that you inform atc that your ready for Departure. Besides.....it makes sense when you think about it logically.:}

weido_salt
30th May 2008, 18:44
The word "takeoff" should not be uttered by a crew, until they have been cleared for takeoff. Then the takeoff clearance is read back as received including the cleared runway, after comfirmation it is the cleared R/W.

The word "takeoff" when heard is an alert to all other aircraft especially on the ground, there is imminent action about to take place on the runway.

If there has been a delay after receiving a takeoff clearance and brake release I like to say "rolling rw ***" to provide further alert. I know it is not standard phraseology but it still has it's place in some situations. Communication, communication ...................

18greens
30th May 2008, 20:35
The phrase also has the word '..clear...' in it which was the whole issue with Tenerife.

I think 'ready for departure' is the way to go and don't call clear of the runway when you land, call vacated, even though its harder to say.

Even at puddlejumper airfields the rt gets confusing.

Pugilistic Animus
30th May 2008, 23:46
Thanks folks, just what I expected...I did however make an error---he says ---I should say "ready for take off"----not mention clearance---it doesn't change things but I don't want to misrepresent a fellow airman's statement--

Acknowledged,
PA

Tarq57
31st May 2008, 05:08
How about just " XYZ, ready." ?
Might not be ICAO, but is clear...whoops...I mean understandable, and keeps things nice and concise.

Dream Land
31st May 2008, 07:18
I'm US FAA, but would still like the worldwide perspective---can anyone convince me to change my phrasing---no--but still As far as world wide perspective, there is no one way to operate, it's different everywhere, controllers where I operate are not able to carry on any conversation in English, only ATC phrases,

My phraseology is "Tower, ABC123 holding short of 25L at E6" I don't say anything about being ready unless they ask me, your procedure seems fine to me.

richie-rich
1st Jun 2008, 02:08
in aus, its "Ready RWY whatever" and then get to hold or line up or T/O

NZScion
2nd Jun 2008, 23:40
"Anytown Tower, ABC, Ready [Holding Point if needed]"

FlightDetent
3rd Jun 2008, 09:43
Lessons learned through the Los Rodeos tragedy found their way to regulations, so I was told.

Hence there are only four basic types of clearances:

CLEARED VIA/TO (route/destination)
CLEARED FOR TAKE OFF
CLEARED type APPROACH
CLEARED TO LAND

CLEARED = “Authorized to proceed under the conditions specified.“ ICAO Annex 10.

For the TAKE OFF word, it is either:
CLEARED FOR TAKE OFF (+ readback)
CANCEL TAKE OFF (+readback) and nothing else.

Also to be found in ICAO PANS-ATM:
b) REPORT WHEN READY [FOR DEPARTURE];
c) ARE YOU READY [FOR DEPARTURE]?;
d) ARE YOU READY FOR IMMEDIATE DEPARTURE?;
*e) READY;

j) REQUEST DEPARTURE INSTRUCTIONS;
k) AFTER DEPARTURE TURN RIGHT

and on the other hand: HOLD POSITION, CANCEL TAKE-OFF I SAY AGAIN
CANCEL TAKE-OFF (reasons);

This is ICAO stuff, though.

FD (the un-real)

Pugilistic Animus
3rd Jun 2008, 21:16
FD--and All other responders duly aknknowledged

Thank you very much { Ladies and Gentlemen} I learned some new stuff here---please don't mind me---discuss:)

PA

Check Airman
4th Jun 2008, 21:34
You should ask your CFI to show you where the AIM indicates "ready for takeoff" is standard R/T. When he can't do so, tell him about the Tenerife accident.

JammedStab
3rd Apr 2018, 02:46
Here is the ICAO example of what to say when contacting tower.....

"Metro Tower, Big Jet 345, approaching holding point C1"

https://www.skybrary.aero/bookshelf/books/115.pdf

Is this basically what most people are saying?

flyboyike
3rd Apr 2018, 14:00
Here is the ICAO example of what to say when contacting tower.....

"Metro Tower, Big Jet 345, approaching holding point C1"

https://www.skybrary.aero/bookshelf/books/115.pdf

Is this basically what most people are saying?

I don't usually use the term "holding point" unless ATC uses it first, which is common in Central America and The Caribbean.

Pugilistic Animus
3rd Apr 2018, 14:21
Thank you all for the posts and links

NB he was not MY instructor also I had many more hours him, at that time

We were just playing in Class G airspace for fun

AerocatS2A
3rd Apr 2018, 20:35
in aus, its "Ready RWY whatever" and then get to hold or line up or T/O

In Aus it's just "ready".

Little One
4th Apr 2018, 12:46
ICAO Doc 4444 (Which is the ATC version of the Good book) states

7.9.3.3 The expression TAKE-OFF shall only be used in radiotelephony when an aircraft is cleared for take-off or
when cancelling a take-off clearance.
Note.— The expression TORA, pronounced TOR-AH, may be used to indicate take-off run available.

An Chapter 12 stated the following as the phraseology
12.3.4.10 PREPARATION FOR TAKE-OFF

a) UNABLE TO ISSUE (designator) DEPARTURE (reasons);
b) REPORT WHEN READY [FOR DEPARTURE];
c) ARE YOU READY [FOR DEPARTURE]?;
d) ARE YOU READY FOR IMMEDIATE DEPARTURE?;
*e) READY;
f) LINE UP [AND WAIT];
†g) LINE UP RUNWAY (number);
h) LINE UP. BE READY FOR IMMEDIATE DEPARTURE;
*Denotes pilot transmission.
† When there is the possibility of confusion during multiple runway